Fort Hood Area Investor Meetup

82 Replies

Low turnout tonight. Is everyone still good with bi-monthly or do we want to extend it to once a month? Maybe a change of pace with a new venue? Begin to put a real emphasis on education? All feedback is welcome. 

I just found this thread. I would love to attend your next meeting, but I don't see when that will be. I'm about to close on my 3rd property in the area.

Good evening everyone. I wanted to drop some thoughts concerning tonight's meetup. 

This was a bit of a change as we broke from what was becoming our usual spot at Billy Bob's. I'm interested in hearing everyone's feedback on this. We met this evening at the Barrow Brewing Company and it was a good time and a great environment. Some observations: We had several new attendees, but we were also missing some familiar faces. Is Salado too far out of the way? All your thoughts and feedback and welcome. 

Also, in the spirit of providing some structure and making this a place of real education, I spoke with a lender I work with regularly and he agreed to allow us to use his facility. He has a modern conference room with a projector to allow for a brief presentation by a real estate professional that can give a quick (15 min or so) class on a topic that would be beneficial to real estate investors. This has become a drinking club with an investing problem and while that's great for networking, I feel things are a bit out of balance when considering the educational aspect. Currently I'm considering making a rotating schedule of sorts where we alternate between using this facility for education and another venue for more of the social/networking side of things. Again, I welcome all your thoughts on this. 

Thanks again to everyone who attended and if you missed us, we hope to see you again at the next meeting in a couple of weeks. 

Originally posted by @Cameron Davis :

Is there a Meetup group, or some way I can get notifications so I know when/where the next one is? Barrow works for me.

Cameron, we are organizing a bit on the Slack app but I got in trouble with the BP folks when I posted anything about contacting one another outside of the BP forums previously. Reach out to me in a private message and I'll share the info with you. 

That invite is open to anyone, by the way! :D 

Originally posted by @Victor Rosario :

Seeking the next meet date and time, any information would be much appreciated. 

The next meeting will be next Friday. We are on a two week cycle. There may be some changes in the venue and style as we work to move the group forward. See my previous messages on here about how I feel we are currently out of balance and need to inject some more education into the group. I plan to update the thread in a the next day or so with additional information. 

In the interim, I'd like everyone's thoughts on the formation of a Facebook group for the meetup. Maybe call it the Fort Hood Area Investor Club? It was an idea that a fellow attendee brought up as a way to become better organized. I welcome everyone's thoughts on the matter. Thanks for your patience as we work to move this meetup forward for the mutual benefit of all the attendees. 

Aloha everyone! My partner and I are moving to Killeen this summer and hoping to get serious about our REI goals while we're there. I was so pleased to see this thread and that a meetup group has been formed. We won't be there physically until later this year, but hopefully this thread will keep me in the loop on the formation of a facebook group or any virtual meetup! :)

Welcome Kamaile,

We have a sold group of people in the group, that loves to talk about doing deals and helping others. What type of investing are you looking to get into in the Killeen Market? And feel free to ask away if you have any questions.  

Talk to you soon,

Michael

@Kamaile Maldonado

Hi @Michael Mullins ! Sounds like exactly what we're looking for!  We have some experience with real estate, but this will be our first intentional investment and we're still learning and considering what will work best for us.  I'm thinking a duplex would be great to start with a househack.  I would like to start with small multi-families and grow from there, but we are open to single families as well.  We are hoping to buy/hold a few units for a while at least.  But we're really open, strategy-wise.  We have started receiving listing feeds, so it would be great if you had any feedback on neighborhoods to watch and to avoid?

Sounds like a good plan to get where you want to be. Killeen like most cities is hit or miss. I would stay south of the main highway. But also look at the other cities near Killeen. Harker Heights, Belton, Temple, and Copperas Cove.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you