• Investor
  • Oviedo, FL
Votes |
Tenant called the Police

Padma Mody
  • Investor
  • Oviedo, FL
Posted Dec 31 2014, 13:42

I bought house in Sept 2014 and it was rented with month to month lease with section 8. During November, Section 8 did yearly inspection and find out that HVAC is not working properly. We hire the HVAC guy and ask him to fix the problem. He told us that, this old HVAC is very old and its not possible to fix. So, we contacted Section 8 and told them the fact. They told us and tenant that, tenant can't live in this house and last day is 31st Dec. This is all section 8 decision to cancel the lease. We as a landlord agreed with section 8 and told tenant to move on or before 31st Dec. 

Since then, tenant is very angry at us. First she did not pay her portion for Dec and stop replying our emails. On one Saturday, we stop  by and knock the door and she did not open the door (her car was not there) so we left. Within a few minutes, she emailed us - 

-You will get your rent and do you think that me and my son are going to just sleep on a street corner!? Why would you harass me about turning over the keys when you told me we have to be out December 31, 2014 which is less than a 30 day notice.

So we contacted section 8 and they send her a letter and told her to pay the past due rent. Same day she called us during an evening and told us that she don't have money to hire the lawyer!! And finally, she paid rent on 24th Dec which is 24 days late. 

Yesterday, on 30th, we emailed her and ask her - 

-Please advise of the time when you'll have moved out tomorrow, so we can coordinate the time to receive the keys from you. 

Again, she did not answered our email and I was in the same area this afternoon, so I decided to stop by and ask her the time to pick up the key. I went alone and but kept my phone video on and took video. I went to the house and knock the door. No body answer the door so I check the door knob and it was lock. I see the u-haul truck was parked and some items near the mail box. I captured everything in the video. 

When I was driving back home, same time, police called and talk to my husband! She called police and told that landlord is harassing her. My husband told all details to police and he told police that because she did not reply to our email that's why I stop by to find out the time to pick up the key. 

My question is - What is next now? Both time she was not home and her neighbor told her about our present at the property. Do you think, once she move out, we will have hard time from the neighbor? Should I complain to section 8 about her that she called police? 

Loading replies...