Skip to content
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Nathan S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Substantially Equal Periodic Payment (SEPP)

Nathan S.
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Aug 16 2019, 14:24

Anyone out there research this? My goal is to retire and live off of income of six single family home investments by age 55. They need to be free and clear and the thought was to use my 401k through the SEPP program in my early 50's if I need the funds to help pay off the remaining mortgages.  There isn't any fear of the rental units not supporting my retirement so not having the 401k funds in my later years won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Aug 16 2019, 19:49
Originally posted by @Nathan S.:

Anyone out there research this? My goal is to retire and live off of income of six single family home investments by age 55. They need to be free and clear and the thought was to use my 401k through the SEPP program in my early 50's if I need the funds to help pay off the remaining mortgages.  There isn't any fear of the rental units not supporting my retirement so not having the 401k funds in my later years won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Its called 72(t) Distributions. You have to separate from your employer to do this for 401k funds( If IRA, there is no separation requirement as IRAs are not connected to the employer).

There are timing, length, and amount of requirements. Your trustee of 401k should help you al these. Have you talked to them? Also, I would recommend talking to a financial planner to determine if you really have retirement planned properly. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Jensen
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Replied Aug 23 2019, 11:47

@Nathan S.  72(t) distributions might work, but it would probably be better to free up the 401(k) money in advance with roth conversions.

You could run the numbers either way but I would be surprised if 72(t) distributions worked out better.

Renovate Financial Planning Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan S.
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Aug 23 2019, 11:50

Thanks @Ashish Acharya and @Scott Jensen.  I am 18 years away from retirement, but I like to research and plan ahead!  Of course, the laws and rules could change between now and then too.

User Stats

Votes
TJ P.
  • Investor
  • WI OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WI OH
Replied Apr 12 2020, 20:13
Originally posted by @Nathan S.:

Thanks in advance!

What did your research reveal, Nathan?

End up using it?