Using a Realtor for Investment Properties

Using a Realtor for Investment Properties

Macaulay OkwahPro Member
Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes

I'm looking for some guidance on whether I am required to use a Realtor to buy my second property or not. I hear all of these success stories from so many people about buying rental properties but  no one has ever mentioned if they used a Realtor or not. I assume some state laws require you have a real estate agent in order to close on a house/investment property. My question is do I need a Realtor to buy on/off market deals, and if, so what are someone good questions to ask to make sure thier expertise aglins with my investment strategy? 

6Reply
369 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo

I’d recommend asking things like:

“Do you invest yourself?”
“How many investment transactions have you closed?”
"Do you understand BRRRR, cash flow analysis, cap rates, rehab estimates?"
“Do you have contractor, lender, PM, and insurance connections?”
“How quickly can you run numbers or get into a property?”

Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate539 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10mo

    No, you are not required to hire an agent

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10mo

    @Macaulay Okwah

    I’ve bought 32 properties without an agent. I prefer to use the listing agents. The seller only has to pay 3% commission for just their agent so it saves them a lot of money when I make my offers with their agent. And I like to walk the homes with the listing agents for a few reasons. First of all, they tell me all kinds of good intel about the sellers or the home (which they probably shouldn’t since they represent the seller). lol. Like the sellers motivation due to a move for their job or divorce etc. Or other offers received. I use this info to my advantage when I make offers. I also tell the listing agents all the flaws or things that need to be updated or fixed within the next 3-5 years. So when I walk out I tell them it’ll probably cost me X amount of dollars to get the house rent ready including a new roof or hvac within the next few years. I act like I know what I’m talking about even though I don’t. Lol. I think they all tell the sellers what I say and how much it’ll cost me to fix it up to make sense for the offers I make. I come in with a low ball offer “as is” for them to take it or leave it. My offer includes no appraisal or financing contingency so they have a hard number they know they’ll get without any surprises. I’ve gotten every home I’ve made offers on except a couple which had multiple offers at the same time. This strategy has worked great for me as a buy n hold investor.

    • Macaulay OkwahPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes
      10mo

      @John Morgan 

      thanks John that's great advice. I've always assumed I needed my own agent in order to close deals. I've tried contacting a few listing agents to get information about properties I'm interested in but I keep getting ghosted. I think I'll try your strategy and see how it works out. 

    • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Macaulay Okwah:

      @John Morgan 

      thanks John that's great advice. I've always assumed I needed my own agent in order to close deals. I've tried contacting a few listing agents to get information about properties I'm interested in but I keep getting ghosted. I think I'll try your strategy and see how it works out. 


       This may have worked for John but for every John out there, it probably backfires on people 9 times. I'm assuming John has done a lot of transactions and is capable of representing himself as well or better than a typical buyer's agent could. If you've only done a few deals, you will be better off with a competent buyer's agent assisting you. 

      As a listing agent, I've had unrepresented buyers offer on my listings before, thinking that they will save 3%. Every one of them has ended up in a worse position than if they had a professional on their side. Think about any other situation where an amateur goes up against a professional... who wins? Unless your skills in real estate are on a pro level, I'd recommend working with a pro on your team. 

    • New to Real Estate · TX · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @John Morgan:

      @Macaulay Okwah

      I’ve bought 32 properties without an agent. I prefer to use the listing agents. The seller only has to pay 3% commission for just their agent so it saves them a lot of money when I make my offers with their agent. And I like to walk the homes with the listing agents for a few reasons. First of all, they tell me all kinds of good intel about the sellers or the home (which they probably shouldn’t since they represent the seller). lol. Like the sellers motivation due to a move for their job or divorce etc. Or other offers received. I use this info to my advantage when I make offers. I also tell the listing agents all the flaws or things that need to be updated or fixed within the next 3-5 years. So when I walk out I tell them it’ll probably cost me X amount of dollars to get the house rent ready including a new roof or hvac within the next few years. I act like I know what I’m talking about even though I don’t. Lol. I think they all tell the sellers what I say and how much it’ll cost me to fix it up to make sense for the offers I make. I come in with a low ball offer “as is” for them to take it or leave it. My offer includes no appraisal or financing contingency so they have a hard number they know they’ll get without any surprises. I’ve gotten every home I’ve made offers on except a couple which had multiple offers at the same time. This strategy has worked great for me as a buy n hold investor.


