Mentoring Cost $20,000

Mentoring Cost $20,000

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 54 votes

I went to the 2 day Life Styles Unlimited class this past weekend with the goal of learning and finding a multi-family mentor to begin investing with. Like a typical sales funnel I quickly learned it was a brief overview to get the juices flowing, tell you about all the stock market failures and pain points that have let you down in the past, then build you back up with the millionaire mindset and that for only a mere $20,000 that LSU can mentor you to become a millionaire and live the millionaire lifestyle that you and your family so deserve. And to ad a sense of urgency to close the deal, they say you must sign up today or next month the price will be $25,000.

My question to everyone...is there anyone out there who genuinely is willing to mentor someone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area?  I have the passion and the funds to invest in multi-family, I just have no interest in being run thru a sales funnel and someone collecting $20,000 - $25,000 first.  They are in the business of making huge money off selling information and dreams via sales funnels first, while teaching the secrets of investing second.

I am looking for the kind of mentor that is not part of trying to run people thru a sales funnel and collect there money before you learn the “secrets”. Is there anyone out there that exists who is willing to let someone shadow them, while in return working for free just to watch and learn the process that truly make there living investing in multi-family and not running a sales funnel?

19Reply
509 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Michael Burks Sooooooooo...what is it you’re bringing to the table? Successful people don’t typically hang around with “yet to be successful” people for kicks. Start with building your own list of the top five things you bring to the table. And reading, research, and podcast listening doesn’t count 🤷🏻‍♂️
See this reply in the discussion

118 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    This whole website is your mentor, and it's free.

    Asking for mentorship is weird, because I have mentors and none of them would call themselves that. They are just my friends who know more than me, and since they like me, they teach me all the stuff I don't know because they want me to succeed. Also, I help them out in areas that I'm strong and they are weak. What you really need is a best friend who knows what you want to know, and is happy to teach you.

    Spend time on this site, this is your networking. The person you need to teach you is on this site, somewhere, but he's not looking for you he's minding his own business; Mentors aren't trying to become mentors for free. You need to find that person, and show them why they need you and then become best friends with this person. If it's just transactional, it won't be as valuable, you have to make genuine friends with people to get great help from them.

    So you have 3 posts as I write this. commit to posting on BP every day, reach out to people, make friends, it'll all pay off. This site will help anyone be successful if they keep plugging away at it.

    I would not spend $20,000 on education when the information is available here for free

    That was amazing. Beautifully put.

  • Flipper · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Burks:

    @John Ellerman @Todd Dexheimer Thank you both for taking the time to post.  Your advice is very much appreciated.  

    Michael did you ever end up getting into a multi family mentor program? I’m in the same trying to see if Brad Sumrok or Think Muktifamily program makes sense for $20-$25k. 

    I’m heavily invested in single family homes in the Midwest. Plenty of skin in the game and experience with contractors, real estate attorneys, bankers, and brokers. I am green when it comes to multi family apartments. I’ve got a nice amount of cash to get started in a multifamily project. I also have multiple people with cash and 401k money that want to invest with me as well.     Just checking to see if you had done anything and if you did what direction you went?   I’ve considered going to Sumroks next weekend event just to network.  

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW TX · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 260 votes
    7y

    @Max McGuirk   I am a Brad Sumrok student, have been with him since the start of his mentor company, including the time when Mark Kenney was also his student.  I have found great success in Brad Sumrok University (my name for it)!   I have done involved posts on a couple forums - I hope this will get you to them:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/627563-brad-sumrok-rat-race-2-retirement?page=1#p3823635

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/149974-looking-to-get-any-reviews-on-mentor-investor-teacher-brad-sumrok-on-multifamily?page=5#p3730386

    Regards,

    Charles LeMaire

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I have attended Sumrok's conference before and I can tell you there are definitely differences between Sumrok's event and Think Multifamily's FIRE SUMMIT. Mark & Tamiel left that group and have created something different than any other group I attended...a group with strong family values, a group where you don't get lost in the crowd. You should definitely come check out Think Multifamily's Fire Summit end of March and you will see the difference for yourself."

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I have been to all kind of weekend multifamily seminars in the country and did great research about every program I come across.

    Mark Kenney, Tamiel Kenney from Think Multifamily are Outstanding mentors, because of following unique mentor-ship qualities

    1. He does NOT do flashy sales, very honest, open for new ideas, constructive critic feedback, straight shooter. What he says on the stage and what he does on daily basis is always same.

