New to Real Estate - Advice on starting out

New to Real Estate - Advice on starting out

New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I just graduated from Appalachian State with a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship, and I recently moved to Atlanta for work, quite a change of pace coming from the mountains!

I’m looking for weekend work where I can get hands-on experience in real estate. I love being hands-on and I’m not afraid to take risks, so if anyone in the Atlanta area could use an extra set of hands, I’d love to help out.

As for real estate itself, I’d love some book recommendations and other ways to build relevant skills. My plan is to start with house hacking and flipping, then move into long-term or short-term rentals. I’ve been looking into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to sharpen my construction skills, and I’m also considering electrical classes and similar hands-on training. I’d say I’m a go-getter, and I’d love to connect with anyone open to mentoring me, or anyone who could use some extra help and take a bit of work off their plate.

My current goal is to save up for a down payment on a duplex or triplex. If you have any advice on the best way to get there, or any general tips for someone just starting out, I’d love to hear it!

4Reply
258 views

Most Popular Reply

Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1mo
Quote from @Devin LeBlanc:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I just graduated from Appalachian State with a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship, and I recently moved to Atlanta for work, quite a change of pace coming from the mountains!

I’m looking for weekend work where I can get hands-on experience in real estate. I love being hands-on and I’m not afraid to take risks, so if anyone in the Atlanta area could use an extra set of hands, I’d love to help out.

As for real estate itself, I’d love some book recommendations and other ways to build relevant skills. My plan is to start with house hacking and flipping, then move into long-term or short-term rentals. I’ve been looking into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to sharpen my construction skills, and I’m also considering electrical classes and similar hands-on training. I’d say I’m a go-getter, and I’d love to connect with anyone open to mentoring me, or anyone who could use some extra help and take a bit of work off their plate.

My current goal is to save up for a down payment on a duplex or triplex. If you have any advice on the best way to get there, or any general tips for someone just starting out, I’d love to hear it!

Welcome to BP! It sounds like you're already approaching this the right way by focusing on building skills before jumping into your first deal. Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity is a great idea, and I'd also recommend trying to connect with local flippers or small contractors who could use help on weekends. Even if you're doing demo, painting, or cleanup at first, you'll learn a ton just by being around active projects. For books, I found The Book on Rental Property Investing and The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs really practical when I was getting started. One thing I'd add is to spend time underwriting deals every week, even if you're not ready to buy yet. The more properties you analyze, the faster you'll recognize a good deal when it comes along. Since you're planning to house hack, keep saving for that down payment while learning how to estimate repairs and run numbers confidently. That combination will put you ahead of a lot of people who only read books but never take action. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1mo

    Welcome to BiggerPockets  @Devin LeBlanc. I'm not in Atlanta, Georgia so I wouldn't be able to meet up with you in person but maybe I can give you some direction. 

    Check out real estate meetups on meetup.com or see if you can find some on BiggerPockets. Also, start connecting with wholesalers. That's a good place to start. 

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    1mo

    Welcome, Devin! Congrats on the recent degree, now the real work starts!

    House hacking is definitely the way to get started. If I were starting over, that would be step #1. To get there, though, you have to live below your means and hustle. There really aren't any shortcuts. The good news is that if you're disciplined early, it creates a foundation that pays dividends for years.

    I'll keep an eye out for anyone who may need help and could be a good connection for you. Feel free to reach out anytime if you have questions or want to bounce ideas around. Happy to help however I can.

    Stay consistent, keep looking at deals, and focus on getting one meaningful win at a time. It compounds faster than you think.

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 4 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Stephen Quesinberry:

      Welcome, Devin! Congrats on the recent degree, now the real work starts!

      House hacking is definitely the way to get started. If I were starting over, that would be step #1. To get there, though, you have to live below your means and hustle. There really aren't any shortcuts. The good news is that if you're disciplined early, it creates a foundation that pays dividends for years.

      I'll keep an eye out for anyone who may need help and could be a good connection for you. Feel free to reach out anytime if you have questions or want to bounce ideas around. Happy to help however I can.

