The END of the Suburbs?

The END of the Suburbs?

Rental Property Investor · Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 256 votes

With an eye to the future, should we really be buying in remote suburbs, or is that like investing in VHS rental shop in a digital age? I’m seeing what looks like a massive urbanization trend.

I am a buy and holder. Other people put their end of year profits and personal savings into 401k plans. My wife and I buy properties for the future. Putting aside the (highly important) factor of micro-environments for the purpose of this thread, we have been talking a lot about trends. Julie & I learned in 2008 the impact of macro trends. Before that we only thought locally, but seeing the how monetary policy shaped real estate and affected our personal bottom line the way it did, I'm raising my vision to keep an eye on larger forces. If and when the interest rates finally rise and inflation hits to correct market tampering, we'll find ourselves in a very different economic and real estate environment. I’m locking in as many long term low interest loans as I can. 

In the same way that I see a tidal wave of inflation, Julie and I have been watching a steady flow of wealthy people migrating to city cores. In the past 50+ years our poor lived in inner city ghettos and the wealthy escaped to their suburban McMansions. But we are personally experiencing an inversion. We invest in Seattle and I've watched neighborhoods go from hooker to hipster. In the bay area, where we live now, San Francisco rents and prices exploded, which overflowed into an Oakland renaissance. Where do the poor go? Further out to where they now can afford to live. It makes me wonder if the suburbs might just end up our new ghettos. I don't see large companies moving their HQs to suburbs as they did in the past, but rather closing their branches to centralize in major metros. Where the jobs go, people follow.

For the long term investor, where should we park our chips?

5Reply
358 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
11y

I guess it can be area dependent.

Here where I am the suburbs are alive and well. In fact growth is incredible and the areas keep getting better and better. Some people do not want to live in urban core......... : )

I like my privacy and peace and not feeling like I am in a footprint squished in like a sardine to fit. Some people enjoy the extreme hustle and bustle. I love serenity. If anything we have more crime here in the downtown cities close to Atlanta. That element couldn't afford in masses to live in the burbs here in nice areas. 

Maybe Cali is shifting like you say but I do not see a whole country phenomenon happening with that.

See this reply in the discussion

98 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Matt R. 

    AND PA doesn't tax retirement income!

    Another consideration for people who are retired

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeremy T. 

    according to Neigborhood Scout none of the top 10 schools in Pa. are within 300 miles of Pittsburgh.  Just saying must be a very long commute for you!

    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/schools/

     
  • Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2014 · 219 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    One thing to keep in mind that will help more rural location is the changes happening in the work place.

    1.  More full-time jobs are providing more work from home opportunities than ever before.  This trend will only continue because it minimizes the needed office space.  Co-work locations are helping out with this as well.

    2.  More and more of the workforce are becoming freelancers / independent contractors.  People in business for themselves.  This is going to soar over the next decade or two.  There is very little reason to work for a company when you can make more and be more flexible in controlling your life as a freelancer.

    One thing I think that will hurt suburbs is the reliance on the automobile.  Someone else stated earlier that more mixed-development is what people are seeking, so they can walk to a sandwich / coffee shop and socialize with others without having to tow a 3,000 lb vehicle with them wherever they go.

    Forward looking small communities that are on the edge of suburbs could really gain from this if planned correctly.  As real estate investors, we can help develop small communities that people want to live in.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    How this goes down in LA with the schools improving is it starts at kindergarden. So there is a built up base ready to roll once a batch of new kids are school aged. Then it ripples through one grade at a time. No one is experimenting with their kids that I know of. We are talking in areas where homes are a million plus.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    I have been saying this about Chicago for years.  Every soul sucking drive to the burbs to see my in-laws reveals more and more office buildings vacant.  

    I worked the past few years in the employment advertising space and I can't tell you how many companies in the burbs saw a decline in talent and either did or were considering moving offices to a downtown location.  It was not in every city but in ones with a CBD and transit options it was much more prevalent 

    There was this article in the WSJ last year about it

    http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304...

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Krulac:

    @Jeremy T. 

    according to Neigborhood Scout none of the top 10 schools in Pa. are within 300 miles of Pittsburgh.  Just saying must be a very long commute for you!

    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/schools/

    I'm skeptical of that information. Several school districts (including from the township I pay exorbitant taxes to) are not included in this data, because we use a "Pittsburgh, PA" mailing address (I presume). I know my district and the district to the south of me, Upper St. Clair, have a Pittsburgh address, but most certainly are not included in City of Pittsburgh schools (I can sense township residents gathering pitchforks and torches for even mentioning suchness).

    Three of the top 10 on this list are greater Pittsburgh schools.  I trust that data more anyway, based on ease of navigability alone.

  • Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 88 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    I really like this topic. I loved the book written by Leigh Gallagher, which I presume indicated the title but if not- I highly recommend reading it!

    I really believe a new urbanist movement is happening for many of the reasons noted in the book- smaller family sizes, couples opting to not have children, gasoline prices, costs of maintaining far flung infrastructure, etc. I dont believe this will be the case for EVERYONE or EVERYWHERE. Eventhough more and more often anyone can work from anywhere, I do believe more people are looking to interact, be involved, and be able to walk to places and such rather than being stuck our on some long country road. I, personally, can see the merits of that kind of quiet for a day or too but that is all I need. I dont want to go for a jog along a 55 mph road where there is no sidewalk.

    As they say, to each their own, but I do think this is a slow movement that is perhaps somewhat reversing the "flight" from decades ago in some instances.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y

    @Jen Kurtz 

    I have read that book.  I think the title is a little misleading and even the author pretty much admits that.  It is important to remember that suburbs have different qualities.  Some are very far off, built fully off the automobile and more exurban in nature.  Then there are close in so called "streetcar" suburbs that were initially built off trains and trolleys from the city center.  These suburbs tend to have real downtowns and some walkability and probably have much more in common with their associated cities than more exurban communities.  These streetcar suburbs have seen a real rise in their real estate at least here locally, because they are close to the city, have a transit connection to the city, but often have much better schools and more responsive local government in many cases.  Examples in Los Angeles are Culver City, Santa Monica, Pasadena, and South Pasadena.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeremy T. 

    I don't doubt that both Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair are excellent schools.  But there are over 500 school districts in Pa. and I've heard multiple people from the Western part of the state, the Eastern Part of the state and the Central part of the state all claim to have the number one school district in the state.  I even heard somebody from Erie say that their school district was the best in the state.  Obviously, not every body is number 1.  but I don't think that is bad, there are many excellent schools in the state, not every school but many.

    And since the OP spoke of the end of the suburbs, its interesting to note that of all the school districts taken over by the state for poor performance were city schools and none in the suburbs, How interesting! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y

    I have been hearing that technology will let everyone work from home my entire work career and that many people will ditch the city and work from a rural or exurban area.  With the web, why work in an office.  While this is true for some people, in many cases it is going the other way.  Yahoo made headlines about a year ago when their new CEO said to pretty much all remote employees that they either have to go to a Yahoo office or they were out of their job.  Many felt these employees were not nearly as productive as those interacting with people on a daily basis and were mostly disconnected from the Organization and just sucking up a paycheck for minimal overall productivity.

    In fact the trend hasn't really played out.  In the last 20 years more professionals have been moving into the cities than moving away.  I think most milennials feel that their social media and technology connectivity while important is no substitute for human interaction.  I see in my neighborhood a lot of people gathering in cafes working on their laptops.  Seems like they could work from a suburban home but are choosing not to.

  • Property Manager · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    I think this is a great topic.  It's probably one of the most important topics to discuss for real estate investors since it can guide us on what type of investment will take off.

    I wonder the effect of the current unrest in the lower income class is going to play out.  Of course I'm not sure but I wonder if we will follow Europe's lead. Europe has become much more socialist. I might be wrong but money isn't as important in Europe as it's in America and I think we will evolve to that mentality over the next 50 years.  Not sure of this since much of the reluctance to help is due to racial divide.  Not sure what it means for housing. If I had to guess, I would think that that there will be more demand for low income housing in the future. Even though low income salaries will be depressed for the lack of low skill level jobs (due to the export of manufacturing), I am guessing that government payouts are going to increase substantially. There are just too much unrest. eg Occupy Wall Street. I have a hunch that it's only going to grow.  I would take my money out of section 8 housing and put it into one tier above that.

    The flood of Hispanics might be huge.  Their percentage of the population is going to double while whites will decrease by a third over the next 30 years.  I wonder if this population shift is going to have an impact on the type of housing.  Can anyone chime in on the ethnic tendencies of Hispanics?  For example, I work in a heavy Russian population.  More so than others, they love bigger kitchens and bathrooms so I try to invest in them more.  For example, you can have a tiny backyard but make a big, nice kitchen and the house will sell for premium.

  • Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 88 posts · 42 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matt Mason:

    @Jen Kurtz 

     ..."Then there are close in so called "streetcar" suburbs that were initially built off trains and trolleys from the city center.  These suburbs tend to have real downtowns and some walkability and probably have much more in common with their associated cities than more exurban communities.  These streetcar suburbs have seen a real rise in their real estate at least here locally, because they are close to the city, have a transit connection to the city, but often have much better schools and more responsive local government in many cases..."."