    2. He is committed with his time + action plan to help his students to be successful: which made me to become successful syndicator from 0 units to 615 units in just 11 months’ time frame. Before joining his program, I never had any Syndication experience.

    3. He is flexible on with whom you can partner with in his group or outside of his group

    4. Every mentor program I attended gave me (directly & indirectly)same kind of assumptions and fears : you got have at least $250k to start to be as GP or it takes at least 12 to 18 months to find first deal or First deal will most tough deal to find ......blah blah blah.

    Mark Kenney proved to me all those assumptions or fears are total BS. Because I joined his program in January 2018 and I got my first deal under contract as GP by April 2018 (that is 4 month’s time frame)

    5. When you join his program, He will be the only person who does mentor-ship for you, there are NO multiple layers of mentors like other’s programs (they won’t disclose at their weekend events about those mentor layers)

    6. He always the only person mentor you to meet your expectations (being realistic) and over delivery when it comes to quality of mentor-ship

    7. Last but not least, he is also human being, He always treat people like he want to be treated, he does NOT have super natural powers or threat messages like other says “if you don’t join my group, You and your investors putting yourself into greater risk “. At his weekend seminar’s, He does not talk about his cars, Shoes, belt, Suits...😂

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 261 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    @Michael Burks if you really have the passion and the funds, you need nothing else. Read everything on this forum, read books, listen to podcasts, go to REI meetups, meet like minded people to partner with on deals, and buy something. Easy as that.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    @Michael Burks,

    This post has spanned over a year and over 100+ replies, so I was just wondering how your journey has worked out for you.  Did you end up picking an investing group like Think Multifamily, LU, etc. or did you decide to go alone? 

    Personally, I joined Think over a year ago and have had great results with them.  They're honest and open people who care about your results.  Anyways, I live in the DFW area, so I would love to chat to see how it worked out for you so far.  

    If you're interested, you can PM me to meet up or call.  If not, good luck my friend! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kishanchandra Golla:

    I have been to all kind of weekend multifamily seminars in the country and did great research about every program I come across.

    Mark Kenney, Tamiel Kenney from Think Multifamily are Outstanding mentors, because of following unique mentor-ship qualities

    1. He does NOT do flashy sales, very honest, open for new ideas, constructive critic feedback, straight shooter. What he says on the stage and what he does on daily basis is always same.

    2. He is committed with his time + action plan to help his students to be successful: which made me to become successful syndicator from 0 units to 615 units in just 11 months’ time frame. Before joining his program, I never had any Syndication experience.

    3. He is flexible on with whom you can partner with in his group or outside of his group

    4. Every mentor program I attended gave me (directly & indirectly)same kind of assumptions and fears : you got have at least $250k to start to be as GP or it takes at least 12 to 18 months to find first deal or First deal will most tough deal to find ......blah blah blah.

    Mark Kenney proved to me all those assumptions or fears are total BS. Because I joined his program in January 2018 and I got my first deal under contract as GP by April 2018 (that is 4 month’s time frame)

    5. When you join his program, He will be the only person who does mentor-ship for you, there are NO multiple layers of mentors like other’s programs (they won’t disclose at their weekend events about those mentor layers)

    6. He always the only person mentor you to meet your expectations (being realistic) and over delivery when it comes to quality of mentor-ship

    7. Last but not least, he is also human being, He always treat people like he want to be treated, he does NOT have super natural powers or threat messages like other says “if you don’t join my group, You and your investors putting yourself into greater risk “. At his weekend seminar’s, He does not talk about his cars, Shoes, belt, Suits...😂

    I had to lol at the last part ... cars, shoes, belt and suits.

    Nicely put (think we all know who this is) ... Comment of the day! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Burks. Have you done a deal? Did you talk to @Omar Khan? He’s great if you live in DFW. I used to live there but had to move for work.

    I usually have a basically standing offer for local people to meet me for lunch or a phone call or whatever. I don’t charge anything (you can buy me lunch if you want though lol). It just costs me my time. Most of the people I do this with, I never hear from again or it takes them years to do anything. I wound implore you not to be one of those people.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Michael Burks. Have you done a deal? Did you talk to @Omar Khan? He’s great if you live in DFW. I used to live there but had to move for work.

    I usually have a basically standing offer for local people to meet me for lunch or a phone call or whatever. I don’t charge anything (you can buy me lunch if you want though lol). It just costs me my time. Most of the people I do this with, I never hear from again or it takes them years to do anything. I wound implore you not to be one of those people.

