Setting up a tiny house community like a mobile home park?

Setting up a tiny house community like a mobile home park?

Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 82 votes

Just curious to see if anyone has started a tiny house community.  I am thinking about developing one and was going to use the mobile home park concept as a model.  I've done some preliminary research and looked at what other communities have done and there are many ways this could be approached.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done it and would mind connecting?  Thank you in advance!!  

8Reply
293 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 191 votes
8y
Oh, you can also look up Ross Chapin, architect, who has a large volume of material on pocket neighborhoods, which are made up of small homes from 500 to 1500 ft.². I believe he’s based in the Seattle area.
See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Lisa Thoele I think the big question is...if you build it, will they come? What is the demand for something like this in your area, are you looking for STR or LTR?

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    I am little late for this thread but....

    I have personal experience in every aspects of mobile and tinies.

    I have owned a failing park in Kanas. Lived and been closely associated with many large and small parks in the Colorado front range.

    It really comes down to cost. If you can keep your monthly numbers waaay down.

    Everything, (except Kansas) works.

    The tiny community delights in shell construction. You finish to the walls and the new owner will happily complete their home to their taste.

    Keeps the costs down for both parties

    The true magic of tinies is they literally fit on parcels conventional housing won't. I am just today considering developing a 1/2 acre parcel I have in Lakewood, Co. An area perfect for 6 tinies. It is water front to boot. 69 feet x 250 too narow for conventional set backs.

    As pointed out before, there is efficiency in scale. The prices of infrastructure increase only slightly as you pack more units onto a space.

    The reason condos make more sense than SFH same foot print, better density.

    If you are building, I suggest siting your own units. Having control of all aspects of esthetics down to where, when and how the homes are set will give your tiny village a more solid, planned appearance and comfortable layout.

    Oregon offers many opportunities that are not widely advertised. Many of the coastal communities are very receptive to tiny houses and linear living.

    Affordably priced housing for the working class is extremely limited. Rental demand is strong and there are community incentives to defray costs.

    The state of Oregon now allows ADUs inside every city limit of the state. Even Towns that wrote code baring them. Gold Beach, Oregon specifically encourages tinies in their zoning code. 

  • Lititz, PA · Member since 2013 · 595 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    @Dave Mason Liked your post as I've been considering this.  Are there certain market/demographic requirements you look for with tiny house projects?  

  • Lititz, PA · Member since 2013 · 595 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    @Dave Mason Liked your post as I've been considering this.  Are there certain market/demographic requirements you look for with tiny house projects?  

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hi William,

    You are looking for disclosure of 35+ years of trade secrets???  

    Ok,

    I do not spend much time on demographics. My efforts are in HOT deals. I buy at 10-30% of finished market value. Generally closer to 10%. With numbers that good Kansas almost works.

    The tiny secret is unbuildable parcels by conventional standards. Odd sizes and difficult situations. They are reasonably easy to locate. Tax sales are usually full of them. Look at reoccuring properties at the sales. Frequently they are the ones that the Counties end up with.

    When you exhaust that list looking on GIS systems with lot lines show odd unbuilt parcels. Those are motivated sellers. NO one wants that useless tax black hole.

    Second trade secret....nothing is unbuildable in the right light. More accurately everything is profitable. I have made money on 2 foot strips along someones property.

    I have purchased environmentally contaminated parcels and made millions oh a $500 investment. Some of the profits are still in play.

    Once in a life time for most. Just another day another deal for me. I live monoply.

  • Lititz, PA · Member since 2013 · 595 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    @Dave Mason.  I'm guessing one of the requirements for tiny homes must be that people are priced out of conventional homes.  

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    The attraction is the is sales price. The price per square foot for most tinies should price buyers out. The illusion is they are affordable. 

    The reality of THOWs are they are not welcome. They don't meet certifications required by most municipalities, parks and insurance companies.

    Permanent structures are easier. The 2015 IRC code adopted by many municipalities allows for a minimum square footage of 75 feet. A good sized closet.

    The IRC provides some other benefits as well. If you want to succeed with the endeavor education is the answer. The more you know the fewer problems you cannot solve.

    Knowing the mobile home code in the area of choice gives you the start to success. 

    Trade secret: Block and pier is an acceptable foundation for many permenant foundations.

