What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,366 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Speech-Language Pathologist · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Speech-Language Pathologist

  • Investor · Camp Hill, PA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y
    My bachelors is in psychology and my masters is in social work.
  • Rental Property Investor · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 43 votes
    9y
    Bachelors in accounting and masters in MIS. Accounting helps me keep my own books which is very useful.
  • Real Estate Broker · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    B.S. in agribusiness from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, minored in political science. Had the honor of serving as the student body president while there too! Currently a financial analyst for the Real Estate Industries Group at Rabobank in Arroyo Grande, CA. I'm loving life on the Central Coast and am beginning to wholesale and planning to BRRRR in the near future. Best of luck all!

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 46 votes
    9y
    Hi Scott. My BA is in Religious Studies, but I also have a Professional Certificate from MSU in Boadcast Meteorology. I feel like I have a minor in business but strictly by experience. We have a 25 percent ownership in a restaurant. Have a great weekend.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    9y

    Mechanical Engineering with an MBA.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo! Was one of the best options I had to have a high income coming out of college to start investing as soon as possible.

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    9y
    Clemson University BS degree in Forest Management Over 20 years experience in the Forest Products industry.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 433 posts · 103 votes
    9y
    Psychology with an emphasis in biology. Then there's my PharmD
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    I went to SHK University and graduated with a  Degree In Real Estate

    Lol that is School of Hard Knocks

    My goal was to get an MBA the traditional way but when you quit college to pursue a crazy idea of being an entrepreneur it is hard to get a MBA from college. 

    Took to the age of almost 38 to get an MBA - Mega Bank Account never got a traditional MBA. 

    I wish now looking back that I had finished college followed the traditional path and then pursued my entrepreneurship dreams.  

    When I talk to a lot of my friends that went the traditional route they tell me even thought I went through some very rough years The School Of Hard Knocks paid for me. Yes financially but to this day I wish I had made some different choice early on. 

    In terms of Net Worth and cash flow my approach worked. Not sure I would want to advice someone to repeat that approach. I think getting a college degree and then get a job and then start real estate on the side makes like a lot easier. 

    The only problem is then you get a job and a sense of security. In my case I had to succeed because  I had no other backup plan. Failing was just not an option. 

    Success is a journey and not a destination. As long as your growing and moving forward each year in the right direction then you are successful. 

    So I would have just done it a little different but I don't regret my choices just that there was a way that could have been easier. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwick, PA · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Great Topic!

    BS Kinesiology Movement Science, Penn State University. 

    Like many mentioned above, my education really took off post graduation when I started actively observing others in my field, attending seminars, certifications, and actively participating in Mastermind Groups. My 'business education' was formed through these avenues, and it's really where my interest in Real Estate was sparked. 

    I used my degree in Kines for about 15 years as a Personal Trainer, Club Operator, and eventually Business Owner. 

  • Investor · Bonifay, FL · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    I have a B.S. in Aeronautical Science. Fancy way of saying I'm a pilot. I don't know that the degree itself gives any advantage, but experience in the aviation industry certainly helps under pressure. When it's time to make a decision I analyze the situation and move forward. Its usually the 90% solution, but beats making no decision and remaining on the sideline!
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I got a bachelors at UW-Stout. Teaching degree in Industrial Technology. I learned a few things I guess, but the mind set and application is completely different. I learned most from books and school of life.

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    9y
    I should mention I have been selling peanuts (yes, really) in large volumes since 2010. My experience in exports and speaking other languages carried over from my forestry work into peanuts. 🥜 🌲 🏡
  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    9y

    I have a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan and a Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Oakland University. 

    M.E. definitely trains you to be a pragmatic thinker and problem solver under pressure, so it really comes in handy a lot. 

    Also, Engineering is all about numbers and thinking objective, so timelines, budgets and negotiations come easy to me due to my degrees. 

    Very helpful. 

    Shawn

  • Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    i have a BS in Construction Management from Texas A&M.

    The years of experience in renovations and cost estimating is what helps me.

  • West Long Branch, NJ · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    I graduated in 2007 with a bachelor's degree accounting and graduated with a master degree in 2010 with a master's degree in taxation. to be honest my tri experience came from being hands on in my family hvac business which really opened my eyes in how investing in real estate can bring real wealth and control. I deal with clients that are developers and landlords and you learn a lot in bringing value to properties. I mostly deal with commercial but the mindset is the same as residential. as some preview comments when you have a degree that deals with money you learn how to change your approach in how to invest and the 8th wonder compounding interest. great topic and good luck everyone
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Associates Degree in Medical Electronics

    Bachelor's Degree - Magna Cum Laude - Business Administration.

    Post-Doctoral studies in the American Institute of Hard Knocks.

    It's only the latter that has helped me to launch my real estate business.

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes
    9y

    BS Chemistry 

    MS Chemistry 

    Neither of which help real estate except to give me a stable well paying base salary and W2 with which I fund my deals. 

    I m am about to enroll in Real estate school to become an agent and start working at it nights and weekends. This pursuit will most likely launch me closer to my goal. 

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Scott Graham

    It looks like I am late to the party but here goes. 

    I have an Associates of Applied Science with a major of Computer Information Systems from Kansas City Kansas Community College. I also have an Associates in General Studies from Kansas City Kansas Community College

    I have a Bachelor of Science with a major in Technical Management with a "technical specialty" of networking communications from Devry University. It was one of those degree completion programs for people who had associates degrees.

    By the way, I worked in the telecom industry for 3 years until I faced a devastating layoff from AT&T during the recession. 

    At that point I gave up on my field of study and chose to work in law enforcement. I have been a Correctional Officer at a state prison, a Deputy Sheriff, a Correctional Officer at a federal prison, a Border Patrol Agent, and now I am Federal Agent for the Department of Homeland Security. I have not worked in my field of study for 10 years.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    An undergrad in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management from Florida State and a Master's in Real Estate from Baruch College (City University of New York). During my MS, I interned with a pretty large ($3B+ in assets) real estate investment company in the mortgage brokerage department.
  • Investor · Conesus, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the vote @ScottGraham!

  • Developer · Winchester, VA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Finance
  • Real Estate Agent · Mankato, MN · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    BA Biochemistry Minor Forensic Science MBA
  • Rich V.Pro Member
    Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 81 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    I got my BS & MS in Accounting, got my CPA while still in my Graduate program and started with a Big 4 accounting firm when I graduated. While the work I actually do may not translate too well over to Real Estate (not all CPAs are Tax experts!), I think my degree and experience has certainly given me a leg up when it comes to Real Estate Investing.

    When I read the RE investing books, the bulk of the general business information (business structure, bookkeeping, investment vehicles) that is discussed is all second nature to me.

    Definitely think the path I chose is super beneficial - Learning how to build financial models, project cash flows and value investments is 1000% valuable. The only thing better would have been a tax specialization!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.