      Stay consistent, keep looking at deals, and focus on getting one meaningful win at a time. It compounds faster than you think.


       Thank you so much for the advice. Yes, please keep me in mind for any good connections as well. 

  • Jay TolugantiPro Member
    Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2025 · 225 posts · 78 votes
    1mo

    Welcome. Network with fellow investors at local REIA meetups.
    i would recommend below books:

    Strategy:

    Rich man in Babylon

    Robert Kiosaki

    • Rich Dad Poor Dad
    • Cashflow Quadrant
    • Guide to investing
    • Real book of Real Estate

    Real Estate Journey:

    Ken McKelroy

    • ABCs of Real Estate Investing
    • Advanced book of Real Estate Investing
    • ABC of Property management
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo

    @Devin LeBlanc, what line of work are you venturing into? Two books I constantly recommend for people in your situation: The House Hacking Strategy by Craig Curelop and Real Estate by the Numbers by J. Scott and Dave Meyer. Don't end up like a lot of new investors who buy a property but have zero reserves. Make sure you're accounting for that before you pull the trigger. As for groups, join GaREIA. They have new investor meetings and in-person meetups at a current project, so the folks there will be solid resources for understanding the rehab side of things. Happy to connect!

    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 4 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Michael Dumler:

      @Devin LeBlanc, what line of work are you venturing into? Two books I constantly recommend for people in your situation: The House Hacking Strategy by Craig Curelop and Real Estate by the Numbers by J. Scott and Dave Meyer. Don't end up like a lot of new investors who buy a property but have zero reserves. Make sure you're accounting for that before you pull the trigger. As for groups, join GaREIA. They have new investor meetings and in-person meetups at a current project, so the folks there will be solid resources for understanding the rehab side of things. Happy to connect!


       I am going into engineering sales. I will make sure I have reserves when I start!   

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 461 posts · 250 votes
    1mo

    Hi Devin from Atlanta, Georgia-

    Congratulations! You just graduated from Appalachian State with a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship. 

    You asked about how to get experience in real estate starting out and ways to save up for a downpayment on a duplex or tri-plex which you plan to house hack and rent the other units putting as little down as possible.

    I would look into getting your real estate license as you can help people with their deals, network, and make extra money on the weekends doing that which will help you with your downpayment.

    Look for an established local agent in your market who is open to bringing on a new agent and hopefully they have some investors in their mix of clients so you can learn, build up deal flow, and gain experience.

    Books to consider are Equity Happens: Building Lifelong Wealth with Real Estate by Robert Helms and two books by Bruce Kellogg Real Estate Investing Wisdom and Real Estate Creative Financing.

    To Your Success!

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1mo

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Check out the Georgia Real Estate Investors Association, gareia dot com, for local networking and education. 

    Good luck. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Devin LeBlanc:

    Hey everyone,

    I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I just graduated from Appalachian State with a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship, and I recently moved to Atlanta for work, quite a change of pace coming from the mountains!

    I’m looking for weekend work where I can get hands-on experience in real estate. I love being hands-on and I’m not afraid to take risks, so if anyone in the Atlanta area could use an extra set of hands, I’d love to help out.

    As for real estate itself, I’d love some book recommendations and other ways to build relevant skills. My plan is to start with house hacking and flipping, then move into long-term or short-term rentals. I’ve been looking into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to sharpen my construction skills, and I’m also considering electrical classes and similar hands-on training. I’d say I’m a go-getter, and I’d love to connect with anyone open to mentoring me, or anyone who could use some extra help and take a bit of work off their plate.

    My current goal is to save up for a down payment on a duplex or triplex. If you have any advice on the best way to get there, or any general tips for someone just starting out, I’d love to hear it!


    You're on the right track. House hacking is one of the best ways to get started, and getting hands-on experience through rehab projects or volunteering will pay off more than another dozen books. Keep analyzing deals every week and build relationships with local investors and contractors. If you're open to investing out of state down the road, Midwest markets like Ohio are worth watching for affordable duplexes, strong cash flow, and solid house-hack opportunities.
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo

    @Devin LeBlanc

    Welcome to BP!

