Real Estate Agent · El Cajon, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 35 votes
Hi Investors, Brokers, and Realtors:
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Section 8 (CMHA in Cleveland commonly) is a great way to create long term consistent cash flow. You can do it in single family and multi family.
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Section 8 (CMHA in Cleveland commonly) is a great way to create long term consistent cash flow. You can do it in single family and multi family.
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Not exactly Akron, but I invest in Canton and it checks all the boxes you mentioned. Definitely better for cash flow over appreciation and multi-family properties aren’t hard to come by. No shortage of people with Section 8/SMHA vouchers. As far as being landlord friendly, you’ll have annual per-door registration fees and inspections to deal with if you’re in the city, as well as Section 8 inspections. Being out of state, I’d make sure you’ve got a solid person or team of people you can count on when it comes to repairs, maintenance and general boots-on-the-ground.
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Yes! lol
Ohio has multiple markets that investors like for cashflow such as Toledo, Cleveland, and Dayton.
Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Some of my properties in Columbus have tripled in value in just a couple of years. Some of my Cleveland properties are hitting the 2% rule. Take your pick of cashflow or appreciation. Ohio has a variety of markets. Or if you want 4% rules (with some shady tenants like hookers and drug dealers) you could buy in East Cleveland or parts of Toledo!
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Columbus, Ohio is a great market to pick up rental properties because of the lower home prices and demand from renters. JPMorgan Chase, Nationwide, Honda, L Brands, Huntington, and Amazon are just a few of the many companies that have thousands of jobs in the city.
Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 273 votes
3y
In Cleveland and Dayton, the city proper has alot of vacancy. Until recently you could buy an abandoned house for the same price as a vacant lot from the city planners. They were literally selling houses for the price of dirt... I was getting cash flows on such property of 30 percent of capital outlay. BUT.. I do it all myself.. am there on location alot. ..know the neighbors... Come by my places en route to my other places right by my home.. it's impossible to do that from a distance.. so you are going to need a team if you are from out of town... The higher the cash flow the higher the risks it seems
What do you recommend to a California investor that wants to invest in Ohio for Cash Flow? I know the appreciation is not the greatest but cash flow is great. I have heard good things about both. My criteria is pretty much cash flow, landlord friendly, I want multi-family over SFR, Section 8 tenants mostly.
Thanks!
Hi Anthony, personally, I really like Columbus Ohio and work with a lot of out of state investors - there's so many catalysts for why you should invest here. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. Just a few weeks ago, I helped a client close on a deal getting them 20% cash on cash return. My biggest advice for out of state investors is finding the right team members who has your best interest at heart (and not chasing a commission check or see you as a paycheck!). If that means interviewing multiple people, you should definitely do so! As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!
Some of my properties in Columbus have tripled in value in just a couple of years. Some of my Cleveland properties are hitting the 2% rule. Take your pick of cashflow or appreciation. Ohio has a variety of markets. Or if you want 4% rules (with some shady tenants like hookers and drug dealers) you could buy in East Cleveland or parts of Toledo!
Since when do you not have hookers and blow in Columbus?
In Cleveland and Dayton, the city proper has alot of vacancy. Until recently you could buy an abandoned house for the same price as a vacant lot from the city planners. They were literally selling houses for the price of dirt... I was getting cash flows on such property of 30 percent of capital outlay. BUT.. I do it all myself.. am there on location alot. ..know the neighbors... Come by my places en route to my other places right by my home.. it's impossible to do that from a distance.. so you are going to need a team if you are from out of town... The higher the cash flow the higher the risks it seems
Gordon are you a contractor? If so, I'd love to connect. We're buying in Dayton but have mostly been looking at turnkey because we don't have relationships with trades yet. There's definitely potential for improving distressed properties, which is our bread and butter in northern CA, but we haven't yet taken on a rehab project in Dayton.
Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 273 votes
3y
My construction fix and flip operation is a just small family group, perpetually swamped. For the last couple years its been very important and kind of tough to find contractors to work in Dayton. This is because there are so many investors and so many messed up houses to work on. There is also demand from move in buyers who want their abando rehabbed. As an investor its best to start with a totally rehabbed property and be very patient with tenant selection. My suggestion is buy finished places for now until the contractors get caught up or some new ones come to town. Check out the listing for 260 Westwood Ave., Dayton. There is a perfect example of a beautiful place where you could just list it then wait for the perfect tenant.
Gordon are you a contractor? If so, I'd love to connect. We're buying in Dayton but have mostly been looking at turnkey because we don't have relationships with trade I am an investor who acts as contractor on properties that I own. I switched from buy and hold to fix and flip fully rehabbed single family while I scoop up duplexes.. kind of a hobby going through abandoes
Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 622 votes
3y
I'm always buying for cash flow and appreciation. My market is in the midwest, but not Ohio. My answer to you is to demand both. I told about me first to show you can find it.