    I absolutely agree with you Matt! The streetcar suburbs are my dream!

  • Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 88 posts · 42 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matt Mason:

    .." I think most milennials feel that their social media and technology connectivity while important is no substitute for human interaction.  I see in my neighborhood a lot of people gathering in cafes working on their laptops.  Seems like they could work from a suburban home but are choosing not to."

    100% that is me, I wish to work anywhere I choose, but I am not going to stay home all day. I will be out and about and connect with real people :)

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matt Mason:

    I have been hearing that technology will let everyone work from home my entire work career and that many people will ditch the city and work from a rural or exurban area.  With the web, why work in an office.  While this is true for some people, in many cases it is going the other way.  Yahoo made headlines about a year ago when their new CEO said to pretty much all remote employees that they either have to go to a Yahoo office or they were out of their job.  Many felt these employees were not nearly as productive as those interacting with people on a daily basis and were mostly disconnected from the Organization and just sucking up a paycheck for minimal overall productivity.

    In fact the trend hasn't really played out.  In the last 20 years more professionals have been moving into the cities than moving away.  I think most milennials feel that their social media and technology connectivity while important is no substitute for human interaction.  I see in my neighborhood a lot of people gathering in cafes working on their laptops.  Seems like they could work from a suburban home but are choosing not to.

     There was far, far more to the Yahoo story than that.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    One last caution on trying to base individual investment decisions on these sorts of macro trends:

    There are in fact people who are still making money manufacturing and selling buggy-whips.

    In other words, there will be money made everywhere.  You don't really want to select an investment property so marginal that events entirely outside of your control determine whether your investment is profitable or not.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Granted, I not sure those whips are being used to drive buggies.  But who knows, maybe someone will write a sort of next-generation 50 Shades of Grey and create a new demand for exurban McMansions.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    ROGER, Europe has demo challenges that we don't have. First, is that their immigrants typically have radically different religious beliefs as compared to the natives. Secondly, they don't have the united we stand divided we fall indoctrination for assimilation like we have here...it is way more divided culturally. It will continue to be a big issue.

    Hispanics generally have more traditional American family centered values that are inline with conservative democrats or moderate republicans. Many would argue they are much more inline with republicans socially and culturally. They are not looking to create massive desent like the immigrants Europe has. If they did we would be toast soon...

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 256 votes
    11y

    There have been so many good comments.

    Perhaps the trend is not so much explicit urbanization of large metros as the re-integration of real estate classes to creating localized communities? The goal being able to live, shop, work and play within a reasonable radius. @Matt Mason & @Jen Kurtz are totally right when they create a division between these enormous remote tracks of semi-dense housing isolated from community and other key infrastructure and "street-car suburbs". All being said though, from an appreciation and asset stability perspective, where do you expect to see the most return?

    When you talk about remote work freeing the individual from geography, that is somewhat true but not playing out in practice. I'm with @Matt Mason  I've been a 100% remote worker for over 14 years. I live by the beach and chose my location based upon lifestyle, community, (yup) schools, access to nature and other factors. It is an 1.5 hour drive from most large tech jobs. It was clear to me after 6.5 years of working alone that I CRAVE a social feedback loop. I just attended a talk by Nir Eyal (author of hooked) on Wednesday night where he listed "The FEAR of Missing Out" as one of the 6 primary human motivators. In fact, it seems that FOMO just was added to the oxford dictionary this year (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/am...). In 2008, I invested into one of the first co-working spaces. It created a social solution to a distributed workforce. Ironically, I build myself a office. As a real estate and business adventure, it was pretty cool and Nextspace just got listed as the #1coworking space in the US (http://www.symmetry50.com/blog/2014/9/11/the-top-7...). But in my eyes, it reinforces the social circumstances that are driving this urban reintigration.

    @Roger Doe When I look at demographic changes, the one which seems to stare me in the face is age.

    Thanks for bringing it back into focus @Richard C. . You are 100% correct. I always place micro first in my day-to-day investing. I just read a newsletter by the Real Estate Guys where they referenced the macro as a glacier. If you know it is there, it is fairly easy to plan for and avoid, as they commonly move slowly. That said, they are also massive and obliterate everything in their path changing the entire landscape. 

    @Brie Schmidt do you think this is more or less dramatic in geographies like the mid-west with more available land and lower density (than say LA)? Perhaps it is a naive view of large midwest metros, but when I visited the Twin cities last year on business, even city centers were more spaced.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:
    Originally posted by @Matt Mason:

    I have been hearing that technology will let everyone work from home my entire work career and that many people will ditch the city and work from a rural or exurban area.  With the web, why work in an office.  While this is true for some people, in many cases it is going the other way.  Yahoo made headlines about a year ago when their new CEO said to pretty much all remote employees that they either have to go to a Yahoo office or they were out of their job.  Many felt these employees were not nearly as productive as those interacting with people on a daily basis and were mostly disconnected from the Organization and just sucking up a paycheck for minimal overall productivity.

