What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,375 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Union City, CA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    I have an Associates degree in medical assisting. It's sad to say that I was in high debt for this degree but I can't keep beating myself for it. I graduated in 2001 and continued to be in the healthcare field until now. 16 years later, after several times in attempting to get my BS degree, after having 3 children, I did not finish. Priorities have changed and thankfully, I was introduced to Real Estate Investing. It was like "love at first sight." I finally found a career that I wanted to stick with and actually had passion for. The field that I've been in for the last 16 years has helped me understand people from every walk of life. Having discerned the good ones from the bad ones and learning how to deal with the bad ones. Training others played a big role in my field. I see all of this as great experience and leverage to be successful in my Real Estate business as a great landlord. I need 20 units making at least $200 cash flow each unit to equal what I'm making now at my day job. Planning to quit my 9-5 when this happens. I'm currently fixing my finances and absorbing the education. It has already been a heck of a ride for me doing this but I know it'll be worth it. Once I build momentum, my BP family would be the first to know about my success stories. Wishing you all success!
  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    BS in Physical Education with Concentration in Corporate Fitness. What a b******t degree huh. Knowing what I know now, I would not of wasted money on that degree. Oh well, no reason to dwell on that! 

  • Investor · Lake oswego, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Mike Flatow 

    I received a BS in Economics as well and a minor in Real estate development. I have decided that I learned more useful/practical things in my 5-10 Real estate classes than in all of the 4 years studying economics... lol 

  • Construction/ Investor · Santa Maria, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Hi Scott Graham , I have a BS from Cal Poly, SLO in Ag-Business, finance and appraisal. I farmed for 20 years. Sold my business and started investing in real estate, startups and a construction/development company. I love analyzing deals and solving problems.
  • Rental Property Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2016 · 151 posts · 63 votes
    9y
    Bachelor of Arts, Economics - Pepperdine University. Let's go Waves!!!
  • Kalispell, MT · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    MS in Supply Chain Management, BS in Management and Marketing. Both from Florida State University, Go Noles!

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    BS in Operations Information Management(Supply Chain) IT Secondary. 

    Although not Real Estate related, the organizational need and data analysis has come in handy when looking into the unknown.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Interesting thread! It shows that anyone can do this with enough desire and motivation.

    Bachelor of Architecture was my degree from K-State.  The degree and associated work experience has given me a really good understanding of the construction process, pricing, working with subcontractors and developers, project management etc. that directly apply to this side career.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    BS in Computer Information Systems but work in Finance. I can work my way around a spreadsheet and databases but the most helpful my degree has been to me was landing me in real estate companies that ended up catching my interest in REI.

  • Rental Property Investor · Klamath Falls, OR · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 213 votes
    9y

    BA in International Studies/Business at Willamette University - The best thing about college for me was that it was paid for (all scholarships) and I entered with a lot of credits from High School so my degree took 3 years and I spent the other year travelling and studying across Europe and South America. It really broadened my perspective on life and what was really possible. After a brief stint as a manager at Macys I moved on to Ebay and Amazon Sales. I ship worldwide and report a good enough income on taxes to back investing. Now I'm increasing my investing (10 doors currently) and soaking up information as fast as possible. I will eventually own properties in some of the amazing places I visited in school and walk away from online sales.

    Formal education offered me a springboard to learn how to think outside the box. If I had never travelled (paid for by my scholarships) my world-view likely wouldn't have changed. Sometimes going to college is good because it teaches you what you don't want to do with your like (9-5 job, working at 4 am on Black Friday...). Cheers!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hey everyone.  This is my first post-exciting!  I have a BS in Environmental Science.  I currently work as an Environmental Specilaist with a local government in San Diego.  Although my degree really has nothing to do with real estate, I'm hoping to use a portion of my future cash flow/appreciation/profits to pursue some of my non-profit ambitions.

    Glad to be here!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Scott Graham fun Q and fun to see various paths to REI.

    B.A. (small liberal arts school) in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology + pre-medical curriculum. Wish I'd studied economics/business. @Kuba F. school of hard knocks (and good running shoes haha) is my current education. 