    Thanks Caleb.

    With so many options in DFW (sponsors, "gurus" and the like), Michael should have np finding solid people. My one word of advice is to always avoid scammy gurus (with notable exceptions).

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Omar Khan:
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Michael Burks. Have you done a deal? Did you talk to @Omar Khan? He’s great if you live in DFW. I used to live there but had to move for work.

    I usually have a basically standing offer for local people to meet me for lunch or a phone call or whatever. I don’t charge anything (you can buy me lunch if you want though lol). It just costs me my time. Most of the people I do this with, I never hear from again or it takes them years to do anything. I wound implore you not to be one of those people.

    Thanks Caleb.

    With so many options in DFW (sponsors, "gurus" and the like), Michael should have np finding solid people. My one word of advice is to always avoid scammy gurus (with notable exceptions).

    Way back in my super early newbie days I almost fell for a scammy guru named Phil grove in the dfw area.  (He runs the same thing in Austin and Houston etc).  And that was only for a thousands bucks or so.

    I actually filled out the authorization form that night at the event, went home, googled his name and found all the BS stuff.  

    I called my bank first thing the next day and cancelled the card, which voided the payment.  BP saved me a thousand bucks that day.   

    Haven’t had that happen again and I’m super picky about what real estate stuff I attend now because if I even get the hint of a sales pitch, I’m gone and I’m likely not coming back.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    Way back in my super early newbie days I almost fell for a scammy guru named Phil grove in the dfw area.  (He runs the same thing in Austin and Houston etc).  And that was only for a thousands bucks or so.

    I actually filled out the authorization form that night at the event, went home, googled his name and found all the BS stuff.  

    I called my bank first thing the next day and cancelled the card, which voided the payment.  BP saved me a thousand bucks that day.   

    Haven’t had that happen again and I’m super picky about what real estate stuff I attend now because if I even get the hint of a sales pitch, I’m gone and I’m likely not coming back.

     I attended one of their free events when I was starting out too. I didn't go for the "big event" they were pitching, but when you're brand new, you do still pick up some valuable knowledge at those things. 

  • New to Real Estate · PLANO, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Michael Burks Just wondering how things went... Seems BP is more guru/coach friendly now, I even heard one of the bosses gets coached too and participates in coaching (maybe?)... I understand both sides, and both have pros and cons/risks... at the end it depends on your drive and how much you want it, and how fast you want achieve your goals... If anyone wants to coach me for free I would appreciate it haha JK... I really get it that MF is a team business and to some degree you need to pay to play... planning to start educating myself, getting out there, being more social and research with as many coaching options as possible: someone said if couching is good for you, it will be still good in 3 months.. thanks

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Michael Burks you will either pay with your time or your money to get started. Choice is yours. 

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y

    First and foremost, one needs to know where their strengths are and where they need help the most. What is your learning style? Do you benefit from regularly accountability engagements? Do you thrive when challenged by your committments? Are you a self starter or self learner?

    As discussed over the past 5 pages, there are MANY options. Which program or coach for you and/or how much value provided is going to entirely depend on what they provide vs. what your individual needs are IMO.  It's as simple as matching up what they offer vs. how each of those components will benefit you or accelerate your progression.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    @Harry Nima Zegarra

    I found everything you need to know is out there without having to pay a guru $20-$30k. Although I did join a mentor program when I started, I don’t feel it’s necessary. Consistently networking and getting involved in free meetup groups was big for me. There is a ton of great podcasts, online groups and webinars out there that provide amazing content for free. Old Capital Podcast is a great source I would highly recommend. Ken McElroy’s group is one of my favorites and he just launched a new Master Course. Ken has been very successful in the MF space for many years and is passionate about giving back and helping others get involved. He too does not think it’s necessary to pay $20-$30k to a “guru” in order to learn this business. So far I closed with 2 deals in 2019 and 3 deals in 2020, putting me just shy of 1700 doors. My goal for 2021 is 2-3 more. Education removes the unknowns that stop so many, so Learn, Network, Then Take Action...

  • New to Real Estate · PLANO, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Michael Burks that is awesome man, I read this thread from the beginning and this certainly brings closure to it! Great story. I would like to chat with you if at any point you have some time. Thanks!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    @Harry Nima Zegarra

    I happy to help and talk to you anytime free of charge ;)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.