Would you like a to earn points for every action you take on BiggerPockets?

Would you like a to earn points for every action you take on BiggerPockets?

Jacques CaspiPro Member
New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone!

I am the Director of Memberships at BiggerPockets. I am researching using a point rewards system for Pro members, where you get points for every calculator you use, every forum post you respond to, etc. These points would eventually win you prizes (a free book, a discount to BPCON). I am posting here to ask the community if they like this idea.

BiggerPockets
4Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike LambertPro Member
Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

@Jacques Caspi

I like the reason behind the idea but I think the idea itself is very bad because, if you implement it, you risk having 10,000 members replying "Welcome" when a new member/poster introduces him/herself. That would be terrible. Also, I think that the members who post and reply the most do so not because they want to find customers for whatever they have to sell or get any sort of profit but first and foremost because they want to give back and help. They'll take the time to write thoughtful and detailed replies if they can and if it helps, irrespective whether they get a reward or not. That's at least my case. I imagina that you guys want to encourage the best behavior that benefits the community.

You guys know who the biggest posters/repliers are. If you want to reward us (and I'm by far not one of the biggest), why don't you just send us a personal message to thank us and, if you want, give us a gift as well. If you want to give something, I'd suggest a discount on BPCON for example. I don't know if it'd make any difference to them and if they'd go with or without discount but having the likes of @Chris Seveney, @Joe S., @Jay Hinrichs, @Alecia Loveless, @Matthew Paul or @Henry Clark at BPCON would definitely add value to the event.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jacques Caspi:

    Hi everyone!

    I am the Director of Memberships at BiggerPockets. I am researching using a point rewards system for Pro members, where you get points for every calculator you use, every forum post you respond to, etc. These points would eventually win you prizes (a free book, a discount to BPCON). I am posting here to ask the community if they like this idea.


     would love it if it is retroactive :) 

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Jacques Caspi:

      Hi everyone!

      I am the Director of Memberships at BiggerPockets. I am researching using a point rewards system for Pro members, where you get points for every calculator you use, every forum post you respond to, etc. These points would eventually win you prizes (a free book, a discount to BPCON). I am posting here to ask the community if they like this idea.


       would love it if it is retroactive :) 


      me to. 
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Jacques Caspi:

      Hi everyone!

      I am the Director of Memberships at BiggerPockets. I am researching using a point rewards system for Pro members, where you get points for every calculator you use, every forum post you respond to, etc. These points would eventually win you prizes (a free book, a discount to BPCON). I am posting here to ask the community if they like this idea.


       would love it if it is retroactive :) 


      me to. 

      I think you would qualify for Jelly of the Month Club as your bonus

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    So let me get this correct….a person is supposed to buy Pro membership for the possibility to win a free book? Oh man, y’all are too generous. Is it a paperback or a download?🤔

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Jacques Caspi I’d like to see a range of benefits that you could potentially earn points towards.

    A credit towards BPConn

    A book credit

    A credit towards your pro membership.

    This way people like me who have already bought most of the books might earn $25 off their pro membership.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    I have always liked cold hard cash .

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I just want a BP hat.  

    Been working forever to get my vote count above my post count.  This post just cost me on my count.  

    Actually you should do something.  To me BP works because people want their response “now”.  It’s the rotisserie chicken for $4 at Sam’s or the cheap Turkey at the grocery store at Thanksgiving.  I would recommend you give a free pass to BPcon every year to the top 20 posters.  Without the open forum the BP books, services, and even podcasts wouldn’t get the impact of the funnel of free posting by new members.  

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jacques Caspi

    I like the reason behind the idea but I think the idea itself is very bad because, if you implement it, you risk having 10,000 members replying "Welcome" when a new member/poster introduces him/herself. That would be terrible. Also, I think that the members who post and reply the most do so not because they want to find customers for whatever they have to sell or get any sort of profit but first and foremost because they want to give back and help. They'll take the time to write thoughtful and detailed replies if they can and if it helps, irrespective whether they get a reward or not. That's at least my case. I imagina that you guys want to encourage the best behavior that benefits the community.

    You guys know who the biggest posters/repliers are. If you want to reward us (and I'm by far not one of the biggest), why don't you just send us a personal message to thank us and, if you want, give us a gift as well. If you want to give something, I'd suggest a discount on BPCON for example. I don't know if it'd make any difference to them and if they'd go with or without discount but having the likes of @Chris Seveney, @Joe S., @Jay Hinrichs, @Alecia Loveless, @Matthew Paul or @Henry Clark at BPCON would definitely add value to the event.

    • Jacques CaspiPro Member
      OP
      New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 8 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mike Lambert:

      @Jacques Caspi

      I like the reason behind the idea but I think the idea itself is very bad because, if you implement it, you risk having 10,000 members replying "Welcome" when a new member/poster introduces him/herself. That would be terrible. Also, I think that the members who post and reply the most do so not because they want to find customers for whatever they have to sell or get any sort of profit but first and foremost because they want to give back and help. They'll take the time to write thoughtful and detailed replies if they can and if it helps, irrespective whether they get a reward or not. That's at least my case. I imagina that you guys want to encourage the best behavior that benefits the community.

      You guys know who the biggest posters/repliers are. If you want to reward us (and I'm by far not one of the biggest), why don't you just send us a personal message to thank us and, if you want, give us a gift as well. If you want to give something, I'd suggest a discount on BPCON for example. I don't know if it'd make any difference to them and if they'd go with or without discount but having the likes of @Chris Seveney, @Joe S., @Jay Hinrichs, @Alecia Loveless, @Matthew Paul or @Henry Clark at BPCON would definitely add value to the event.

      Thanks for your feedback Mike, this is super useful
      BiggerPockets
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y

    I hope to never have points giver per post.  Imagine the $hit posts that would result.

    I question the benefit of getting points for using the calculator.

    I think the points should reward quality and not quantity.  Quality on this forum is indicated by upvotes.  Blogs add value as do new threads that achieve a certain level of response.

    It likely would not change anything I do on BP.  But if I got a free book, discount on my membership, or discount to BPCon for things that I am already doing, I certainly would not complain. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.