• Active Duty Air Force
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
Your thoughts.....

Eric Urioste
  • Active Duty Air Force
  • Albuquerque, NM
Posted Aug 24 2016, 20:23

Bigger Pockets community, how's it going.... I'm thinking about what moves to make in the near future and thought I'd ask for thoughts from anyone who's traveled my path before. I'm active duty AF, stationed in AZ until I retire in Nov. I'll be moving to the N. TX area where my parents and sisters live. So- my question is this... I've always wanted to get into commercial real estate, particularly strip malls. I think those would be pretty lucrative, but I'm no expert and just speculating about that. I've saved up a nice amount and have zero debt with a retirement and decent paying job waiting for me after I retire from the AF. I'll need a place to live when I get to TX, so I was thinking about getting into a 4-plex and hopefully living for free at the least, if not making positive cash flow. So, going back to my question, I've only been thinking about 4-plex's because I can use my VA loan since a 4-plex is considered residential. But, I guess I'm asking, should I continue on this route or should I consider something larger and go conventional? I'm restricting myself to the 4-plex idea because of financing. But I've read a lot of posts saying not to shy away from larger properties just because of financing. I have a good credit history, a little money saved up, a retirement and 2nd pay check coming in, and no debt. So- any thoughts??

Loading replies...