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I bought an almost 4 acre lot in a small city in Josephine County (SW Oregon) a year ago. Just now got the zone change application deemed complete by the city to change zone from SR to C so we have a hearing in July and one in September. So I'm shooting for next spring to develop an "RV Park" with about forty 60'x40' spaces and 100 self storage units. I'll be extending city water and sewer a few hundred feet up the highway and metering spaces separately. I feel the RV Park concept gives me the most flexibility for short-term, long-term, tinies, and under the C zoning the city allows also storage AND permanent structures. I may do some modern cabins or shipping container houses. I may run as tiny house village or as airbnb similar to this one called The Camp, or the Vintages over near McMinnville OR. For long term I have less to manage but at the nightly rate and high occupancy the numbers sound way better. What do you all think? 40 spaces x 400 per mo = $16K per mo. Or, 40 spaces at even 60% occupancy at $80/night = around $58K per mo gross. What would you do?

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    It is really a management issue. Now demographics make sense if you're going the Airbnb route. You also have to consider the lodging tax in other permitting requirements for short-term housing. 

    The rezoning experience is invaluable. The time, expense and hassel is rarely cost-effective. It's easier to use zoning maps to locate properties already approved. Contact owners directly especially off-market properties.

    There are several other methods to locate properties that are rarely used. Become very adept at the Assessor GIS systems. Looking at lot lines and property dimensions will help you locate appropriate parcels.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Zach B.:

    I bought an almost 4 acre lot in a small city in Josephine County (SW Oregon) a year ago. Just now got the zone change application deemed complete by the city to change zone from SR to C so we have a hearing in July and one in September. So I'm shooting for next spring to develop an "RV Park" with about forty 60'x40' spaces and 100 self storage units. I'll be extending city water and sewer a few hundred feet up the highway and metering spaces separately. I feel the RV Park concept gives me the most flexibility for short-term, long-term, tinies, and under the C zoning the city allows also storage AND permanent structures. I may do some modern cabins or shipping container houses. I may run as tiny house village or as airbnb similar to this one called The Camp, or the Vintages over near McMinnville OR. For long term I have less to manage but at the nightly rate and high occupancy the numbers sound way better. What do you all think? 40 spaces x 400 per mo = $16K per mo. Or, 40 spaces at even 60% occupancy at $80/night = around $58K per mo gross. What would you do?

    this is my Aviation partners business up in Oregon city 

    relevantbuildings.com/

    check it out his are all approved in Oregon .. but these are not cheap park model MH from MH manufacturers.. 

    he has units on display his yard is between Canby and OC on hwy 99  on the river side of the road.. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dave Mason:

    The attraction is the is sales price. The price per square foot for most tinies should price buyers out. The illusion is they are affordable. 

    The reality of THOWs are they are not welcome. They don't meet certifications required by most municipalities, parks and insurance companies.

    Permanent structures are easier. The 2015 IRC code adopted by many municipalities allows for a minimum square footage of 75 feet. A good sized closet.

    The IRC provides some other benefits as well. If you want to succeed with the endeavor education is the answer. The more you know the fewer problems you cannot solve.

    Knowing the mobile home code in the area of choice gives you the start to success. 

    Trade secret: Block and pier is an acceptable foundation for many permenant foundations.

    in Charleston SC all our foundations are block and peir as they are raised 7 to 12 feet to allow flood waters to flow underneath..   

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Block and pier foundations are an affordable approved foundation system within limits. I set over 100 mobile homes before licensing was required. No failures and always inspected and approved by local jurisdictions

    Competent installation is a given. Tied down should also be a given. Home flexing whether storms, water or temp expansion can cause catastrophic failures. Regular inspection for cracks and damage is prudent.

    A reasonably affordable reset if there are settling or damage issues.

  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 518 posts · 283 votes
    7y

    @Lisa Thoele we have one here in Santa Barbara. They are pretty cool. The owner is made a lot of money off them.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Lisa

    Have you considered using a homeowners association form rather than a mobile home community.  The association would own the common elements and the members would own their house but not the land.  

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Will G. They did a tiny home community in Bend, OR. it was quite an ordeal I think. Someone mentioned Ross Chapin, he designs cottage homes, and has been involved with zoning for such things. He also designs picket neighborhoods, but they're not actually affordable, though very nice.

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Will G. They did a tiny home community in Bend, OR. it was quite an ordeal I think. Someone mentioned Ross Chapin, he designs cottage homes, and has been involved with zoning for such things. He also designs picket neighborhoods, but they're not actually affordable, though very nice.

     Hi Karen, yea, I live in Bend and have been to the Tongue & Groove Hiatus project site. I'm assuming this is the one you're referring to but there also are a couple traditional RV Parks here with a handful of full time or at least long term traditional tiny houses on trailers. Hiatus is sometimes referred to as a tiny house development but these structures are permanent with concrete footings and much larger than a tiny house on a trailer. Last I checked the price on the Hiatus was about $250K each.

