Recs for investing in Florida

Recs for investing in Florida

New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 7 votes

Hey everyone, I'm looking to invest in a property anywhere between Tampa/St. Petersburg and Fort Myers, FL. Ideally, looking for some kind of house hack situation, but open to a regular rental investment property, as well. Would love your thoughts on what areas currently have good deals and returns.

5Reply
319 views

Most Popular Reply

Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
1y

@Stefanie McLaren reach out to @Josh Green. He is our BiggerPockets local expert in the Tampa/St. Pete area! 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would avoid Ft Myers. The values fluctuate too much down there. So much supply and so little demand. 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    1y

    @Stefanie McLaren reach out to @Josh Green. He is our BiggerPockets local expert in the Tampa/St. Pete area! 

  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor · Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton · Member since 2020 · 396 posts · 353 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Stefanie McLaren:

    Hey everyone, I'm looking to invest in a property anywhere between Tampa/St. Petersburg and Fort Myers, FL. Ideally, looking for some kind of house hack situation, but open to a regular rental investment property, as well. Would love your thoughts on what areas currently have good deals and returns.


     Hey!  I LOVE house-hacking!  I've done it several time and have helped several buyers in recent months/weeks with house hacks in the Tampa/St Pete area.  Lots of ways to do it and several awesome options are on the market right now.  I'm actually going to one tonight for a client!  Feel free to text me and let's chat on the phone real quick to see how we can find the right profitability to comfortability ratio for you!

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 929 votes
    1y

    @Stefanie McLaren

    Great to see you jumping in, Stefanie. That stretch between Tampa and Fort Myers has been really popular—lots of investor interest, strong demand drivers, but it’s also getting competitive. With house hacks, you’ll usually get the best returns closer to major employment centers or universities, since demand stays strong for room rentals or duplex setups.

    One thing to watch is insurance and property taxes—they can eat into returns quickly in Florida. That’s why a lot of folks also diversify into the Midwest, where acquisition prices are lower, cash flow is stronger, and it pairs well with keeping something in Florida for appreciation.

    What type of returns are you targeting—more cash flow or long-term appreciation?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Thanks - Well, ideally it’s both! Wanting cash flow more right now. Was thinking str or mid term rentals 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 929 votes
    1y

    @Stefanie McLaren

    got it — that makes sense. If cash flow is your main focus right now, MTRs usually strike a nice balance between steady occupancy and higher returns than a standard long-term rental, without as much management intensity as STRs.

    In Florida, you’ll definitely want to factor in seasonality for STRs and the impact of insurance/taxes. In the Midwest, you can usually find deals where MTRs and LTRs still cash flow well even after expenses, which helps offset any volatility in Florida.

    I've seen investors do well with a hybrid strategy: keep a cash-flowing base in the Midwest and add STR/MTR in Florida for appreciation + higher upside.

    Are you leaning more toward buying locally in FL first, or would you consider out-of-state for stronger numbers?

  • Member since 2025 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Stefanie! Great to see you diving into Florida investing. Tampa Bay, St. Pete, and Fort Myers all have strong rental markets, but each area has its own vibe and price points. Tampa/St. Pete tends to have a mix of house-hack opportunities and strong long-term appreciation, while Fort Myers has been popular for investors looking for affordability and solid rental demand. It really depends on your budget and whether you’re leaning toward cash flow or appreciation. Happy to connect and share more insights if you’d like!

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Cape Coral is on SALE right now! There are deals everywhere.

  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I'm a lender and investor from the Tampa market. You just described three very different markets that, particularly in the Tampa Bay area, can go neighborhood by neighborhood...street by street even. You mentioned Fort Myers. It's a nice town, but SW FL has historically been the first to go down in a crash and that area, when it goes, crashes hard. As lenders, we're seeing less flips, but more ground-up spec construction deals. Just be careful with your math and I would avoid building appreciation in your modeling when you set a buy price. If you're in Tampa, let's grab coffee. I would love to talk through it with you. 

