When looking at foreclosure or sheriff-sale deals, I’ve found that the biggest challenge isn’t finding opportunities — it’s deciding which ones are actually worth the risk.
With limited or no interior access, unclear occupancy, and incomplete lien info, I’ve been focusing more on early screening rather than trying to force numbers.
Some things I’ve been paying closer attention to: • Clear case posture (judgment entered, lender type) • Simpler defendant stacks vs complex ones • ARV ranges instead of single comp-driven numbers • Assuming worst-case rehab unless proven otherwise • Treating unknowns as real costs, not rounding errors
I’m curious how others here approach early-stage foreclosure analysis: What usually makes you pass quickly versus dig deeper on a sheriff-sale deal?
Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
9mo
With over 25 years as a loan officer, former realtor, and real estate investor, I’ve learned that foreclosure deals are won or lost in the first screen.
I pass quickly when title risk is unclear, taxes or HOA balances are high, or occupancy could delay possession. Those factors directly impact holding costs, exit timing, and whether the deal can be refinanced or resold later. If the numbers only work when everything goes right, it’s not a deal.
The ones worth digging into are deals that still make sense using conservative ARV ranges, worst case rehab assumptions, and realistic timelines. Unknowns are not deal breakers as long as they’re treated as real costs upfront.
With over 25 years as a loan officer, former realtor, and real estate investor, I’ve learned that foreclosure deals are won or lost in the first screen.
I pass quickly when title risk is unclear, taxes or HOA balances are high, or occupancy could delay possession. Those factors directly impact holding costs, exit timing, and whether the deal can be refinanced or resold later. If the numbers only work when everything goes right, it's not a deal.
The ones worth digging into are deals that still make sense using conservative ARV ranges, worst case rehab assumptions, and realistic timelines. Unknowns are not deal breakers as long as they're treated as real costs upfront.
Ebonie, what does one look for to understand if the title risk is unclear? I don't see any red flags, but also don't know what I'm looking for.
When looking at foreclosure or sheriff-sale deals, I’ve found that the biggest challenge isn’t finding opportunities — it’s deciding which ones are actually worth the risk.
With limited or no interior access, unclear occupancy, and incomplete lien info, I’ve been focusing more on early screening rather than trying to force numbers.
Some things I’ve been paying closer attention to: • Clear case posture (judgment entered, lender type) • Simpler defendant stacks vs complex ones • ARV ranges instead of single comp-driven numbers • Assuming worst-case rehab unless proven otherwise • Treating unknowns as real costs, not rounding errors
I’m curious how others here approach early-stage foreclosure analysis: What usually makes you pass quickly versus dig deeper on a sheriff-sale deal?
Learning to buy pre-foreclosures, in my experience, is taught. Every purchase is different and requires a wide set of knowledge. So, I suggest you get training or look at much simpler transactions.