    In fact the trend hasn't really played out.  In the last 20 years more professionals have been moving into the cities than moving away.  I think most milennials feel that their social media and technology connectivity while important is no substitute for human interaction.  I see in my neighborhood a lot of people gathering in cafes working on their laptops.  Seems like they could work from a suburban home but are choosing not to.

     There was far, far more to the Yahoo story than that.

    Not really.  They did need to reduce their workforce some, but they could have saved more money by giving back some of their expensive CA office space and letting some of the office employees go.  Here is the article on the subject for everyone else to decide.

    Meyer remote employees

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Meyer needed to make a splash.  That made a splash.  And today, Yahoo has a high a percentage of its workforce working from home as ever.

    Go to the website of the largest health insurance company in the nation (United Health) and see how many of their jobs are telecommute.

  • Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2014 · 219 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    We are kind of talking apples and oranges.

    In an area like LA, I could understand moving downtown more than some "suburbs".

    In Minnesota, (near the Twin Cities), new condo projects are taking place downtown, but people with kids and some money still seem to want to live 30-45 minutes away from downtown and have a half acre lot and their own space.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Many Cities, small and large, in Canada have realised, or are in the process of realising, that the suburban sprawl of the past two generations is bankrupting them.   They cannot afford to provide and maintain the infrastructure to service these communities based on the {property} taxes they yield.   As a result, they are changing their municipal plans to encourage density: infill development, recapture of fallen neighbourhoods, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Suburbs will never die. Heck. now that more people are able to work from home and the cost of oil is coming way down, commuting isn't nearly as expensive. 

    There will always be those people that want to have a yard and some space and those people that like all the convenience of having everything they need within walking distance.

    I, for one, could never live in or even near the city. I can't even stand some of the ridiculously overpopulated suburbs here in Illinois.  The logic of it just makes no sense to me. 30 minutes to drive 5 miles? Where is the quality of life in that?

    4bdrm, 2bath homes with 2,000 sq ft and NO yard that sell for 600k? That just insults every sensibility I have. I don't care how good the schools are. Thats silliness.

    People who can move further out simply will. Its just common sense that you would want to lower your cost of living and have a better quality of life by moving further away from the city. Less crime. Lower taxes. Lower housing prices. Easier commuting in your day to day life.

    Outside being closer to a job, what other reason is there to be closer to the city? Sporting events? I can go without paying $200 a ticket to see a basketball or football game.  Restaurants? You can only make a hamburger so good. 

    So I don't see any way the suburbs will ever end. Far from it. During a recession I see people moving back because they need jobs. But when the economy starts going again, thats when people get tired of the nonsense and the economics of them and head out to the suburbs. Better quality of life.  

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    That's part of the mythos of the suburbs.   They have been studies demonstrating that suburban living is not automatically a healthier, better quality of life.   The stresses and loss of personal time to commuting has a rather negative impact on health and leisure.

    The lower taxes are part of the reason Cities can no longer afford to carry the suburbs surrounding them.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I've spent my fair share of time in cities such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, and LA over the past decades, and I have many friends that live or have lived in those cities...  so, allow me to have a little fun with this for a moment (as a guy from the 'burbs).............

    I may be completely wrong, but I call BS on the premise that the burbs are in decline and people are movin' to the city in any significant numbers.

    City people act like living in the city is "convenient".  Oh yeah, where is your GROCERY STORE?  Oh that's right, everyone in the city eats OUT every night.  (Just take the kids with you to Chez Josephine!)

    Most people who grew up in the suburbs also know the city, because we have to sometimes begrudgingly go INTO it to go to a government office =).  Many who live in the city have no idea what's in the burbs because they spend their entire lives in about 10 square blocks in the city because they have NO CAR because it costs $450 a month to rent a PARKING PLACE for a car. (And try getting 3 or 4 bags of groceries home without a car... fun times!  I've been on the subway with food bags - what a JOY!)

    And most people with children would rather lose an eye than have to live in a congested urban setting with their young ones and send them to the public schools there.

    In the city, you can get a few hundred sq. ft. for $150,000.  In the burbs, you can get an entire house for that. etc etc etc

    Unless all those factors (and many others) are changing at an alarming rate, I think this is an academic discussion that does almost nothing to inform us as real professionals.  A couple of studies aside, it seems unlikely that suburbs in any major metro are becoming less attractive to the many  people who prefer to live in suburbs and not a noisy, congested, urban setting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.