• Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
I escaped my J.O.B. with Real Estate!

Dave Poeppelmeier
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Posted Dec 3 2020, 12:10

I cannot believe the day is almost here. Tomorrow, December 5th, I will retire after 20 years as a Physical Therapist. Most people would say "I can't believe you're just leaving that career!" Yes, I received a B.S. in Physical Therapy in 2000 (it's now 8 years and a Doctorate to be a PT... noooo way) that I worked extremely hard for. But, I have wanted to get out of PT and being an employee for over 13 years after being jerked around by employers, reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, and working with a MLM company that taught me an unbelievable amount about how to be an Entrepreneur. My wife and I bought our first rental in 2013 with money out of my 401k, penalties and all, and haven't looked back since. My wife became a Realtor 5 years ago simply to allow us to go see houses whenever we wanted to, and is now making way more than she was as a teacher with a Master's Degree (that we were paying for student loans on for well after she stopped teaching). I got my own Real Estate License this past May, and along with the 17 SFH we have (and growing) here in Toledo, we finally have enough income coming in through our sales/rental as well as the income I will make in working with our Property Management to allow me to walk away from the crap-show that is Health Care.

I'm sharing this not to gloat, but to show people that it is possible to get out of your job. I would love to say that with the income a PT makes, we were able to just go out and put full 25% down payments on everything and it was easy. It was not. A lot of crap hit the fan for us personally along the way. The Law of Attraction is real, and if you keep your goals in front of you, and keep thinking about it, it will happen. So if you hate your job, and are trying to figure out how to get that next house or duplex, keep working on it. It may not work every time, but it's going to work. It will keep building on itself, and before you know it deals WILL start coming to you because people know you are an honorable, hard working Investor. Good luck!

Loading replies...