How do you pay yourself?

How do you pay yourself?

Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2014 · 164 posts · 51 votes

Alright BP I love business discussions and I have what I feel is a good question for you that popped in my head while listening to one of the podcast earlier that I want to get your take on.  How do you pay yourselves? Do most of you have a business account separate from your personal one? If you do, how do you calculate what to pay yourself? 

Do you take a set percentage from every flip? Do you not pay yourself unless needed and just pour it back into another property? If you are a buy/hold investor do you have a percentage from monthly cash-flow you take for yourself then leave the rest in your business?

I might have missed a podcast or article that hit this but I have never heard anyone in real estate hit on their opinion of this. I would guess that after a while if you treat this like any other business you have a set salary and that's what you pay yourself. What do you guys think and what have you guys done? Especially starting out? How did you do it?

2Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

@Bill Gulley is asking questions and trying to learn. There are a large variety of ways business owners pay themselves dependent on their personal situation. It seems to me that Gary just wanted to get a perspective of how people in the real estate world pay themselves (or when they pay themselves). 

He didn't insinuate that he was going to run his future business into the ground. You are also unfairly assuming he is financially illiterate which may or may not be the case but at least he has the courage to ask questions. 

You could have given him details about how you did it when you were starting out. Tell him how you paid yourself. If you reinvested everything into your business, tell him how you survived frugally. That would be much more meaningful and have a greater impact on his future rather than your lashing out as you have done which, by the way, helps absolutely no one.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 43 votes
    11y

    I live off my day job, and reinvest 100% of my profits in my business.

    For a while, I worked Two jobs, and banked the higher salaried one, while living off my teachers salary.  ( Very frugally)  And reinvesting all my monies.

    After a while- a long while, the $$$ started rolling in, so now, I quit teaching and work the day job, mostly for benefits, and have an even larger amount of money coming in.  

    With all my property's paid for, most all of the rents are pure profit-no mortgages to pay, and it makes it easy to buy 1 or 2 more a year for cash.   Call it the snowball effect.

    Don't get me wrong--it took a LONG time to get where I am at, but the results are well worth it.  Keep at it, and you all will be in a great place in your future.  I am investing everything I can in the future, 'cause that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life....

  • Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2014 · 164 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the response @Steve T. you are going about it in a smart way and you are doing great. Do you and have you always just done buy/hold investing?

  • Rental Property Investor · MA · Member since 2014 · 420 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford  in 2006-2009 I owned(Partnership) a growing company and we got around it by having monthly owner distributions.  Worked like a salary on paper but simplified the accounting for us.  When we sold the company it also made things cleaner because it didn't reflect employee salary rather profit taking.

  • Lender · Granite Bay, CA · Member since 2014 · 456 posts · 454 votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford 

    I have a C-Corporation and everything I do, from loaning money to others, to wholesaling, to flipping, to partnering etc..., is done with the corporation.  I also take title on all properties under the corporation.  I don't pay myself anything, but take out money whenever I need it.  I do this because you make the most money by "rolling" profits into the next deal and building wealth.  The idea here is not how much money you make, but how much money you save and invest and build for your future.  I have met some real players here in California who have made huge profits on deals, but they are also being stupid and spending like they are Trump.  I know one guy who made over a million in profit over about 2 years, but today is broke.  I have met others who make very small margins and they are near retirement and doing very well.  Investing is as much about the mindset, as it is the investment :-)

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I do buy and hold.  From the rent, I pay expenses, put money aside for reserves, then take the net cash flow out each month.  If there is something that hits the reserves hard, I will put aside taking cash flow and put it into reserves again to get that back up to a good level.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    It's a message board...

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Bill Gulley is asking questions and trying to learn. There are a large variety of ways business owners pay themselves dependent on their personal situation. It seems to me that Gary just wanted to get a perspective of how people in the real estate world pay themselves (or when they pay themselves). 

    He didn't insinuate that he was going to run his future business into the ground. You are also unfairly assuming he is financially illiterate which may or may not be the case but at least he has the courage to ask questions. 

