Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
How to get 200k loan to complete an ADU?

Cesar Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 29 2022, 16:30

Hello fellow real estate friends. I need help and guidance, at the moment I'm running a project in Los Angeles to build an ADU. We are short 200k for the project and cannot use HELOC anymore due to a previous cash out refinance 6 months ago so our equity is low. Can anyone share any tips on how to get 200k loan to complete the project without using our homes equity since it's very low now.
- best regards ! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 29 2022, 16:57

@Cesar Garcia

Can you qualify for a construction loan? I would speak to some local lenders and also maybe look at private $.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2022, 18:46

I know for a construction loan you might need a contractor to sign off on the cost estimate for the build. Then the bank may loan you the construction loan. 

Send me a private Dm, my boss is a contractor in the area, we might be able to help.

One caveat I will say is that cost to build is a little higher with materials and delays right now so double-check your budget from your contractor. I would hate to see you get to the end of a build and not have the finishing finances. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2022, 18:53

I know for a construction loan you might need a contractor to sign off on the cost estimate for the build. Then the bank may loan you the construction loan. 

Send me a private Dm, my boss is a contractor in the area, we might be able to help.

One caveat I will say is that cost to build is a little higher with materials and delays right now so double-check your budget from your contractor. I would hate to see you get to the end of a build and not have the finishing finances. 

User Stats

Votes
Pavan Sandhu
  • Developer
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 09:17

You're going to have to piece a few different loans together unless you do a construction loan that wraps your first and a new second into one. 

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jun 30 2022, 10:04

@Cesar Garcia I have done ADU financing via construction loan and use the future value to meet the LTV requirements. Your current 1st and HELOC (if there is one) would be replaced with the construction loan. Once construction is done, then you will be refinanced into an end loan.

Reach out if you are interested in discussing.

The Federal Savings Bank Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 10:18

@Cesar Garcia Talk with contractor/ADU builiding companies as they sometimes offer financing for ADU builds. Rates and terms vary as Im not an expert since this is a direct to consumer lending product (Im a broker). The challenge with 'Value Add" ADU builds is the ARV is going to be much less than the cost of building it. I converted my Garage into a permitted ADU, cost me 80k (as is conversion, no added sq ft) and the appraiser added 20k in property value. The tricky needle to thread is to not get a bridge or short term loan since refinance to capture the perceived ARV isn't realistic and would set you up for failure. Just be careful, A lot ( and I mean A LOT) of people think if you have a SFH and add an ADU, comparable sales are duplexes. This is not true. Comparable sales are SFH with a garage since rental income is not how this asset is valued and the original Zoning is SFH.

Investor Property Loan Logo