Why you need reserves

Why you need reserves

Josh YoungPro Member
Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 384 posts · 421 votes

I see a lot of people analyzing deals and they do a nice job of assigning a certain percentage of monthly rent for different expenses, maybe 5% repairs/maintenance, 5% Cap Ex, 4% Vacancy, and 8-10% Property Management. I think this is a great way to underwrite a deal, but in reality these expenses don't happen all nice and spread out like the budget; they can and do happen thousands of dollars at a time, sometimes tens of thousands. In the past 3 months I replaced the HVAC in two of my rental SFH, one was $9k and the other was a little bigger, so it was $10k, this wasn't a big deal because I had the reserves. My point is, for anyone starting out wanting to live on the cash flow from rental properties, do yourself a favor and add a little extra to your reserves, it will help you make better decisions. Lenders usually require 6 months of PITI payments as reserves, but I like to have a little more, I like to have 6 months plus $10k per property for SFH. How much do you like to keep in reserves?

4Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Jay Hinrichs That's exactly what we want to achieve. The problem we have is capital and retaining it after refinancing the property. We have trapped good amount of money in our rentals. The last one we left $18k... we got the investment ball rolling but it's slow. I've added about one property per year with $100-200 per month cash-flow. It feels safe given this market but I'd rather do REI full time. I could retire in 4 years with a pension at my current 9-5 if I stay around that long. 

Did you partner or syndicate with people early on to scale to 300 units? Or buy most with your own capital? 


I would NEVER ever leave a job with only 4 years left to a pension.. your just changing one job for another.  running a bunch of rentals is a JOB no matter what people say on BP.. thats why I sold out when i could.. took my profit and did other things that did not include dealing with residential tenants in C class rentals which really were probably D class if we are being honest and some B's

I put together a real estate paper offering to do our portfolio much like a syndication. I had no cash into it and I actually refinanced at the purchase so was pulling 5 to 10k per property when i closed on them so we generated about 3,000,000  in cash .. and while it should have cash flowed on paper I came to the realization of pulling max ltv out of the deals we simply broke even at best.. So I took my cash and left the other partners in control of the assets  IE they bought me out.. its was a glorious day for me  :)
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    All of our properties are local, so I set aside one hundred k that can be used across any of our properties. It gets replenished as needed.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Josh Young

    Agreed. I have never been a fan of keeping a percentage when you own a few rentals. You can do this when you own 100 or 1000 rentals.

    What I recommend is review what the property has and what is it’s life expectancy. For example if the roof is $10k and has ten years left - well you need $1000/yr and tack on 5% inflation so I would probably wants $100-$150/mo just for the roof

    Those on a $1000 rental holding 10% can cover the roof but no appliances, hvac, plumbing…. Exterior repairs, windows, driveway….

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris Seveney Learning and reading responses from experts like yourself has taught me to love value add deals. Remodeling (when necessary), repairing electrical, and replacing items in the property before people move in has been wonderful. We target properties with old roofs, negotiate lower prices, then invest that money right back into the property. 

    Maintenance has been a lot less stressful. 

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    When purchasing the deal, you have to underwrite the expense of replacing cap ex into your calculation for your CoC.

    So if the AC is 15 years old, or the roof is 20 years, I calculate that in. 

    6-12 months of PITI payments usually

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y

    I don't have a particular number that I need to keep in reserves for each of my properties but I keep plenty on hand because big expenses or vacancies can happen any time. I had to renovate one property this year for 15k and had 2 months vacancy. I had to do some work on another property and due to issues with the HOA, I had 3 months of vacancy.

    I wasn't happy but I also wasn't overly stressed due to keeping a ton of reserves knowing any time that there could be an issue even if everything (roof, appliances, AC, etc) are brand new.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Chris Seveney Learning and reading responses from experts like yourself has taught me to love value add deals. Remodeling (when necessary), repairing electrical, and replacing items in the property before people move in has been wonderful. We target properties with old roofs, negotiate lower prices, then invest that money right back into the property. 

    Maintenance has been a lot less stressful. 


