• Columbus
Votes |
Tenants making unfounded maintenance requests

Han T.
  • Investor
  • Columbus
Posted Jun 15 2022, 10:42

[Advice needed]

TL:DR - Tenants repeatedly made various maintenance request, most request were followed up by professionals that said that the request were not justified, including Building Code Enforcements. Sending these professionals (plumber, electricians) out has been costly, especially when the request were mostly not valid. In addition, tenant repeatedly send reminders that they are ready to put in ALL CASH offers to buy the rental. Need advice on how to manage the situation and minimize unnecessary, unfounded maintenance request.

---------------
Tenant complaint of multiple electrical issues, electricians were sent out and found that nothing were unsafe. Tenants were unsatisfied with the results and requested for City's Building Code Enforcements to come in to inspect for unsafe items. Report from Code enforcement found nothing was unsafe. 

Subsequently, tenants reported multiple plumbing issues, including some corrosion seen on the external of the water heater. A plumber came and quoted aggressively to change the water heater. A second opinion was called and the plumber came, fixed a faucet's water pressure and informed me that the water heater is functional, and the maintenance can be deferred. I clarified on the corrosion and he assured me from his professional opinion that it is definitely something to be change eventually but it is still functional and can be deferred. Obviously I will defer them. 

There are a ton of other maintenance request (see picture and comments below) that they deem unsafe, but after seeking multiple opinions, are not an issue. These requests are costing me an unnecessary ton of service calls! Furthermore, the property was advertised AS-IS, and they knew of these issues before moving in. On top of that, previously we have offered to terminate the lease at no costs, however, they refuse to terminate, yet at the same time they are UNHAPPY of the condition, and still keep asking to buy ALL CASH (without saying the price). I was wondering if there are any ways to manage their maintenance request (keep them in check) or if need be, find legal recourse to get them out should they continue to ramp up the costly maintenance requests? 

Thanks in advance.

Pic 1: Tenant's complaint on the electrical issues that creates potential fire hazards. Note that tenant claimed to have corrosion, when we called the electrician, electrician did not verify corrosion was observed. In the next pic, you will see that the Inspector also agreed that there were no corrosion.

Pic 2: Building Code Enforcement reverted to say nothing (from the electrical) was unsafe. (and we have subsequently sealed hole in building exterior sheathing)

Pic 3: Tenant complaint about Foundation Hole, claimed that rodents can crawl through one hole and into the garage. Firstly, hole is pretty small. Secondly, garage door closes along the blue line. Both exit/entrance are outside the garage.

Pic 4: Corresponding email with building compliance on the Hole, stating that the repair was discretionary.

These are just some of the maintenance request, there are a few more which are also invalid as advised by professionals.

Loading replies...