My Friend tells me he has $50k saved.

My Friend tells me he has $50k saved.

Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes

Hello, My name is Sebastian, a realtor in Pasadena, ca. I was having coffee with a long time high school friend. In conversation he said to me that he has managed to save $50k and asked me to advise him on what to do with it? 

He usually is a risk taker (so the threshold is pretty high), but he wants to be sensible and not lose it in his fist deal. He is open to flipping, buying rentals, JV investing etc... but each has pros and cons) We are in the LA market: so flipping with 50k is very difficult: (unless he does hard money on a purchase price that is really low somewhere far away from us: which brings other downfalls).

Rentals: he doesn't have experience (but has been reading a lot on it) and he is even ok buying rentals in other places like Nashville, Arizona, etc places where you can potentially buy for CASH for about 20k 30k to 50k) and rent it out. 

JV projects: he is open to them but there is a lot of shady people out there and he wants to know how to efficiently do his due diligence and not give his money to the first person that comes along (here or outside CA).

completing the picture: 

- he cannot invest 100% of it: bc he works on project commission base jobs (consultant for social media marketing)

- People do owe him money: and he will get about 20k more from it in March and April: 

- In addition he will save about $30k more by the summer (June) from wages after expenses. 

- Only debt: car payment (about 15k left on loan) and credit card debt ($6k) : other than that no debt. 

- 1099 : He is now earning at least $100k per year and fico over 750

***********

I know the advise I will give him, but I thought it would be fun to hear what you have to say about it! (and maybe other people in his position can learn from your answers also).

How would you advice him to move forward? What strategies can he take NOW to be a millionaire later? :) 

Thanks for the input 

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
9y

@Sebastian Marroquin I would encourage your friend to get on BP and have him get educated on real estate investment options. I would personally hesitate at getting a friend involved in real estate without them doing their own research and education. You don't want it to hurt your friendship. Have him join and tag him in this post.

Given your local market, I would recommend that he invests in an out of town market, but probably not a $20K cash deal though because that would be a C or D property. He would have nothing but problems. Still, he could afford a down payment on a single family or duplex in a smaller market.

It almost sounds like he owns his own business. Has he though about reinvesting it into his consulting business? That may be a faster path to becoming a millionaire. I know it is not real estate advice, but real estate is not the best path for everyone.

I don't know him, so it is hard to give the best answer. Just throwing out ideas. Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Marroquin I would encourage your friend to get on BP and have him get educated on real estate investment options. I would personally hesitate at getting a friend involved in real estate without them doing their own research and education. You don't want it to hurt your friendship. Have him join and tag him in this post.

    Given your local market, I would recommend that he invests in an out of town market, but probably not a $20K cash deal though because that would be a C or D property. He would have nothing but problems. Still, he could afford a down payment on a single family or duplex in a smaller market.

    It almost sounds like he owns his own business. Has he though about reinvesting it into his consulting business? That may be a faster path to becoming a millionaire. I know it is not real estate advice, but real estate is not the best path for everyone.

    I don't know him, so it is hard to give the best answer. Just throwing out ideas. Good luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    good points: 

    I know that he is investing into his business and as his personal consulting business grows, he is creating a fund for 1- Roth IRA 2- vacations 3- real estate investing

    His plan- is to grow his consulting business to 200k and 300k and 500k progressively but he also likes real estate and wants to own rental property. 

    His experience stems to working with me initially on flips. 

    But he has been a silent jv investor bc he doesn't have the min required capital to flip a home out here. 

    That's why I say his risk tolerance is high, bc when we did our first couple of flips, we all lost a portion of our investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Marroquin

    I agree with @Joe Splitrock.

    You can't really advise someone on how to get into real estate, they need to study up and determine what they want to do and are passionate about. If he isn't passionate about it, the best thing he can do is loan money to others (in town or out) that are.

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Brainard @Joe Splitrock

    ok guys. thank you and trust me: I get what you are saying and suggesting. :) but I am really not getting the intended responses for this question: 

    Lets say that I had $50k (extra money): and I am passionate about real estate and investing: and I wanted passive income. 

    What would be your advice/ suggestions then? Home hack? Buy and rent it out? Buy and do airB&B? buy here? buy outside of here? 