    Back when i built our 300 plus home portfolio.. we did a few things right out of the gate.. New roof ( metal if we could) new waste line if the line was old clay. update electrical and plumbing. those were the pain points when tenants move in.. even so. with max debt there is very little cash flow after reserves. the idea was to pay down the properties until they were paid for then you had true cash flow.. Or at least enough to actually live on.  At least in the SFR small portfolio world..
  • Financial Advisor · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 127 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    Similar to @Bjorn Ahlblad, I just keep a lump sum of cash set aside for properties in a money market fund and keep that consistent. That way I have peace of mind, and can budget the 5/5/5% for CAPEX/Maintenance/Vacancy without worrying about if a huge expense comes at the beginning or all at once.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Jay Hinrichs That's exactly what we want to achieve. The problem we have is capital and retaining it after refinancing the property. We have trapped good amount of money in our rentals. The last one we left $18k... we got the investment ball rolling but it's slow. I've added about one property per year with $100-200 per month cash-flow. It feels safe given this market but I'd rather do REI full time. I could retire in 4 years with a pension at my current 9-5 if I stay around that long. 

    Did you partner or syndicate with people early on to scale to 300 units? Or buy most with your own capital? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Jay Hinrichs That's exactly what we want to achieve. The problem we have is capital and retaining it after refinancing the property. We have trapped good amount of money in our rentals. The last one we left $18k... we got the investment ball rolling but it's slow. I've added about one property per year with $100-200 per month cash-flow. It feels safe given this market but I'd rather do REI full time. I could retire in 4 years with a pension at my current 9-5 if I stay around that long. 

    Did you partner or syndicate with people early on to scale to 300 units? Or buy most with your own capital? 


    I would NEVER ever leave a job with only 4 years left to a pension.. your just changing one job for another.  running a bunch of rentals is a JOB no matter what people say on BP.. thats why I sold out when i could.. took my profit and did other things that did not include dealing with residential tenants in C class rentals which really were probably D class if we are being honest and some B's

    I put together a real estate paper offering to do our portfolio much like a syndication. I had no cash into it and I actually refinanced at the purchase so was pulling 5 to 10k per property when i closed on them so we generated about 3,000,000  in cash .. and while it should have cash flowed on paper I came to the realization of pulling max ltv out of the deals we simply broke even at best.. So I took my cash and left the other partners in control of the assets  IE they bought me out.. its was a glorious day for me  :)
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    How much you hold in reserve depends on a lot of factors. I have a strong income, I hold all my cashflow from rentals until I'm ready for the next investment, I have some big credit cards, and I have a large line of credit. If my bank accounts are low and I'm faced with a big expense, I can charge it and then pay it off the following month with cash flow. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    It all depends on the investor. Do they have a W2? Do they have rental income from other properties? Can they tap capital from other means if needed?

    I have 18 rentals and hardly have any reserves. Less than 20k right now. I’d rather spend my saved up cash to use for 20% down payments on my next investment property. However, I can tap 50k from two different credit cards with 0% interest for a year (Citi and Capital One) if necessary. I can borrow 50k from my 401k which I’ve done 3 times for real estate (to purchase two homes and rehab one). And my bank gives me a 25k line of credit if needed. So I’m ok not having much reserves since I can tap 125k quickly for random cap ex things that may pop up.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    It all depends on the investor. Do they have a W2? Do they have rental income from other properties? Can they tap capital from other means if needed?

    I have 18 rentals and hardly have any reserves. Less than 20k right now. I’d rather spend my saved up cash to use for 20% down payments on my next investment property. However, I can tap 50k from two different credit cards with 0% interest for a year (Citi and Capital One) if necessary. I can borrow 50k from my 401k which I’ve done 3 times for real estate (to purchase two homes and rehab one). And my bank gives me a 25k line of credit if needed. So I’m ok not having much reserves since I can tap 125k quickly for random cap ex things that may pop up.


    for me this would be too risky.. I have been through the credit drying up and going Poof ..401k is there but the other credit could get froze or called..  Not saying it will.. but its happened in the past. and then you add debt service to a 100% financed operation.. Just a little scary to me personally.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Josh Young

    I like your 6 months PITI reserves and an extra $10k per property in reserves. I have just over that amount in reserves. I'm anticipating a property tax increase on my California SFH rental since I did a major renovation, just waiting for the county assessor to send me that letter. I have a stable W2 job. I'm risk averse, which results in analysis paralysis, and probably have a bit too much sitting in a savings account when I could put the money to work getting a better return than 4.8%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.