    • Investor · Clearwater Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Doug Smith:

      I'm a lender and investor from the Tampa market. You just described three very different markets that, particularly in the Tampa Bay area, can go neighborhood by neighborhood...street by street even. You mentioned Fort Myers. It's a nice town, but SW FL has historically been the first to go down in a crash and that area, when it goes, crashes hard. As lenders, we're seeing less flips, but more ground-up spec construction deals. Just be careful with your math and I would avoid building appreciation in your modeling when you set a buy price. If you're in Tampa, let's grab coffee. I would love to talk through it with you. 


       Hello Doug, I'm eavesdropping here. I love to take you for that cup of coffee, know a perfect spot, and hear some thoughts, also looking to invest, let me know I'm in the Lutz area.

  • Lender · Tampa/Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 356 posts · 148 votes
    1y

    Great area/s to be looking, Stefanie.  I started out house hacking and it’s still my favorite way to build wealth—it keeps your living costs low and gets you into investing faster.

    Between Tampa, St. Pete, and down toward Fort Myers, you’ve got a few different plays:

    • Tampa/St. Pete – higher prices but strong rental demand, especially near USF or downtown. House hacks work well here, and STRs can do great in the right pockets if that interests you.

    • Bradenton/Sarasota – a little more affordable than St. Pete with steady rental demand. Good mix of long term tenants and STR opportunities closer to the beaches.

    • Fort Myers/Cape Coral – seeing a downturn right now and definitely a buyers market, lower entry costs compared to Tampa Bay. The rental market is more challenging down there right now. 

    Since you mentioned house hacking, I’d lean toward duplexes/triplexes in Tampa or St. Pete —they hold value and cash flow well. I'm on the mortgage broker side and specialize in working with investors. I also have a couple realtors that work great with house hacker/investors if you need recommendations in any of those specific markets. 

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 685 votes
    1y

    Hey Stefanie, welcome to the game! I've been investing in Tampa Bay for 20+ years and went from 0 to 40 properties, doing some of the rehab myself, so I'm a big fan of house hacks. Tampa/St. Pete is still where I'd focus—steady demand, especially in spots like Seminole Heights, Ybor, and even the "high-end of the low-end" areas around Robles Park that are now seeing a lot of movement. Sarasota/Bradenton gives you solid rents at a lower buy-in, while Fort Myers/Cape Coral is cheaper but way more volatile when the market shifts. Since you're after cash flow with STR/MTR, Tampa Bay tends to give you the best mix of stability and upside—are you leaning more toward Tampa/St. Pete or further south?

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
    • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jorge Vazquez:

      Hey Stefanie, welcome to the game! I've been investing in Tampa Bay for 20+ years and went from 0 to 40 properties, doing some of the rehab myself, so I'm a big fan of house hacks. Tampa/St. Pete is still where I'd focus—steady demand, especially in spots like Seminole Heights, Ybor, and even the "high-end of the low-end" areas around Robles Park that are now seeing a lot of movement. Sarasota/Bradenton gives you solid rents at a lower buy-in, while Fort Myers/Cape Coral is cheaper but way more volatile when the market shifts. Since you're after cash flow with STR/MTR, Tampa Bay tends to give you the best mix of stability and upside—are you leaning more toward Tampa/St. Pete or further south?


       Thanks! Yeah, leaning more Tampa/St.Pete right now

  • Realtor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2024 · 55 posts · 40 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Stefanie McLaren:

    Hey everyone, I'm looking to invest in a property anywhere between Tampa/St. Petersburg and Fort Myers, FL. Ideally, looking for some kind of house hack situation, but open to a regular rental investment property, as well. Would love your thoughts on what areas currently have good deals and returns.


     Hey Stefanie,

    We have a couple of clients who have good multi family properties available in St Petersburg! Reach out anytime, I would love to connect! Thanks, Kyle

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Thanks for all your replies, appreciate the recs :) 

    Does anyone know how midterms are doing in St.Pete's/Gulfport lately? What's ideal for mid-term in terms of beds/baths?

  • Property Manager · Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC · Member since 2024 · 264 posts · 118 votes
    1y

    @Stefanie McLaren 

    Great to see you're exploring house hacking opportunities between Tampa and Fort Myers! This region offers a mix of urban growth, rental demand, and potential for solid returns.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.