QOTW: what’s the average cost per sqft to rehab?

QOTW: what’s the average cost per sqft to rehab?

Alicia MarksPro Member
Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Welcome to the new Question of the Week! It looks like estimating rehab is a big hurdle, so let’s get talking!

Make sure to vote in our poll and mention your location and average in our post. If you can give ballparks for the ARV range, sqft, and maybe a few key things such as roof replacement, new hvac etc that will help people learn what they may be able to expect in their area.

Got any tips or tricks to building a scope of work or finding affordable supplies? Add them here!

Haven’t found your first property yet? Don’t forget about our fileplace for templates, forms and documents to help you out! It’s free for every user!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

549 votes total

Under $100/sqft
$100-125
$125-150
$150-200
Over $200
I'm not sure, just show the results
32Reply
261 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 68 votes
4y

Hi there, 

This is a question I often have regarding average rehab costs as well. I am working on a full condo renovation in downtown Seattle right now. We are approximately 90% finished. I've been keep tracking of all my rehab expenses and dividing that by our total square footage. As of right now, we are sitting at about $75 sq. ft. This includes demolition, new kitchen, two new bathrooms, minimal plumbing work, full electrical work, flooring, paint, drywall work, new trim, shelving and appliances. 

Curious to hear what others have to say. 

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Burbank, CA · Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    4y

    Looking forward to seeing what people actually spent in different cities, even if you're familiar with your own city, being able to quickly gauge costs for a new market or out of state investment would be very helpful.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    Hi there, 

    This is a question I often have regarding average rehab costs as well. I am working on a full condo renovation in downtown Seattle right now. We are approximately 90% finished. I've been keep tracking of all my rehab expenses and dividing that by our total square footage. As of right now, we are sitting at about $75 sq. ft. This includes demolition, new kitchen, two new bathrooms, minimal plumbing work, full electrical work, flooring, paint, drywall work, new trim, shelving and appliances. 

    Curious to hear what others have to say. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Boise, ID · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 285 votes
    4y

    I think it hinges on if it's a LTR or STR my team has both property management companies have been project managers of both types of rentals. In my experience STR will be 25-33% more than a LTR in order to be more competitive. That's before furnishing costs, of course.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    That sounds about right for an average downtown Seattle condo. Not talking about luxury high rises with high quality finishes - that will easily more than double or even triple that number. Kitchen itself could be an easy $40k+. Bathrooms not too far behind

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Tough to give an answer on this imo with such a wide range for everything from materials to the type of property that's being rehabbed. I'd recommend newbies get 2-3 estimates for each product from different contractor (hopefully ones that come referred or at the very least highly rated on a platform like here or Angie's list).

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Well, it depends... 

    I'd love to see it broken down by types of rehabs:

    - Rental: A, B, C, D market

    - Flip: A, B, C, D market

  • Wadsworth, OH · Member since 2021 · 110 posts · 91 votes
    4y

    It varies a ton based on what all needs rehabbed, the age of the house, whether you hire out the work or do it yourself, how many of the big items need replaced (roof, windows, HVAC, etc.) the the location, the ARV, etc.

    I have tried using the price per square foot method, but honestly my numbers are always far more accurate when I actually look at the scope of work and estimate the cost based off of what needs done. But using price per square feet can be an easy way to get a quick rough estimate. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    $20/sqft. There!  How’s that for specific?

    But here’s the thing. I’m serious. I stick to cosmetic rehabs. Oh sure, each one might be more or less, but not crazy different. I’m generally not doing rehabs that are $40/sqft.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Is this a flip, rental, or personal home? High end or low?

    Somewhere between $150 and $500.

  • Sarah HattonPro Member
    Lender · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 80 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    As others have said the cost per square foot will vary depending on a few things...  asset type, total square footage, state/city, and also the level of rehab you're aiming for. When i'm underwriting a fix and flip deal I typically use $50 per square foot as a rule of thumb, leaving room for that number to go up or down depending on the factors. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sarah Hatton:

    As others have said the cost per square foot will vary depending on a few things...  asset type, total square footage, state/city, and also the level of rehab you're aiming for. When i'm underwriting a fix and flip deal I typically use $50 per square foot as a rule of thumb, leaving room for that number to go up or down depending on the factors. 


     Just curious...did you mean $150 SF ? If you can do any type of rehab for $50 SF, then I have a lot of work for you.....

    • Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
      Quote from @Sarah Hatton:

      I just went through this post. When you're referring to $150 per square foot, you don't mean $150 per square foot for the entire home? For example, if the home is 1650 square feet, that would equal $247,500 of rehab which seems way off. You can easily get a full condo rehab in Miami, FL for $18 to $20 per square foot.

      With your numbers, you're basically saying you would pay $525,000 to rehab a 3,500 squar foot place, which makes no sense at all.

      As others have said the cost per square foot will vary depending on a few things...  asset type, total square footage, state/city, and also the level of rehab you're aiming for. When i'm underwriting a fix and flip deal I typically use $50 per square foot as a rule of thumb, leaving room for that number to go up or down depending on the factors. 


       Just curious...did you mean $150 SF ? If you can do any type of rehab for $50 SF, then I have a lot of work for you.....


  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Its going to vary widely on depth of rehab.  If its a ground up tear down, it'll be significantly more expensive than a cosmetic rehab simply due to time and labor costs alone.  I am curious however what the general average is across the board as a baseline for rehab estimation purposes...

  • Sarah HattonPro Member
    Lender · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 80 posts · 56 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sarah Hatton:

    As others have said the cost per square foot will vary depending on a few things...  asset type, total square footage, state/city, and also the level of rehab you're aiming for. When i'm underwriting a fix and flip deal I typically use $50 per square foot as a rule of thumb, leaving room for that number to go up or down depending on the factors. 


