Rental Property Investor · Westfield, MA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 16 votes
Sanity check here, I am not responsibly for a clogged drain due to hair from the tenants, right? Tenant just told me that the drain is clogged from hair and wants me to come fix it. Should I hire someone to fix and bill tenant or should I just tell them to take care of those sort of problems? Thanks!
Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 28 votes
11y
First off, I always recommend referring to the lease in situations like this. Second, for your own protection and wallet I would NOT leave this up to your tenant to fix. Yes, it's a pain; however, you protect the value of the property by ensuring it's well maintained. For a small price, you can prevent additional maintenance down the line and keep your tenant happy. Tenants who feel cared for take better care of your property. It’s a good thing that your tenant will report plumbing issues. Happy tenants = less turnover (the most expensive cost to a landlord) and properties in better condition.
Rental Property Investor · Westfield, MA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 16 votes
11y
@Account Closed , can you tell me where in my post you thought I was being hostile? I definitely didn't intend it to come that way. It was just a simple question, I am a new landlord and encountering these things for the first time so I thought BP would be a good place ask, I'll think twice next time. Tenants have been in the house for 10 months, pay on time and I recognize that is probably the most important thing. I have been very generous with them I think. The plumbing was all new when I turned it over to them and I have been over to fix a minor leak in the and noticed quite a bit of hair caught on the sink stopper. I kind of think this could turn into a regular problem so I was curious how others would handle it. I appreciate everyone's advice will be taking care are of it .
Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
11y
@Corey Pascuzzi "Hostile, adj, not friendly, warm, or generous; not hospitable"
Your use of "sanity check" implies that your tenant is causing you distress. The fact that you wonder about their "responsibility" and possibly billing them for a pretty minor issue, seems to me to be "not friendly, warm, or generous; not hospitable." towards them.
And now you will "...think twice" before asking other questions? I hope you'll reconsider. This is a good site and you could learn a lot...even (especially!) when challenged by some replies. I know I do.
Real Estate Broker · Deland, FL · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 24 votes
11y
If there's a problem at one of my rentals I want to know about it. I will try to fix it myself before sending in the Pro's. I would educate my tenants how to keep it from happening again and instruct them how to clear the drain. All my rentals are close to me so its not a problem to come over and check it out. Happy tenants renews the lease and the money keeps rolling in.
By the way I live in a house full of women ( wife and daughters) and having hair in the shower drain is common and I'm use to it. Once or twice a year I need to clean it out. No biggie.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
11y
I have used the ZIP IT's mentioned. I can't speak for using it all the time but when I used it they worked great and solved the issue.
If it's a shower drain then usually some soap and hair builds up and you just unscrew the drain and clean out.
If it's the bathroom sink or tub drain the zip it's pull the gunk up pretty decent. Under the sink in the bathroom if they have put all kinds of crazy stuff or it is still draining slow then taking off the ( clean out ) connector usually fixes the issue and get the hairpins and other plastic stuff they thought would make it down the drain out. If you do not have a cleanout you will be cutting the pipe and then using glue again after the cleanout.
It's key when buying a house or apartments what kind of things are there to do maintenance down the road.
Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
11y
@Corey Pascuzzi Try not to be discouraged from asking questions on this site. Some people are just snarky and I've had to learn that too. In fact, my very first question on this site was answered rather rudely by someone and it took me a long time to ask another.
As far as I'm concerned, there are no dumb questions. So please continue to ask and we will help when we can.
how can you be sure it is their hair and not the previous tenants? it builds up over time. (Toilet is another matter.) I would pay/fix and educate....once the drain is clean it will now definately be their hair! My plumber always puts in those toe pop drains which screw-off in tubs.
Men shaving puts quite a bit of debris in vanity drains. Not bad until it gets bad.
I agree with Marian. How do you know if its hair. cracked or collapsing pipes can cause items that would normally drain to get stuck. Example, roots breaking through a line can cause stuff to clog. if this resident has been pretty problem free, I'd clean it without issue. Once a year, I've had the same tenant call with a clogged washer drain. its an old house and things like this pop up. They pay on time every month, never have unreasonable repair requests and they keep the place super clean. I can handle a $100 plumbing bill and not think twice about it.