    You are doing the right thing by going for experience before your first deal. I would try to network during the weekend with local investors, attend REIA meetings and learn how to analyze deals as well.

    Good luck!

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    1mo

    Hey @Devin LeBlanc! Welcome to the community, and congratulations on graduating! It sounds like you're taking the right approach by focusing on building experience before jumping into your first deal. Your willingness to put in the work and learn hands-on will serve you well.

    Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity and taking trade-related classes are both great ideas. I'd also recommend analyzing deals regularly, attending local REIA meetups, and networking with agents, contractors, and investors in Atlanta. Those relationships often lead to opportunities that you won't find online.

    House hacking is an excellent first strategy if you can make the numbers work. It allows you to gain experience as an owner while reducing your living expenses and building equity for your next investment.

    I'm a real estate agent based in Memphis and work with out-of-state investors building rental portfolios. Many investors start with a house hack before expanding into long-term rentals, and Memphis is a market that's worth considering when you're ready to grow beyond your first property. It offers affordable entry points, strong rental demand, and a solid investor community.

    Keep building your network and learning as much as you can. Your attitude and willingness to gain real-world experience will set you apart. If you ever want to learn more about investing in Memphis or expanding into out-of-state rentals, I'd be happy to connect and help however I can.

    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 4 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wachob:

      Hey @Devin LeBlanc! Welcome to the community, and congratulations on graduating! It sounds like you're taking the right approach by focusing on building experience before jumping into your first deal. Your willingness to put in the work and learn hands-on will serve you well.

      Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity and taking trade-related classes are both great ideas. I'd also recommend analyzing deals regularly, attending local REIA meetups, and networking with agents, contractors, and investors in Atlanta. Those relationships often lead to opportunities that you won't find online.

      House hacking is an excellent first strategy if you can make the numbers work. It allows you to gain experience as an owner while reducing your living expenses and building equity for your next investment.

      I'm a real estate agent based in Memphis and work with out-of-state investors building rental portfolios. Many investors start with a house hack before expanding into long-term rentals, and Memphis is a market that's worth considering when you're ready to grow beyond your first property. It offers affordable entry points, strong rental demand, and a solid investor community.

      Keep building your network and learning as much as you can. Your attitude and willingness to gain real-world experience will set you apart. If you ever want to learn more about investing in Memphis or expanding into out-of-state rentals, I'd be happy to connect and help however I can.


       Thank you for the input, I will make sure to look into the Memphis market. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Devin LeBlanc:

    Hey everyone,

    I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I just graduated from Appalachian State with a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship, and I recently moved to Atlanta for work, quite a change of pace coming from the mountains!

    I’m looking for weekend work where I can get hands-on experience in real estate. I love being hands-on and I’m not afraid to take risks, so if anyone in the Atlanta area could use an extra set of hands, I’d love to help out.

    As for real estate itself, I’d love some book recommendations and other ways to build relevant skills. My plan is to start with house hacking and flipping, then move into long-term or short-term rentals. I’ve been looking into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to sharpen my construction skills, and I’m also considering electrical classes and similar hands-on training. I’d say I’m a go-getter, and I’d love to connect with anyone open to mentoring me, or anyone who could use some extra help and take a bit of work off their plate.

    My current goal is to save up for a down payment on a duplex or triplex. If you have any advice on the best way to get there, or any general tips for someone just starting out, I’d love to hear it!

    Welcome to BP! It sounds like you're already approaching this the right way by focusing on building skills before jumping into your first deal. Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity is a great idea, and I'd also recommend trying to connect with local flippers or small contractors who could use help on weekends. Even if you're doing demo, painting, or cleanup at first, you'll learn a ton just by being around active projects. For books, I found The Book on Rental Property Investing and The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs really practical when I was getting started. One thing I'd add is to spend time underwriting deals every week, even if you're not ready to buy yet. The more properties you analyze, the faster you'll recognize a good deal when it comes along. Since you're planning to house hack, keep saving for that down payment while learning how to estimate repairs and run numbers confidently. That combination will put you ahead of a lot of people who only read books but never take action. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.