Votes
Leslie Richardson
Pro Member
Votes |
What to do with MY HELOC

Leslie Richardson
Pro Member
Posted May 31 2023, 13:37

Primary resident has a HELOC, bank has frozen the HELCO Im paying it down, and I have never been behind on it, all bills paid on time, but debt of CC are maxed. Have almost 400k in equity dont really want to refi into more debt, paying down debt now on CC. Need to know if I should hold off on rolling in to a refi for FHA loan which will consolidate debt, but cut into my equity and put us into more debt. Please advise, open for suggestions.

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied May 31 2023, 19:25

@Leslie Richardson keep in mind you don't have to put debt on your equity position. I don't know what your numbers look like, but if you have $400k in equity, you don't have to take out a loan on it. You can just refi what you actually owe plus the HELOC.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Richardson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 1 2023, 15:47

Thank you for the response. I only owe about 450k total. This is the total debt.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Jun 9 2023, 07:40

Not quite understanding. You have a first of how much? Balance on HELOC? Your income is W-2 of how much? Value of house?

A HELOC note says in the legalese that they can close it at any time. They can also re-open it if the value stabilizes or something that they saw negative can be over turned.

You are looking for new 2nd position HELOC to pay off the one you have? HELOC has to be second position as the title work they use relies on the title company for the first.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 9 2023, 07:48

Have you considered selling and investing in a syndication or a gas and mineral rights royalty fund? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2023, 16:44
Quote from @Dylan Speer:

Have you considered selling and investing in a syndication or a gas and mineral rights royalty fund? 

what sort of mineral rights funds are you referring to?

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 5 2023, 08:22
Quote from @Chase Puckett:
Quote from @Dylan Speer:

what sort of mineral rights funds are you referring to?

Well I work at a real estate investment advisory firm that specializes in helping clients invest in DSTs and Reg-D's. Mineral rights funds fall under Reg D's. Shoot me a message, I'm happy to discuss how mineral rights funds work/what they are/who syndicates them.