      John, solid strategy. I gotten my deals going directly with the listing agent as well. Quick question for you based on where I’m at:

      I’m in Northeast PA with 3 duplexes, netting about $3,300/mo, around $300k+ equity, and about $50k cash saved. Deals in my market have been trash lately, but I’m trying to scale the right way without forcing anything.

      If you were in my position today, would you:

      (A) keep stacking cash and wait for softer deals,

      (B) pull equity and buy now, or

      (C) use your “listing-agent/low-contingency” strategy to grab deals even in a tight market?


      Just trying to understand how you’d play it from this stage.

      Thanks for any insight. I seen a few of your posts and you're an inspiration. 

    • John MorganPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Angel R.:
      Quote from @John Morgan:

      @Macaulay Okwah

      I’ve bought 32 properties without an agent. I prefer to use the listing agents. The seller only has to pay 3% commission for just their agent so it saves them a lot of money when I make my offers with their agent. And I like to walk the homes with the listing agents for a few reasons. First of all, they tell me all kinds of good intel about the sellers or the home (which they probably shouldn’t since they represent the seller). lol. Like the sellers motivation due to a move for their job or divorce etc. Or other offers received. I use this info to my advantage when I make offers. I also tell the listing agents all the flaws or things that need to be updated or fixed within the next 3-5 years. So when I walk out I tell them it’ll probably cost me X amount of dollars to get the house rent ready including a new roof or hvac within the next few years. I act like I know what I’m talking about even though I don’t. Lol. I think they all tell the sellers what I say and how much it’ll cost me to fix it up to make sense for the offers I make. I come in with a low ball offer “as is” for them to take it or leave it. My offer includes no appraisal or financing contingency so they have a hard number they know they’ll get without any surprises. I’ve gotten every home I’ve made offers on except a couple which had multiple offers at the same time. This strategy has worked great for me as a buy n hold investor.


      John, solid strategy. I gotten my deals going directly with the listing agent as well. Quick question for you based on where I’m at:

      I’m in Northeast PA with 3 duplexes, netting about $3,300/mo, around $300k+ equity, and about $50k cash saved. Deals in my market have been trash lately, but I’m trying to scale the right way without forcing anything.

      If you were in my position today, would you:

      (A) keep stacking cash and wait for softer deals,

      (B) pull equity and buy now, or

      (C) use your “listing-agent/low-contingency” strategy to grab deals even in a tight market?


      Just trying to understand how you’d play it from this stage.

      Thanks for any insight. I seen a few of your posts and you're an inspiration. 

      I’d keep stacking cash if you’re not seeing any decent deals. For me, it’s all about my return on equity. If I can get a much better return on my equity just sitting there doing nothing for me, then I’ll do a cash out refi and deploy the $ to buy more good cash flowing rentals. I’ve bought 14 houses this way basically for free by doing cash outs on houses that had good equity doing nothing for me. I was able to buy them all without paying a cent out of pocket which was nice. 

      Deals in my area (Dallas) have been trash since I bought my last rental here 2 years ago. However, I went out of state and bought 12 cheap crack shacks in Arkansas and Missouri the last two years that cash flow well. So maybe hold off on your area until deals come back and stack cash. But don’t rule out buying cheap cash flowing rentals out of state! 
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
    10mo

    @Macaulay Okwah - I think you'll find out that people have found deals in various ways (using buyer agent, seller's agent, wholesalers, off-market, etc..) so I think it's important to have various options for finding deals. There's nothing to say you can't use multiple strategies as long as you're clear on criteria you're searching for and what your "buy box" looks like. The one caution I would have is to be loyal to whomever brought you the deal. If your agent found a good opportunity and shared it with you, but then you negotiated directly with the seller's agent it might be good in the short-term, but karma might get you in the long-term. I'm also clear the other way... If my agent sends me one, but I've already reached out to the seller's agent and/or did some due diligence I let her know that and I'm "chasing that one" on my own. Good Luck!

