Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Mike Alber
Votes |
What’s the etiquette?

Mike Alber
Posted Sep 11 2019, 00:48

I found a multi family house on a broker's site... but then, in researching, found it listed (more cheaply) on Zillow as FSBO. Any idea what the etiquette is here? I've emailed with the broker a couple of times now. Should I keep talking with the broker but try to get the cheaper price? Or go straight to the owner through Zillow and cut off contact with the broker? This feels like kind of an odd situation but maybe it's more common than I think?

Im very green and could use all the advice you’ve got. 

User Stats

Votes
DJ M.
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Southeast Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Southeast Michigan
Replied Sep 11 2019, 01:40

Well, if the owner has a listing agreement with broker, trying to cut him out completely is tort.

If you have been taking up the brokers time inquiring about that specific property, its kinda crummy to try to cut him out of the buy side regardless. Remember that agents, like yourself, dont usually enjoy working for free.

Youll burn some bridges in the long run trying to do what you want to do. 

User Stats

Votes
Saravanan Saravanan
  • Lender
  • Troy, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Troy, MI
Replied Sep 14 2019, 14:54

@Mike Alber It is unusual when the seller has a contractual agreement with a broker; trying to sell for cheaper price outside the listing agreement.  Unless; the seller put that before entering the contract and forgot to remove it.  If the seller still wanted to sell for a cheaper price; be transparent to your agent (if they spent time with you already on this property or given your access to see the lists), and settle for agreeable compensation.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Donald Robers
  • Kenosha, WI
Votes |
  • Kenosha, WI
Replied Sep 14 2019, 18:21

Even if you and the  seller reached an agreement without using the broker a commission would be due because you discovered the property on the broker's site.  Per your post above the broker was the proximate cause of bringing you and the seller together.