• Houston, TX
Votes |
Advice on land with septic constraints

Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Apr 28 2023, 06:28

I recently purchased a duplex on a quarter acre of land with city water and septic. I initially wanted to build another duplex on the land but due to septic constraints, I can't. What are some other things I can do with the remaining portion of the land to bring in more income? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC
Replied Apr 28 2023, 08:37

Hello @Casey Wheaton - A quarter acre is not a lot of space for two duplexes on septic, but have you researched some of the types of alternative septic systems that may work where a conventional system cannot? But even with those you may need more space. How's your parking? You could add additional parking, or you could add a storage shed or two and make them available to the tenants for an additional fee. A paved area for a basketball hoop? Secured storage for bikes? A grill / picnic area? Playset for children? Anything you add to make the property more appealing could thereby justify a bump in rent for the current or certainly future tenants.

• Real Estate Agent North Carolina (#285033)

Blue Chariot Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 09:00

@Jonathan Taylor Smith Sorry, it's a half acre. Thanks for the ideas. 

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA

User Stats

Votes
Edward Adams
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 10:36

There are several options you can consider to generate additional income from the remaining portion of land on your property:

1. Build an accessory dwelling unit (ADU): An ADU is a smaller, self-contained dwelling unit that can be built on the same lot as an existing home or duplex. Depending on local zoning laws and regulations, you may be able to build an ADU on your property that could be rented out as a separate living space.

2. Create a garden or urban farm: If you enjoy gardening and have a green thumb, you could consider creating a garden or urban farm on the unused portion of your land. You could grow fruits and vegetables to sell at local farmers' markets, or start a subscription-based service that delivers fresh produce to local customers.

3. Rent out the land for storage: If you have a fenced-in portion of your land, you could consider renting it out to tenants for storage purposes. This could include RVs, boats, cars, or other types of vehicles.

4. Install a solar array: Depending on the size and orientation of your property, you may be able to install a solar array on the unused portion of your land. You could sell the energy generated to a local utility or use it to power your own property.

5. Rent out the land for events: If your property is in a desirable location, you could consider renting out the unused land for events such as weddings, parties, or other gatherings. This could provide a lucrative source of income, particularly during the summer months.

Before pursuing any of these options, it's important to conduct thorough research and consult with local zoning and building authorities to ensure that your plans are feasible and comply with any relevant regulations. Additionally, you may want to consult with a local real estate professional or property manager to assess the potential rental income for each option and determine which strategy makes the most sense for your specific property and investment goals.

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 11:21

@Edward Adams Great, thank you!!! 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 16:46

You may be able to subdivide and rezone it, talk to an engineer and they will brainstorm with you given their experience. 

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 16:55

@Eliott Elias thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Apr 28 2023, 17:30
Quote from @Jonathan Taylor Smith:

Hello @Casey Wheaton - A quarter acre is not a lot of space for two duplexes on septic, but have you researched some of the types of alternative septic systems that may work where a conventional system cannot? But even with those you may need more space. How's your parking? You could add additional parking, or you could add a storage shed or two and make them available to the tenants for an additional fee. A paved area for a basketball hoop? Secured storage for bikes? A grill / picnic area? Playset for children? Anything you add to make the property more appealing could thereby justify a bump in rent for the current or certainly future tenants.

Research Aerobic Treatment Units (ATUs).  ATUs cost more to install and operate, but they require much less space than a traditional septic system.  The reduced leaching could provide you the room to add the duplex. You need to check with your jurisdiction to see what they require in terms of leaching for an ATU, but it should be significantly less than for a tradition septic system.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 28 2023, 17:47

@Dan Heuschele Thank you!! I didn't know this. I'm certainly going to look into this. 

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Apr 29 2023, 10:15

As the poster above mentioned, with septics, leach lines are the determining factor, and it's usually based on number of bedrooms. One half acre isn't very big, but, with some of the non conventional systems, they deal with that. Talk to the local authority that permits septics. Get the names of people that design septic systems, and see what they can do on your parcel. But before anything, find out what the zoning density is. 

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 29 2023, 10:17

@Karen Margrave great, thank you so much for the information!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2023, 19:44

Sorry to not have answers for you and also ask questions but..  I am currently about to build a duplex on .5 acres and the city is giving me a hard time, saying that .5 acres is small for a septic and I have to bring a septic system to the table that passes all requirements.  So May I ask, do you have any information about your septic system??  Thanks so much.

-Adam

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 05:21

What state/city are you in? Every county has its own septic guidelines. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 24 2023, 05:40
Quote from @Adam Richman:

Sorry to not have answers for you and also ask questions but..  I am currently about to build a duplex on .5 acres and the city is giving me a hard time, saying that .5 acres is small for a septic and I have to bring a septic system to the table that passes all requirements.  So May I ask, do you have any information about your septic system??  Thanks so much.

-Adam

0.5 acre should be fine for a duplex unless it is really big. I know someone with ~0.5 acres (0.46) who has a duplex on it.  I also have a rental with a septic-also on half an acre, but only half of the land is suitable for a septic as the other half is lower and there is a creek running through it.  Both had new septic systems put in within the last 10 years.  Talk to a septic company.  For my rental, they stacked some of the leaching field to reduce the overall foot print.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 25 2023, 09:24

Thank you so much for your time replying.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 09:33

If you have city sewer, maybe just bite the bullet and hook both up.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2023, 14:41
Quote from @Casey Wheaton:

I'm in Granbury, TX.  Currently working with an engineer to build a system that will pass all requirements.  I will update later with results, as it may help someone. 

User Stats

Votes
Casey Wheaton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 26 2023, 14:46

Sounds good. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vinson
Pro Member
  • Granbury, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Granbury, TX
Replied May 28 2023, 06:31
Quote from @Adam Richman:
Quote from @Casey Wheaton:

I'm in Granbury, TX.  Currently working with an engineer to build a system that will pass all requirements.  I will update later with results, as it may help someone. 

I have a guy in Granbury that has put several septics in for me.  Bob Aness is his name and he uses Victor Ashe for engineering.  I can send contact if you need.