  • Macaulay OkwahPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    10mo
    I think loyalty is very important and I’m a huge believer in karma. Thanks for the advice!!
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Macaulay Okwah:

    I'm looking for some guidance on whether I am required to use a Realtor to buy my second property or not. I hear all of these success stories from so many people about buying rental properties but  no one has ever mentioned if they used a Realtor or not. I assume some state laws require you have a real estate agent in order to close on a house/investment property. My question is do I need a Realtor to buy on/off market deals, and if, so what are someone good questions to ask to make sure thier expertise aglins with my investment strategy? 


    You don't need a realtor to invest in real estate. Most clients I work with find deals through outbound cold calling, door knocking, marketing and wholesaling. If you are just looking at the MLS only, you will spread yourself thin.

    Working with a wholesaler might be easier, but you should also factor in that "finders fee". A realtor will charge you 2-3% whereas a wholesaler will charge you 15-20%. 

    Some realtors specialize in RE investing and will help you if they get both the buy-side and the listing. Work out an arrangement and see what works. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    10mo
    I’m I Realtor in Houston Texas and it is not required for the buyer to be represented by an agent. I’ve handled multiple transactions where the buyer was not represented. I still handled the negotiation and contracts. To be honest, if you’re not represented you tend to have a lil more wiggle room on the price 😉 I actually have a Triplex listed for sale in an up and coming area (Independence Heights). It’s 10 min to downtown, a couple minutes to The Heights and it comes with 2 excellent long term tenants.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 461 posts · 250 votes
    10mo

    Hi Macaulay in Houston, Texas-

    Great question! You asked if you need a Realtor to buy investment real estate on or off-market.

    The short answer is no.

    However, I would suggest the cost of doing it without a Realtor in terms of missed opportunities or missed items in due diligence may not be worth it.

    A good investor friendly Realtor should be able to help you find opportunities on and off-market as well as provide an experienced team that is acting as a fiduciary for you saving you time and money.

    To your success!

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    10mo

    I think whether you should use an investor-focused realtor really comes down to your experience level and how comfortable you are navigating deals on your own. A good investor-savvy agent can be extremely valuable—especially if they bring strong market knowledge, negotiation skills, and a network of lenders, contractors, and off-market deal sources. Having someone like that in your corner can save you from costly mistakes and speed up your learning curve.

    On the other hand, if you already have a firm grasp on the process, understand contracts, know how to analyze deals, and have your own relationships built out, then handling transactions yourself can make perfect sense. It really depends on your situation, your confidence, and how much value you think an agent can add relative to what you already bring to the table.

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    Someone from TX please check me on this, but I think John has screwed himself.

    Comission is regulated by the listing contract between seller and broker, example 6%. The listing broker then offers a portion of that to a cooperating broker (let's say 3% to the buyers agent). If there is no buyers agent, the seller pays the same and listing agent pockets the whole 6%. At least in most States.

    Of course listing agents are very excited to work with John!!

    But I will say I'd rather work unrepresented than with an agent who is less skilled than me. John is absolutley right about intel, angles and negotiation. Ideally you work with a buyers agent who has more skills and experience than you do as a client, that's the whole point. 

    What most consumers don't realize is how large the difference in skill levels is between agents: most agents are part time and add little actual value. Look for someone who owns rentals and does 24+ deals per year personally, not 3.

  • Joey BanasihanPro Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
    10mo

    Hey @Macaulay Okwah, A lot of people make this an “agent or no agent” question, but the real question is:
    What kind of partnership do you need to buy the way you want to buy?

    A few things I’d think through before deciding:
    – Are you looking for someone to bring you deals, or do you already find your own?
    – Do you want long-term representation and liability protection, or are you comfortable negotiating directly with the seller’s agent knowing they legally represent the seller?
    – Do you need someone who actually understands investment underwriting, rehab budgets, rents, STR/MTR rules, portfolio strategy, etc.?

    A lot of investors go straight to the listing agent because it feels faster or cheaper — but cheap and fast don’t always line up with great strategy. If you plan on building a portfolio, having someone in your corner who thinks like an investor (not just a contract runner) usually pays for itself in better negotiations, stronger due diligence, and fewer surprises.

