Cashing out 401k loan

Cashing out 401k loan

Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Has anyone cashed out their 401k?  You would have to pay a 10% penalty plus you pay federal/state taxes.  Any comments is it too risky or risky not to do it?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

To learn more about the 401k loan rules, see the following:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-loans

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Gary Kane

    Nice analysis. To learn more about the mandatory 20% federal tax withholding which applies to distributions from 401k plans but not IRA distributions, see the following.

    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-particip...

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 161 posts · 134 votes
    9y

    I see this is a very old post but for what its worth....

    @Lane Kawaoka, I agree with @Charlie DiLisio and have accepted millions from investors in our syndication through self directed IRAs. I haven't personally done it, but I find many investors, especially those who are corporate employees or retired, are doing it this way. Although, like @Scott Dixon, I did borrow money from my former 401K as a down payment for my first multifamily property. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Macedon, NY · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    Can you roll over a 401K into a self directed IRA without leaving the company you are currently employed by?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Paul Bowers:

    Can you roll over a 401K into a self directed IRA without leaving the company you are currently employed by?

     If your plan allows it.  But they almost never do.

  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Paul Bowers

    I agree with @Jon Holdman, however some plans will allow for a partial rollover of 50% or less of your 401(k). I recommend you speak to your plan administrator or HR person, they will be able to provide you with the answer. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.