Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Banas
  • Real Estate Investor/Agent
  • Brick, NJ
Votes |
Bank's unethical techniques - what to do?

Tomasz Banas
  • Real Estate Investor/Agent
  • Brick, NJ
Posted Mar 11 2017, 18:37
I got one condo under contract (buy & hold). After receiving the condo questionnaire I found this condo is a non-warrantable. I was able to find a local bank by searching for properties that closed in the same complex in last 12 months and owner's address is different than the property's address (most likely an investor). By filtering it down this way I looked who financed it and Voila! First, I provided them a condo questionnaire to make sure they are 100% ok with the condition of the complex. They confirmed it's ok. During the process I was informed that the president of the bank (its a small bank with 7 locations) is interested in a long term relationship and would appreciate if I bank with them and not just get a loan. I said I will be happy to consider but I am not ready to move my banking as I don't like to get pregnant at the first date. They did not have a problem with that. On Friday, I received an email: "The President has the Loan Underwriting on his desk. He wants to know if you will move over your business account to the Bank if he approves the loan." I did not change my position and reminded them what we talked about 2-3x. I said I will be happy to open savings account for security deposit and checking account for that property. Here's the reply I received: "Oh yeah, I remember! But here’s the thing, the President will not approve your loan unless you bring your business account over in addition to those other accounts." I was extremely surprised and sent them a long response regarding their technique. 3h later I received an email directly from the president: "I am not interested in doing the loan unless I know that I will have a deposit banking relationship that is satisfactory and acceptable. The bank has slowed down its lending in the market as to this product and is considering the requests based on the value of the deposit relationship. At this point, I thank you for considering our bank, but we will pass on this commercial mortgage opportunity." How can they go through the whole process including a verification of my financial information and come up with something like this right before providing a mortgage commitment? I am obligated to provide a mortgage commitment by 3/15. If not, I'm going to lose this deal. Seller has multiple cash offers $10k higher than my approved offer. Please help! Thank you in advance!

Loading replies...