    You could have given him details about how you did it when you were starting out. Tell him how you paid yourself. If you reinvested everything into your business, tell him how you survived frugally. That would be much more meaningful and have a greater impact on his future rather than your lashing out as you have done which, by the way, helps absolutely no one.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 74 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Gary Alford:

    Alright BP I love business discussions and I have what I feel is a good question for you that popped in my head while listening to one of the podcast earlier that I want to get your take on.  How do you pay yourselves? Do most of you have a business account separate from your personal one? If you do, how do you calculate what to pay yourself? 

    Do you take a set percentage from every flip? Do you not pay yourself unless needed and just pour it back into another property? If you are a buy/hold investor do you have a percentage from monthly cash-flow you take for yourself then leave the rest in your business?

    I might have missed a podcast or article that hit this but I have never heard anyone in real estate hit on their opinion of this. I would guess that after a while if you treat this like any other business you have a set salary and that's what you pay yourself. What do you guys think and what have you guys done? Especially starting out? How did you do it?

     You can pay yourself wages, but then you will be paying 7.82% on top of your wages as an employer for social security tax, medicare and unemployment. Or you can do a draw (take money from the business) and pay taxes at the end of the year. It also depends on your income and what type of Co you have set up. I'm not a CPA and would recommend to consult one. 

    If you have S-corp, you must pay yourself ''reasonable'' salary (where you pay 7.82% on top as an employer) and you can receive profits at the end of the fiscal year that are only subject to Federal and State tax (so you are saving on not paying SS tax and unemployment). I might be off in %

    If you're not an S-corp and regular LLC you can make draws and will be subject to the highest level of taxation. Please spend $200 and consult good CPA.

    When you Co grows big, you can become C-corp (for other reasons)

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford I use money made from RE commissions as personal funds/living expenses. Property management & investment profits are all re-invested.

    Fron time to time if there is a particular deal I really want to invest in but the normal business funds are not enough to do the deal I will use personal funds to fund it as im a RE junkie and cannot help myself. : )

  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2013 · 184 posts · 71 votes
    11y
    It's different for everybody. W2 can hit you hard, but so can the self-employment tax. Dividends and draws are great but any and all distributions have benefits and consequences. Ultimately, your well-vetted CPA will tell you what is best for your situation and why.
  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Bill G. Rude.
  • Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2014 · 164 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    I like the way you did that @Sean T. When I was forming one of my companies I have with two other partners we thought about doing it that way but decided not to.

    @Bill Gulley First off  I'm sorry but you sound like someones angry uncle lecturing kids. Only fools make assumptions like you have and not really understand the question or the person asking it. I have read your profile and for you to have done as much as you have and been around this long I am really disappointed. I should not have to tell you with you being so much older than me to ask if you do not fully understand the question. Had you done so I would have explained that I am nowhere near financially illiterate (I feel no need to type my resume but this is not my first rodeo) and told you that like @Brandon Hall  said I just wanted to see how people did it. I was interested in hearing peoples take on paying themselves if at all. When you look at the amount of money you can bring in even on a wholesale you have a lot of choices as to what you can do. I wasn't looking for a lesson just what you did? I'm pretty sure what you do is different than what someone else does. Some want to just roll it all back into properties and don't take any out for themselves. Then others in general business believe that you should never go with out paying yourself even if it's something minor. I was looking for the mindset of different investors on BP. 

    So please before you come posting if at all on my post (it is perfectly fine by me for you to keep scrolling) to go have a drink and not take your daily frustrations out on my thread. However, thanks anyway for the post. 

    @Dawn Anastasi Thanks for the post. That reserve you take out is smart, I believe that's what Brandon Turner was mentioning in his webinar tonight as CAPEX and it was a percentage.

    Brandon Hall thanks for your input. Some people do not understand that there is a way to deliver a message (even though unneeded). If I was some business newbie, that tone of belittling me could have done more damage than good but i guess if I couldn't take that I really should not be in business at all. As we know sometimes we do (and I have) take worst from clients/customers/sellers. Hopefully others actually do decide to chime in and give their view on the topic though. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford Let me tell you how I have always done it. I started off working in a comission enviorement prior to becoming self employed. That taught me a little about working with an adjustable income. So, what I did, was try my hardest to live off of my salary, and pay off debt or invest with my commission. This way our lifestyle didn't adjust up or down all the time depending on my commission amount per month. When I became self employed, I looked at it the same way. 

