Hello members,
I am an out of state investor, currently owning 10 units in Cleveland. I am now planning to buy some properties in Toledo for the cash flow, and collecting some data. What are the C and C+ neighborhoods in Toledo today ? Which tenant profile for SFH are you likely to meet in those areas ?
Great thanks !
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
Adding...turn over and vacancy seem to be the big topics that BP doesn't discuss.
SURE a C- property looks like a winner on paper. $800/mo for $40k is 2% rule, that's crazy!!!
Longevity in the property is where the reality comes into play.
If you have a resident renting for 12 months and they pay the whole amount but move out, you will have to repair the property back to that top-of-the-market $800 range to be competitive. Figure a few grand to paint rooms, replace carpet in a room, deep clean and spruce the property, replace a fixture or two, etc.
If you have to replace your resident annually the $9600 total income will get a gut punch.
The true value of the higher-end neighborhoods is residents know if they move out of the home they have it's a challenge to find another, especially if they have been there a few years and have a competitively rewarding rent rate.
All this really is is basic economics...sell ten custom widgets for $1000 or 100 standard widgets for $100 each. The income is the same, the difference is how hard you work to achieve it.
Parting thought, I also purposefully lag the top of the rental market in my personal portfolio...if a property I have owned for 4 years was rented at $900 and has a good resident then even though the value of that property may be $1250 I am still going to put this specific resident at $1050 so both the resident and my portfolio are winners each year and we have incentive to keep it that way.
Dear Andrew,
Thanks a lot for your complete analysis and valuable information. This is very true and could equally apply to the Cleveland market where I own properties now. The matter of fact, I own an 8 units apartment building in a C area there. Toledo B- numinous neighborhoods are quite interesting and that was going to be my next questions : Where are the main B- areas located in Toledo, and what is the average buying price range for a SFH property there ? What will the difference be between a B- and C+ tenant in Toledo, which will result in greater consistency for the first one ?
Rgds
Dear Andrew,
Thanks a lot for your complete analysis and valuable information. This is very true and could equally apply to the Cleveland market where I own properties now. The matter of fact, I own an 8 units apartment building in a C area there. Toledo B- numinous neighborhoods are quite interesting and that was going to be my next questions : Where are the main B- areas located in Toledo, and what is the average buying price range for a SFH property there ? What will the difference be between a B- and C+ tenant in Toledo, which will result in greater consistency for the first one ?
Rgds
It was always interesting when out of state folks visit Toledo and would say our B class is there "Z class" lol
I guess being born with a silver spoon causes such a judgement.
But it is what it is.
Toledo's "B class" has IMO been lower priced with higher cashflow than in pretty much any other market in the Midwest.
Won't steal Andrew's thunder here but some decent zip codes to consider on a "street by street" basis are 43609, 43610 and 43620.
Wouldn't have touched them back in the day but have been finding some decent pockets lately.
43612 and 43613 is "creme de la creme" for full market value.
It's a hard gig getting anything under market value nowadays.
Much success 馃檹馃憤
Dear Andrew,
Thanks a lot for your complete analysis and valuable information. This is very true and could equally apply to the Cleveland market where I own properties now. The matter of fact, I own an 8 units apartment building in a C area there. Toledo B- numinous neighborhoods are quite interesting and that was going to be my next questions : Where are the main B- areas located in Toledo, and what is the average buying price range for a SFH property there ? What will the difference be between a B- and C+ tenant in Toledo, which will result in greater consistency for the first one ?
Rgds
I highly prefer B- tenants to C+ tenants. They stay longer and have better jobs typically. C+ tenants are more prone to eviction when the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle hits an unforeseen expense and they stop paying rent.
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
what about 43607? I found an off market 4 pack of houses that seem to be in great shape. And the owner will finance
@Dave Poeppelmeier is my go to guy for 43607.
Not exactly an answer to your question but I randomly stumbled across a tired landlord who wants to sell his property off-market in Toledo, happy to share if you are interested.
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
what about 43607? I found an off market 4 pack of houses that seem to be in great shape. And the owner will finance
Thanks for your message Jonah,
43607 will depend on the exact area.
Most it is good.
I've always believed that "nothing is wrong with any deal as long as the price is right" hehe
Thanks again
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
what about 43607? I found an off market 4 pack of houses that seem to be in great shape. And the owner will finance
Your basically finding what all the other investors in town have already passed up on. I suppose it could still work if you negotiated hard and got a super rock bottom price.
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
what about 43607? I found an off market 4 pack of houses that seem to be in great shape. And the owner will finance
Your basically finding what all the other investors in town have already passed up on. I suppose it could still work if you negotiated hard and got a super rock bottom price.
why do you assume that? they are below market price and 0% owner financing. that sounds like a deal most investors would have jumped on.
@Dave Dumoulin Hey thank you for focusing on Toledo Dave!
Defining the class of the neighborhoods is the tough one to start that grade C out for...I have some clients unused to the mid-west who are used to high-end suburbs who consider our better areas a B- area.
Personally, I classify the C- anything I verify I have easy access to my spare magazine before I enter a vacant property. B grade property walks are attended by my children to run around and tell me which bedrooms they would pick if it was their home.
43605, 43608, 43609 are the popular zipcodes for bottom-budget value purchases...I manage a ton in these areas and my personal portfolio contained over 40 43608 properties at the peak.
20% of these properties will be crazy money earners, 20% will be astounding money pits, and 60% will fare average.
I have evolved into the nicer 43612/43613 for my personal portfolio and find the properties earn consistently and far smoother than my 43608 houses. ($80k renting for $1200 vs $40k renting for $800 multiplied by the ratio above vs boring consistency of the nicer area)
Oh and I have zero excitement for apartments. I have been investing in Toledo, OH since 2009 and owned 2-12 unit buildings and find they are way too hyped (read lots of guys from BP want to pay too much for them) and the reality is residents in Toledo are ultimately seeking a house with a yard and a garage so as soon as a resident improves their financial situation they move into a house. Additionally Section 8 owns a ton of apartment complexes so there is aggressive competition when compared to the single family vouchers that are very commonly available to us small-time housing providers.
Love to talk Toledo, again thank you for the interest!
what about 43607? I found an off market 4 pack of houses that seem to be in great shape. And the owner will finance
Your basically finding what all the other investors in town have already passed up on. I suppose it could still work if you negotiated hard and got a super rock bottom price.
why do you assume that? they are below market price and 0% owner financing. that sounds like a deal most investors would have jumped on.
North or South of Dorr? How far East or West? 馃憤