General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Matt Merriott
Votes |
Replacing windows in Condo

Matt Merriott
Posted Mar 27 2023, 17:32

Have a condo in a class C - neighborhood. It was built in 1977 and I assume has original windows and they are in bad shape. My question, is it better to spend the money and put in good quality windows with lifetime warranty? Or put in new windows that work and let it be? We own this unit free and clear so paying for them is not a huge issue as rent will cover it over some months. 

Am I over thinking this?

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 27 2023, 17:45

You're overthinking it. In a C class neighborhood they just want windows that work. Unless you believe that you can rent the unit faster or get higher rent with nicer windows, there is no need for them. 

However, if the area is trending towards B class, I'd get ahead of the game and put in the nicer windows. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 27 2023, 17:46
Aloha,

If it is a condo, it is likely they are not yours to replace. Check your governing documents, particularly the Declaration which should spell out whose responsibility they are. If they ARE your responsibility, check to see if there is a design review / architectural committee that must approve your choices.
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 28 2023, 05:25
Quote from @Richard F.:

In my neck of the woods, doors and windows are an owner responsibility. It's definitely worth reading the governing documents to confirm, and you should always contact the architectural committee before making any changes to your unit that can be visible to others.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied Mar 28 2023, 06:37

Windows are one of those things that you want to put in, and not worry about. I would go with a higher quality brand, so I have fewer concerns about the lifespan and water intrusion. It is also likely to last longer than a cheap window. On the flip side, I wouldn't spend extra for other features, just higher quality. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Merriott
Votes |
Replied Mar 28 2023, 19:06

I was able to get Pella windows for a good price so I’m hoping to go with that. I had to submit the color to the association for approval, my next option was 400% more expensive. 

In this association I am responsible for replacing doors and windows but the HOA has to paint and trim around it. Kind of odd but it is what it is.

Thanks for all the responses!