    At first I was became self employed I was literally living off of all of my profits to survive. However, within about 6 months I had begun to make more money than what was required to live. At that point I started re-investing 100% of all the profit I didn't absolutely need to live. After about a year, I had stashed up enough cash in the bank, and built a big enough business that I started to want to live on a predictable income again. So, I started paying myself a salary due on the 15th and 30th of every month. Now that salary was probably less than half of my profits, and I took the absolute least amount I could, so that I could continue to re-invest as much $$$ into my business as possible. In 3 years I was able to create a business that paid for my peanuts salary, but also bought 2 very cheap rental properties with my profits. 

    I was trying to re-invest everything back into the business, but I had 20k sitting in an account and thought, let's put that to better use, property. Then I did it again, and bought property 2. But the point is, I live on a minimal salary, and put everything else to work somewhere. Now there are tons a people on here smarter than I am about whether that should be an s-corp, c-corp, LLC, etc, etc. But I think what you where asking was how to live while being self employed in real estate, and that's what I tried to answer. I didn't live on percentages or profits, or anything else. I paid myself about $2500 a month (and I have 5 kids, if I can do it you can to), and re-invested 100% of everything else. Once in a while I would need a little more, and I would take it, but a dollar spent on salary is 2 dollars or more that you could have gotten back had it been invested. If you start asking yourself would I like 1 dollar today or 5 in 5 years, or 100 dollars today or 500 in 5 years, or an extra 10k this year, or an extra 100k in 5 years, you will probably say that today you are good, you don't need the extra. That's what you are giving up when you spend your profits on things that don't matter, when it could have been re-invested, 1, 5, 10, 100 times over in the next week, year, 5 years, etc. That's my advice. Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2008 · 143 posts · 105 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    [original quote edited]

    What's your problem?

    There is absolutely no excuse for your response, guy. Are you so high and mighty that you feel the need not to graciously say nothing at all? The opening poster was simply trying to gain a different perspective. That's nothing new. 

    One of my primary duties is instructing, and I have asked for many opinions on different subjects so I can share what other people do in the real world (good or bad) and not just my own practices.

    If you were smart, as you'd like to think you are, you would have simply not posted. But I see you have a lack of emotional control that turns you into a bully on the internet. 

    I'm really restraining myself like a decent human being because I could get really barbaric on you right now.

    ANYWAY... let me return to the ranks of the normal people and provide my opinion on this post.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2008 · 143 posts · 105 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Gary Alford:

    Alright BP I love business discussions and I have what I feel is a good question for you that popped in my head while listening to one of the podcast earlier that I want to get your take on.  How do you pay yourselves? Do most of you have a business account separate from your personal one? If you do, how do you calculate what to pay yourself? 

    Do you take a set percentage from every flip? Do you not pay yourself unless needed and just pour it back into another property? If you are a buy/hold investor do you have a percentage from monthly cash-flow you take for yourself then leave the rest in your business?

    I might have missed a podcast or article that hit this but I have never heard anyone in real estate hit on their opinion of this. I would guess that after a while if you treat this like any other business you have a set salary and that's what you pay yourself. What do you guys think and what have you guys done? Especially starting out? How did you do it?

    When I was managing a lease option back in '07-09, I saved all the rental income in a business account. I used every bit of it for reserves and paid myself nothing. 

    The only portion I spent was the non-refundable earnest money. I rented the place out about three times, so the earnest I received was close to $5,000-7,000 total for the three years + the additional money left over when I gave up the property. Not much but it was money I didn't have before.

    All in all, I'll always have my reserve built up before I even think about taking a draw or reinvesting.

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    I still have my day job, and I cover my living expenses with some of my W2 income. The rest, plus the net income from the rentals, goes back into the business.

    I think that cash reserves are way overrated. I have HELOCs, and any free cash is used to pay them down. Should anything major break, I just make a draw on the HELOC. This way I only pay interest when I use the money, not while it is sitting in my checking account waiting for a roof to leak...