     Just curious...did you mean $150 SF ? If you can do any type of rehab for $50 SF, then I have a lot of work for you.....

     Hey Bruce!

    Certainly not in California (where i'm from), ha. I don't imagine you would get pricing like that in AZ either...However we have a lot of business in other states, Ohio, Virginia, Illinois, (to name a few) where cost of rehab on a basic cosmetic fix and flip is much cheaper. We just finished financing a flip in IL and the rehab was $65k on a 2,000 sq. ft. home. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sarah Hatton:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sarah Hatton:

    As others have said the cost per square foot will vary depending on a few things...  asset type, total square footage, state/city, and also the level of rehab you're aiming for. When i'm underwriting a fix and flip deal I typically use $50 per square foot as a rule of thumb, leaving room for that number to go up or down depending on the factors. 


     Just curious...did you mean $150 SF ? If you can do any type of rehab for $50 SF, then I have a lot of work for you.....

     Hey Bruce!

    Certainly not in California (where i'm from), ha. I don't imagine you would get pricing like that in AZ either...However we have a lot of business in other states, Ohio, Virginia, Illinois, (to name a few) where cost of rehab on a basic cosmetic fix and flip is much cheaper. We just finished financing a flip in IL and the rehab was $65k on a 2,000 sq. ft. home. 


    Wow, ok....I have done homes for myself, providing all labor, and materials at cost, and I still never got that low. 

    (I'm originally from SD so I know how high prices are there, and not much lower now that I've moved to AZ, big building boom going on here....)

  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    4y

    The cost depends on several factors. location: California or New York versus the Midwest is a huge difference. Current local market: This may justify more expenses or restrict how much you should spend. What needs done: Is it a total gut rehab down to the studs? Or is it getting a makeover? Question is too general and open ended for a serious response.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @George Skidis:

    The cost depends on several factors. location: California or New York versus the Midwest is a huge difference. Current local market: This may justify more expenses or restrict how much you should spend. What needs done: Is it a total gut rehab down to the studs? Or is it getting a makeover? Question is too general and open ended for a serious response.


     Exactly....

  • Real Estate Broker · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 65 votes
    4y

    In Vegas, we are averaging about $27-30 a foot for a cosmetic rehab including RTA kitchen and vanities. 

  • Montclair, NJ · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Good post Alicia. Interested what the avg per sqft to rehab in NJ but this is a good reference!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    This question is too general to be of use. Is it a full renovation (paint, flooring, cabinets, fixtures), or is it minor? Is it an A-class property, or a C-class? And are the DIY folks including the costs of their labor or are they only counting cost of materials? Are they using market rates for their labor, or are they only counting $20 an hour when a professional would charge $45?

    So many questions!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 28 votes
    4y

    I just finished up a complete renovation and it came in around $45 per square foot. I'd categorize it as a B flip. Full gut, total rewire and replumb, refinish hardwoods, completely new and relocated kitchen with nicer than average cabinets, appliances and tile and addition of 3rd bedroom and utility room(using existing space). New roof, gutters, fascia, some drywall and exterior/interior paint. I kept existing bathrooms and replaced all fixtures with higher end. There was some light demo and re-do due to previous owner beginning demo. I did a lot of smaller work myself and didn't fully gut bathrooms, so I'm sure that saved me a ton. It turned out really nice and went under contract in 8 hours.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Melissa McGinnis:

    I just finished up a complete renovation and it came in around $45 per square foot. I'd categorize it as a B flip. Full gut, total rewire and replumb, refinish hardwoods, completely new and relocated kitchen with nicer than average cabinets, appliances and tile and addition of 3rd bedroom and utility room(using existing space). New roof, gutters, fascia, some drywall and exterior/interior paint. I kept existing bathrooms and replaced all fixtures with higher end. There was some light demo and re-do due to previous owner beginning demo. I did a lot of smaller work myself and didn't fully gut bathrooms, so I'm sure that saved me a ton. It turned out really nice and went under contract in 8 hours.


     You say you did the smaller work yourself. How did you value that time -by the hour or by project?

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 28 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Melissa McGinnis:

    I just finished up a complete renovation and it came in around $45 per square foot. I'd categorize it as a B flip. Full gut, total rewire and replumb, refinish hardwoods, completely new and relocated kitchen with nicer than average cabinets, appliances and tile and addition of 3rd bedroom and utility room(using existing space). New roof, gutters, fascia, some drywall and exterior/interior paint. I kept existing bathrooms and replaced all fixtures with higher end. There was some light demo and re-do due to previous owner beginning demo. I did a lot of smaller work myself and didn't fully gut bathrooms, so I'm sure that saved me a ton. It turned out really nice and went under contract in 8 hours.


     You say you did the smaller work yourself. How did you value that time -by the hour or by project?


  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 28 votes
    4y

    I paid myself $25 an hour, which is what my handyman charges(I know that's cheap). When getting more professional help, it came out to about $40 an hour

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    This is so dependent on the type of rehab and the scope of work.

    The last rehab I did that was near 100% cosmetic came out to $36/ft. Medium grade finishes and I was able to refinish the cabinets. Only non cosmetic item was the water heater replacement and tune up for the A/C. Both relatively small items.

    Another rehab I completed for $64/ft. Higher end finishes. About 80% cosmetic. 

    It all depends on the scope of work and the level of finishes you are using. 

    What I have learned is if you take two houses that are in the exact same condition. If one house is 1500 sft and the other is 3000 sft. The reno cost per sft on the 3000sft home is going to be 3x higher. A larger home, typically means better neighborhood, higher end finishes. Higher ceilings (more paint, more drywall, longer gutters). 

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I cannot check a box. Cost depends on location and goals. Low cost housing construction should be $130 but luxury can be $400

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.