• Sevierville TN
Votes |
What to do with my 401K?

Derek Tellier
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sevierville TN
Posted Aug 5 2018, 10:22

My situation is that I'm 45 years old and I have a 401K with my current employer. They match 100% up to 3% then 50% up to 5%. 

So I contribute 5% and get 4%, immediately vested. 

I've been contributing this for about 13 years. I've got a balance of about $135K and I still contribute my 5% each week. I'm putting in about $4K/year getting another $3100 from the company. Nothing groundbreaking and that leads me to my situation. 

I'm now about to get into REI and trying to figure out the best plans for this $. I don't intend to leave this employer real soon but I do plan to be able to leave the job in 3-5 years.
I know I'm being optimistic that I can go from zero REI experience to financial freedom in 3-5 years, but I'm not saying I'll be sitting on a beach in that timeline, I know I'll be working, just want to be working on my own wealth and business/investments rather than someone elses. 

Other than the Hardship options I can't access any of it as long as I work for this employer. I know if I were to buy a new property to actually live in that would allow me to access some with a 10% penalty for the down payment but moving is not in the short term plans due to family. 

My immediate question is should I continue to contribute or put that $ towards my reserves where I'll actually have access to it when I need it? Or have it to put towards a Marketing budget? 
I know can't roll it into a solo or IRA or anything while I'm employed there.

I've looked through the Blogs and forum posts and have found lots of information but trying to put it all together to figure out what my options are has been tough to filter out. I noticed most of the blogs I came across were written by @Jeff Brown and his comment that it takes 10 years of doing something to be an expert resonated with me and makes it obvious that all the reading I can do will not give me the advice I need in the short term. Hoping there are some experts out here that can point me in a direction. 

I feel like the answer to my question is obvious, keep contributing and getting that free money the employer puts in. We're not talking about a lot of $ on a weekly basis and it won't have an impact on my current expense structure, but I could also put it towards marketing or simply into reserves. 

I just want to hear some expert opinions on making better use of that $ as I'm starting my REI career.

Thanks in advance

Loading replies...