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 76 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    [original quote edited]

    He's pretty much always like this. Bill is a combination of Uncle Rico - "When I was your age I could throw a football over that mountain." - and the old man that shakes his cane at kids to get them off of his lawn. The song "Glory Days" should be playing in your mind any time you read one of his posts or as he waxes on how successful he used to be. In other words take anything he says with a whole shaker of salt. 

  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    My plan is to pull out enough positive cashflow to cover the essentials below and save the rest to grow the business.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Gary Alford:

    Bill G. First off  I'm sorry but you sound like someones angry uncle lecturing kids. Only fools make assumptions like you have and not really understand the question or the person asking it. I have read your profile and for you to have done as much as you have and been around this long I am really disappointed. I should not have to tell you with you being so much older than me to ask if you do not fully understand the question. Had you done so I would have explained that I am nowhere near financially illiterate (I feel no need to type my resume but this is not my first rodeo) and told you that like @Brandon Hall  said I just wanted to see how people did it. I was interested in hearing peoples take on paying themselves if at all. When you look at the amount of money you can bring in even on a wholesale you have a lot of choices as to what you can do. I wasn't looking for a lesson just what you did? I'm pretty sure what you do is different than what someone else does. Some want to just roll it all back into properties and don't take any out for themselves. Then others in general business believe that you should never go with out paying yourself even if it's something minor. I was looking for the mindset of different investors on BP. 

    So please before you come posting if at all on my post (it is perfectly fine by me for you to keep scrolling) to go have a drink and not take your daily frustrations out on my thread. However, thanks anyway for the post. 

    Gary, in that case, please accept my apology, your question did not come across to me as asking methods as much as how can you, which then, as you know, you can't get blood out of a turnip, if it's not there, you don't get paid. So, to that, sorry for my miscommunication.

    In that case, let's look at it from the angle of "use of cash" your cash flow and the best opportunities available to you.

    We can't do that unless we know what the business is and how it's set up, you mentioned partners so that complicates things to some degree, your agreed split can be paid out as each desire.

    As to draws, SS taxes are due on compensation received, you'll have estimated taxes as well, if your company provides you with living quarters the value of that is taxable income. There is no "drawing" or "advance" that escapes taxable effects on payroll. See your tax advisor.

    If you want to avoid taking income, as I did in a few operations, look into golden parachute arrangements, but ultimately the tax man has his day from small operators (if you're not issuing stock as a C Corp).

    I tried the company car bit, there were advantages but I only had one vehicle held in that manner, not a fleet, and insurance was high so, I kicked that idea.

    Life and health insurance can be expensed, but it's still a taxable benefit.

    I set up one company with graduated administrative charges that were deemed to be earned and charged at future dates, this was a non-profit so the retained earnings were not taxable. Earned income was retained. I could borrow advances, as a loan and the loan was offset by earnings that accrued. This is a little different than the draws mentioned above and the corporation was funded. All of this brain damage really only avoided quarterly tax issues as we settled up annually for the most part, but an IRA was also used.....which I'm pulling on now.

    When I began and even after several years, I did my best to avoid paying SS self employment taxes, that was actually a mistake.

    Don't want to get off topic, but disability insurance is high, if you can even get it, for those in construction activities, general RE as well. SS is actually a very good deal when you consider all the benefits as matching those in the private sector just wouldn't be affordable for most starting out.   Disability is something most don't think of seriously, it's not just accident risks on a job, but also getting hit by a bus. If you get injured at 35, you could be collecting an annuity income for 50 years! I know the retirement side has changed, age to draw SS, I maxed out my contributions in later years for the max payment I get in my old age and I expect to collect it all. :)

    In RE and related activities, an owner's drawing is the simplest way, just take out what you need when you need it, if it's there. Setting up a salary schedule means accounting steps that aren't necessary for an owner, the company incurs an increased liability daily to accounts payable, it can become significant with partners.

    Another aspect of doing a salary, is that lenders may use the contracted salary level to qualify for loans rather than making their adjustment from owner's capital which could be higher. If you say that the company needs to retain X dollars for future operations, then the lender will accept that, so long as it's reasonable. Keep in mind too, that what you draw effects your borrowing abilities. Lenders like to see frugality more than extravagant life styles unless you can really afford it.