    What’s your plan long-term — build 2–3 rentals over time, or stack properties more aggressively? That matters a ton when you’re deciding what kind of support you actually need.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10mo

    I’ve found that using a Realtor actually became one of the biggest advantages once I started building my portfolio — but it really depends on having the right agent.

    You can absolutely benefit from a Realtor with real investor experience (like myself). I’ve been a Realtor since 2017 and an investor since 2012, now with 60+ doors under my belt. Having someone who understands numbers, cash flow, renovations, and negotiations can make a huge difference. The right agent won’t be afraid to push for a lower price or structure an offer that protects your returns.

    That said, not all agents are created equal, and not all listing agents feel comfortable representing both sides. For your best interests, I’d look for an aggressive, investor-friendly Realtor who knows how to analyze deals, negotiate savings, and move quickly on and off market. The right partner can help you scale faster and avoid costly mistakes.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    I’d recommend asking things like:

    “Do you invest yourself?”
    “How many investment transactions have you closed?”
    "Do you understand BRRRR, cash flow analysis, cap rates, rehab estimates?"
    “Do you have contractor, lender, PM, and insurance connections?”
    “How quickly can you run numbers or get into a property?”

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate539 Reviews
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey Macaulay, investor-friendly agents often have access to off-market opportunities in addition to what's listed on the MLS. You can ask them if they currently have any off-market deals to share, and whether they work with investors regularly. That's a good way to see if their experience aligns with your investment goals

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    Why not use a great agent on your team.  I am licensed in the entire state of Texas, but don't know the first thing about Houston real estate.  I could write a contract, but I know nothing of the local conditions.  There are probably 100s of questions I could ask you about title, the contract, local conditions, and more that you just don't know and sometimes can't look up that your realtor will know cold.  Reduce your risk.

    You should have on your team, a great realtor, lender, title company, inspector, GC, insurance agent and maybe some others.

    There are probably a million or at least thousands of reasons to use a great realtor, but I can't think of one, not to use one.  A great agent will save you a ton of time, a ton of money, and reduce your risks exponetially.  Think about showings for example.  I can usually take a buy to 10 houses in 2-3 hours, but if you are scheduling with 10 different agents, it will likely take you all day and there will be a couple that no show or you will misconnect on timing with 2-3 of them.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    You are not required to use an agent. However, it may be beneficial to use one.

    I would only pass on using an agent if you already have the connections in the area(lender, agent, pm company, contractor) and you can run your own comps.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 970 posts · 638 votes
    9mo

    Hi @Macaulay Okwah, Ok here's my thought on this, the only time a realtor is truly valuable for an investor is when they're deeply experienced in investment deals, not general residential sales. If you decide to use one, ask about their experience with investment properties, whether they run numbers using cap rate, cash-on-cash, and IRR rather than just comps, and if they can identify value-add opportunities, zoning potential, or under-market rents. Also ask if they have access to off-market deals, work with investor-friendly lenders, contractors, property managers, or inspectors, and how quickly they can analyze and write offers.

    If they cannot answer those questions confidently then they’re likely not the right fit, a good investor-focused Realtor should almost feel like part of your business, not just someone unlocking doors.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    I have never heard of any law forcing anyone to use a licensed agent to buy or sell real estate. There may be certain building or communities that have contracted brokerages to sell but that is not common.

  • Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2025 · 121 posts · 33 votes
    9mo

    @Macaulay Okwah you are not obligated to use a realtor. As an investor, you'll want a financial model and a team (lender, title company, contractor). With the financial model you will be able to assess the profitability of the potential investment and with your team you can validate your assumptions (ie. are the loan assumptions accurate? Is the title clean? Is there enough buffer for rehab costs?).

    Feel free to reach out if you'd like to discuss further!

  • Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 31 votes
    8mo

    I've used realtors, for my personal home and for investment properties. Very rarely do I find one that works as hard as I do in their job. When I do find that rare gem, I work with them until they don't want the relationship anymore.

      I have a realtor right now that if she wanted to come and work for me , Id hire right away!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.