  • Toms River, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    B.S. in Mathematics (stats concentration) with a minor in Business. Graduated from Monmouth University in 2014.
  • Real Estate Broker · Champaign, IL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Associates in Business Administration & Bachelors in Finance...I guess they're kind of relevant? :P 

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    BA Biology, graduate work in International Relations and Information Systems Management

  • Lender · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y
    Bachelors in Finance and Economics and a MBA. I've worked in commercial real estate lending for 10+ years since college which has definitely helped to give me a passion for real estate investing.
  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Truck Technician diploma

    Bachelor of science, Mechanical Engineering

    Working on MBA

  • Investor · Conifer, CO · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    horticulture science. Running a large commercial landscape company has taught me a lot about business and investing. I am also a huge reader and have read a ton if books about real estate investment. As Warren Buffet says, invest in something you understand and I can wrap my head around real estate much more then stocks

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Hi! 

    I have a bachelors degree in ecology, and realistically I don't use it in my daily life. I got my cosmetology license after university and have been doing hair for 4 years. I love my job. It's fun, fulfilling, and I make good money. It's not a prestigious title but I don't need that. I wish I would have started my career doing hair earlier, and thus would have been in the position to start real estate investing earlier. I think everything I've learned thus far about business and money has been through self-teaching, books, podcasts, life experience, etc. 

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Great question Scott. I have a BA in Psychology, and right out of college went into a full time position working with an alarm company. I've worked there for about 2 years now, and it's great. My degree doesn't have much to do with my job, but I think getting the degree taught me to work and study hard. Because of it, I know the time and effort it takes to learn a new skill and I am grateful for it. It allows me to have patience now that I am trying to get into Real Estate. Thank you, Michael
  • Ahoskie, NC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    So I do  not have any type of degree!! During my High school time i never could comprehend a lot of subjects that I felt would help me. My life took me in another direction and I am glad and blessed for it. I only wish the things I now know I could have had mentors or partners to help me sooner. I appreciate all that you guys do here on bigger pockets. I have a greater financial understanding and looking to retire early with my young wife and kids! 

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    9y
    My various levels of education in the US and Europe have not helped one bit. On the contrary. It has held me back from getting into or successful at REI. It has done a bad job in leaving young people alone in finding a job instead of teaching how to create them or how to make money - thus creating too many dependencies instead of empowerment. The educational system fails to this date to teach us the many more important things needed in life to build a foundation of sustainable income, wealth and security for oneself or others. Thus the dangerous instability in the world today. I always knew there had to be a better life other than reading books whose content or concepts wouldn't interest me nor play to my talents. The educational system still doesn't care to find or nurture the genius inside us. The Industrial Age is long gone, we're even surpassing the so called Information Age. It's time for a revolution. Ever since I got my hands on Kiyosaki's "Cashflow Quadrant" I knew my new future. And to take my life's experience a step further, I am not promoting my children to waste their time trying to reach useless and (bad) debt creating degrees in higher levels of education that are truly only relevant for a small percentage of the population. My son is sixteen and has been studying bigger pockets and all the books for two years now. School is legally mandatory here until tenth grade. He can't wait to stop spending time in school to get active in real estate full time. No doubt, I will be proud to have helped the first generation of my family out of dependency, poverty and middle class mediocrity.
  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    B.S. in Accounting & Marketing from Boston College.  

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Business administration... didn't end up helping me that much though.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    I chose to join the Air Force out of high school.  The 21 years of aircraft maintenance opened my eyes to the value of an aggressive maintenance plan that enables 50 plus year old aircraft like the B-52s, C-130s, and the various -135s to remain in service.  Suffice it to say, there are a lot of similarities with rehabbing and maintaining buildings.  The final five years were spent teaching leadership and management classes to my peers; counterparts in the US Navy, US Army, and US Coast Guard; and one student from Singapore (we had a lot of fun with him in our class).   Those five years revealed the big differences between systematized education and true learning.

    @Ken Breeze, I share your thoughts wholeheartedly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.