Setting up a tiny house community like a mobile home park?

Setting up a tiny house community like a mobile home park?

Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 82 votes

Just curious to see if anyone has started a tiny house community.  I am thinking about developing one and was going to use the mobile home park concept as a model.  I've done some preliminary research and looked at what other communities have done and there are many ways this could be approached.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done it and would mind connecting?  Thank you in advance!!  

8Reply
288 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 191 votes
8y
Oh, you can also look up Ross Chapin, architect, who has a large volume of material on pocket neighborhoods, which are made up of small homes from 500 to 1500 ft.². I believe he’s based in the Seattle area.
See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    There are a number of approved platted subdivisions already in place. They range from approved in writting to tilities in and a few homes started. The time savings is invaluable. It is a given it will not meet 100% of your requirements, but amending the plat may be a simple task or already part of the standard code.

    Portland has increased zoning densities substantially. They are allowing ADUs/tinies (if you are creative) to most existing residential parcels. In core transportation areas it is surprising the densities allowed. More municipalities are encouraging density and reducong urban sprawl. This is one of the solutions they are encouraging.

  • Developer · DC & NC · Member since 2019 · 113 posts · 95 votes
    6y

    FWIW, a tiny-house group in Atlanta is doing a virtual workshop on Thursday about developing pocket neighborhoods:

    https://oklahoma.uli.org/events/detail/CABD7705-6C0E-437B-A243-274637637601/

    I'm not affiliated with the event, but I did attend MicroLife's first in-person version of this workshop (just a few months ago) and thought the tools, examples, and methods they presented were useful. It's mostly drawn upon their experience, developing a for-sale project in suburban Atlanta.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Lorenz:

    Oh, you can also look up Ross Chapin, architect, who has a large volume of material on pocket neighborhoods, which are made up of small homes from 500 to 1500 ft.². I believe he’s based in the Seattle area.

     Ross Chapin is actually on Whidbey Island, about 30 miles NW of Seattle.  I use to live on Whidbey in the '80s and Ross was just getting started in his sustainable building design then.

  • Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 306 votes
    5y

    @Lisa Thoele

    I have been pondering this idea for months now. My plan would be to build a community and keep every lot to rent out. I think a smart jurisdiction would see need for affordable housing if its presented the right way. In my area it could make a killing.

  • Member since 2019 · 182 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    i am curious about tiny home community and wondering if you have done additional research since

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    I've actually wondered if someone could convert a trailer park to a tiny house community.

  • NY · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    @Jennifer Billis-Gehrke I've been thinking the same thing. I'd think you'd be able to get around the costs of routing utilities, which could be significant, but not sure if the savings would be offset by other things that I'm not seeing.  

  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 75 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jennifer Billis-Gehrke:

    I've actually wondered if someone could convert a trailer park to a tiny house community.


     Following..

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Matt Nico and Lisa Thoele,

    I am reading your post from awhile ago concerning starting a tiny home community. That is my interest also. Were you able to start that much needed community? If so, I would like to have a brief conversation with you. Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.