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs... yeah, I found the relevantbuildings.com website about a month ago. Those look nice. Exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to fill up my lot with those things.

  • Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
    7y

    Hi All, I love this conversation. I spent 1-2 years trying to set something like this park idea up in California, a few years ago. Finally, it became obvious that the numbers didnt work out because land is too expensive here and the required zoning is only available in undesirable places. In the mean time, I wrote a book about the laws regarding tiny homes which will be coming out later this year. To help this conversation, here is some what I describe in the book. "Tiny homes" is actually a classification that includes 6 different types of dwellings. Tiny homes on wheels (THOW) includes THOW-RV which are the mobile types pulled by trucks and align legally with campers and 5th wheels (recreational vehicles). THOW-PM are legally park models, on chassis but the wheels are usually removed. THOW-MH are legally mobile homes a.k.a. manufactured homes, like PM the wheels are usually removed. There are two types on foundations (THOF). Stick-built tiny homes follow local building laws which may be IBC in many jurisdictions. I call these THOF-BC because they follow some building codes. THOF-FB are those built in factories then assembled onto a foundation on site. These must comply with HUD or state laws depending on where they are manufactured. The last category are called camping cabins. These do not have plumbing and are for temporary stays like the cabins in state parks, camp grounds... I hope that understanding this will make it easier to have conversations about tiny homes and explore your options about creating villages.
    Also, I am super interested in learning about how the laws differ from state to state. Ultimately, housing law is state law. @Dave Mason where do I find the laws that you cited that tiny homes are allowed on all residential properties in Oregon?

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Did I miss speak?

    Residential properties within an urban growth boundry

    Oregon Senate Bill 1051 and HB 4034

    https://www.oregon.gov/lcd/Publications/ADU_Guidandance.

    In addition to mobile home (HUD code)/manufactured housing (formerly UBC now IRC code) ADU becomes a keyword to tiny development. Understanding vocabulary and perceptions will solve your problems.

    PortlandOregon.gov

    Small homes go big: Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) development soars in Portland

    https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/484726

    Portland leads the rest of the state follows.

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    The language

    "SB 1051 and HB 4031 is the requirement

    that cities and counties of a certain population allow accessory

    dwelling units (ADUs) as described below:

    a) A city with a population greater than 2,500 or a county with a

    population greater than 15,000 shall allow in areas within the

    urban growth boundary that are zoned for detached single‐

    family dwellings the development of at least one accessory

    dwelling unit for each detached single‐family dwelling, subject

    to reasonable local regulations relating to siting and design.

    b) As used in this subsection, “accessory dwelling unit” means an

    interior, attached or detached residential structure that is used

    in connection with or that is accessory to a single‐family

    dwelling.

    This new requirement becomes effective on July 1, 2018 and

    subject cities and counties must accept applications for ADUs

    inside urban growth boundaries (UGBs) starting July 1, 2018.

    Many local governments in Oregon already have ADU regulations

    that meet the requirements of SB 1051, however, some do not.

    Still others have regulations that, given the overall legislative

    direction to encourage the construction of ADUs to meet the

    housing needs of Oregon’s cities, are not “reasonable.” The

    Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development

    (DLCD) is issuing this guidance and model code language to help

    local governments comply with the legislation. The model code

    language is included on its own page at the end of this document."

  • TX · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Any information for tiny home set up in Texas?

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Old post but I am also in the Portland area looking into starting a tiny house community on a piece of raw land zoned manufactured home park. Just started the research process. Anyone have success with this?

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Hi Tris,

    my suggestion would be to look at the County GIS website. Use the zoning type to locate vacant parcels in tbe size and area you are interested in. Of course a quick call to zoning to find out eich zoning codes allow your use is the preliminary step.

    Once you have identified the parcel to pursue send a quick interest letter to the owner. There information is contained in the GIS links.

    it is the most efficient way to determine if there are any properties that match your need.

    Off market properties hold greater appeal to me. They do not start out initially over priced by an agent under the make offer concept. It also limits the additional fees.

    .

  • Developer · DC & NC · Member since 2019 · 113 posts · 95 votes
    6y

    There are a couple of success stories out there; search in the forums. 

    I'd warn anyone pursuing this that it is VERY difficult to find land zoned for manufactured houses, especially in a desirable location. Echoing Dave, your best bet is to approach people off-market; many owners of such land might not realize what they have.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    It's not impossible but can be done. If there are already manufactured homes in the area, that's a good sign. Also, having the right connections with the local government can help get past through all the red tape. Best of luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.