    If you borrow money that includes operations, don't live off of borrowed funds, eat noodles before you do, it's poor cash management and if you hit periods without income (and everyone does in RE starting off) you'll be digging yourself in a hole.

    When I was leaping tall buildings in a single bound, I took equity rather than pay with partners, in fact we all did. I was usually in the driver's seat and took a small admin fee to cover my expenses, say dinner meeting others or travel expenses.

    Another, and last comment, when dealing with partners your pay should be common for the type of contributions you bring to the table and be on the conservative side. If you do the management of properties, then you shouldn't be charging more than 10%, in fact, IMO, 6% might be better. When you have other people's money involved you have a fiduciary duty to protect their money as well as the funds of the company, think of yourself as an independent contractor performing duties for a company you don't own. If things get thin, and they can regardless of how big you are, partners will first look to what you took or are taking and bad vibes will result quickly if you're dipping too much out of the well. Instead of looking at what you can pull out, look at it as an owner wanting a good deal from an outside contractor, like an accounting firm, for what you might do.

    Amends! :)  

  • Rental Property Investor · Indialantic, FL · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford I'm glad you asked that question.  I, too, have often wondered how other investors compensate themselves, if at all.  

    I'm not a full time investor (yet), so we live off our day jobs.  Any income received from our investment properties go back into the business 100% to cover expenses and reinvest in future investment properties.  With that being said, we always set a little aside for our "in case sh_t happens" funds.

    Happy Investing!  :^) 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Gary Alford, the way I currently do not draw money as I live off my day earnings and reinvest.  However I set my loans on 15 year payouts so there is little cash left over, but I pay down very fast.  Instead of using saved cash to buy a new home I use the extra equity in an existing property.  That way my money doesn't lose by getting less than 1% interest in savings while paying 5% to a bank. 

        I recently sold my truck to my business, so I pay for license, insurance, repairs and fuel from the corporation.  I loaned the money to my Sub S Corp and so the money I make from that is not subject to self employment tax.  As a sub S I must pay taxes on profit whether I pull it out or not.  I had the Corporation buy the stock from the last partner.  Eventually I plan to start giving a share of stock a year to kids/grandkids so they have a stake in it and maybe pay them a salary if things keep going well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Here is how I do it but I am still small. I have two rental properties right now and I take the rent from both of these properties and save 50% for expenses. I then take the remaining 50%, pay the mortgage and whatever is left is what I have to pay myself with. I normally just save it along with the expenses though.

    Just to be clear: the mortgage is the principal and interest. I pay the taxes and insurance with the expense bucket.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Gary Alford when I first started, I kept all of the cash flow each month as living expenses. Then one day I realized "hey... if I reinvested that money, I'd be able to do a LOT more investing in the future!" So I started saving the cash flow instead. Today, I don't pay myself much of anything from the rentals or flips, but have been focused on paying off debt, improving the properties, and saving for future investments. 

    And thanks for the question! Although some folks can misread and get a little grumpy, this community exists to openly share and it is our heart to help you answer whatever question you might have. I think this was a great question and something people should talk about more! 

    Thanks, and thanks for coming to the webinar! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    This was a great question to pose. I'm actually going back to the W-2 world to get to my investment goals faster and when you work on commission you truly learn the value of living within your means and how much you can genuinely live off. 

    I love the idea of rolling everything back into investing, stacking and building. There's a lot of temptation to have glitz and glamour but I'm assuming the point of real estate wealth, is early retirement, a legacy and financial freedom (which to me are financial options). Build that net worth. I love the strategy of using HELOC.

    @Gary Alford 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    @Bill Gulley 

    not to be redundant but my take for me is. The financial situation im in having a few rentals and investment projects im rehabbing along with a W2. I divvy all funds by four. I/2 on self 1/2 on business.

    1/4 on bills and a 1/4 on making it between checks (transportation, food,...)

    1/4 saved for future investments and 1/4 to maintain the investments I have.

    I'm struggling but I see things are getting better and the more I do the more I have to do it with.

    And as previously mentioned I'm glad you posed this thread.

    Thanks and good luck to everyone on it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.