    What strategies should I use? what has worked for you? What hasn't ? what lessons did you learn?

    :) 

    Thank you kindly 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Marroquin If you buy something for $40K out of town it's probably not going to be turnkey or in the best area (keep $10K for reserves and the unknown). That means (even with a PM) he might have to be more "active" in the investment than he wants to be. A lot of people are looking for "passive" income but it still takes time, energy, and money to find the property. And even though he's a risk taker he's probably going to want to be prudent and check-in on his property from time to time. If you start to budget $2K (for round numbers) for a round-trip flight/car rental/hotel/etc. you can eat away (on a percentage basis) at the nest egg pretty quickly. If a $50K real estate investment slows his consulting business growth it's likely a bad ROI for him.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sebastian Marroquin:

    @Christopher Brainard @Joe Splitrock

    ok guys. thank you and trust me: I get what you are saying and suggesting. :) but I am really not getting the intended responses for this question: 

    Lets say that I had $50k (extra money): and I am passionate about real estate and investing: and I wanted passive income. 

    What would be your advice/ suggestions then? Home hack? Buy and rent it out? Buy and do airB&B? buy here? buy outside of here? 

    What strategies should I use? what has worked for you? What hasn't ? what lessons did you learn?

    :) 

    Thank you kindly 

     Buy and hold for me.

    - Buy right and get instant equity

    - Finance through the bank so I leverage my money

    - Finance over 30 years at low rate, so I pay back the loan in future dollars worth less

    - Monthly cash flow

    - Tax benefits

    - Appreciation so I sell in the future for a profit

  • Real Estate Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 45 votes
    9y
    Sebastian Marroquin Good Question. If I were your friend, I would not get too eager to purchase out of state. As an agent, I am sure you know the problems that can arise with a rental and how helpful it is that he be within driving distance. I see two options here: 1) Take $30k of that and put 15% down on a decent $200k SFR out in the Lancaster/Palmdale area. Strong rental market, lots of newer properties for cheap, drivable within an hour or so, etc. it won't cash flow him more than a couple hundred after PITI but he will be building equity and learning the ropes of rentals. 2) If he has been getting his 1099 income for two years, he could house hack here in the main part of the county with a low down loan (conventional, yes you can get really low down conventional even without MI, or FHA depending on the house, credit, etc). While he may not cashflow on this immediately, the future potential would be greater than option one. Hope this helps! Cheers! David
  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Joe Splitrock @Andrew Johnson

    Thank you: exactly what I wanted. Appreciate it.  (I was thinking the same thing: just needed a co-signer for confirmation) 

    I am also thinking of buying my first rental this year (2017). So this helps. 

    I am in real estate and growing a team now: so, need to allocate funds for expenses, more marketing and growing the team. (and part of me knows that like you said: i should aim at growing my real estate team to make more income and then leverage by buying rentals once that happens). We flip homes in LA county and help investors flip out here also so I have a good understanding in getting off market homes for a lot less than market value).  Thank you for your thoughts: they do bring me a different way of looking at things. Thanks 

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 670 posts · 352 votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Marroquin In response to your question on having $50K and wanting passive income. If your friend is open to a quality return without actually owning property a syndication may be a nice option. Both investments have their pros and cons obviously so it depends on your friends investment goals. This may be a nice opportunity to raise additional capital while he focuses on building out his consulting business and not having to worry about owning property and some of the management of real estate. Again, depends on his investing strategy. If he were to invest in a syndicate I would search for the following:

    1. Transparency

    2. No fees

    3. Investors paid first

    4. Funds free to withdraw at any time

    5. Managers paid on the performance of the investment

    6. Diversification of investment

    I am a firm believer in buy and hold real estate and own this type of investment myself, but also wanted to add an option to the list. I invest in a syndicate that provides all of the above listed. As a side note, your friend can self direct his IRA and invest in real estate with that money as well.

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Wallenius thanks: what are typical returns for syndications? 

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 670 posts · 352 votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Marroquin 8-15% returns, just make sure you know what your investment dollars are actually invested in. Ask about multiple exit strategies, risk analysis, do managers invest their own capital, etc. 

  • Cornelius, NC · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    I'd pay off that credit card.  ;)

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Glenn R. thats what I told him ;) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.