Just be sure you don't stick it down the drain where the water flows. You need to remove the cover and pull out the switch that changes the water from the spout to the shower head and run the hand auger there. (sorry I don't know what it's called)
Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
11y
@Corey Pascuzzi I would handle it as Marcia Maynard suggested.
If you decide that it is solely the tenants responsibility then I would have my plumber fix it and bill the tenant. I am not comfortable with them calling just anyone to work on my property.
Just be sure you don't stick it down the drain where the water flows. You need to remove the cover and pull out the switch that changes the water from the spout to the shower head and run the hand auger there. (sorry I don't know what it's called)
...
That would be referred to as the tub overflow by many :)
Depending on the type of drain, sometimes pulling the overflow open will have a linkage with the drain plug on it, and lots of hair and gunk will collect on that drain plug - it even comes out with the drain plug.
Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes
11y
I have one of those grids on top, but with a house full of girls we still get clogs. I agree they are definitely a good idea and will reduce the number of clogs you get.
Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
11y
My lease states tenants are responsible for any issues they cause. A drain clogged with hair is the tenants fault not mine.
When a u it turns over I make sure the drains are clean and working.
If it happens soon after they move I or my plumber would check it out.
Otherwise they would need to use a zip it and or vinegar and baking soda to clear it. Anything more serious than that and my plumber goes and they are billed. I do agree with not letting tenants do most repairs but they must be responsible for issues they cause or they will run you ragged with stupid requests if they don't understand "you break it you pay for it".
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
11y
A zip it is less than $3. Go clear the clog, show them how to use it and leave it with them. This gesture will go along way towards good relations and is well worth it!
I agree with @Sylvia B. . I buy these for my tenants and show them how to use them. I don't get calls for clogged drains.
The other issue is a stuck disposal. also supply them with the proper allen wrench and show them how to use them. I don't get calls for stuck disposals.
Easy maintenance items for the tenants to take care of.
Rental Property Investor · Westfield, MA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 16 votes
11y
Thanks for the advice everyone, I bought one of those zip it tools and took care of the drain today, super easy. I also bought a hair catcher and installed it. Hopefully that will prevent future clogs. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone!
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
I always go back and forth on this debate:
On one side if you fix every issue that the tenants cause and don't charge them for, you encourage repeat behavior....
On the other hand, if you bill them for it, you discourage them from reporting damages to you and you could end up with much bigger problems down the road that could have been cheaply/easily addressed before they blew out of proportion.
I usually take care of the issues as they come up and without charging them, but require the tenant to be there so I can educate them on 1. how to prevent this from happening again 2. how to take care of it without me if it does happen again (sometimes) and 3. that i will be charging them the next time (if the issue is caused by tenant).
If the cost of the repair is more significant (over $100) or I believe that the issue is caused by tenant negligence I will bill them for it, sometimes split the cost with them depending on the situation.
My properties are leveraged so a month of vacancy hurts me a lot more than a repair! I want my tenants to stay there as long as possible.
On one side if you fix every issue that the tenants cause and don't charge them for, you encourage repeat behavior....
On the other hand, if you bill them for it, you discourage them from reporting damages to you and you could end up with much bigger problems down the road that could have been cheaply/easily addressed before they blew out of proportion.
I usually take care of the issues as they come up and without charging them, but require the tenant to be there so I can educate them on 1. how to prevent this from happening again 2. how to take care of it without me if it does happen again (sometimes) and 3. that i will be charging them the next time (if the issue is caused by tenant).
If the cost of the repair is more significant (over $100) or I believe that the issue is caused by tenant negligence I will bill them for it, sometimes split the cost with them depending on the situation.
My properties are leveraged so a month of vacancy hurts me a lot more than a repair! I want my tenants to stay there as long as possible.
I know what you mean but I think it is important to go over stuff in great detail when signing the lease. Show the tenant how to use a zip it and explain that issues like clogged drains that they cause are their responsibility to pay a repairman that YOU line up or use something like the zip it tool to clear the clog. My last set of tenants I did a lot more upfront training with them and I hardly ever get called on issues unless something fails like the AC or Heat. I do regular inspections also. Next turnover I am supplying them with a new zip it, toilet plunger and sink plunger as an act of good faith.
It’s important to do once or twice yearly inspections also and repair things you see going out or catch things that they might not have called you on.
It’s possible to be nice and polite and remind them that they will be billed for your plumber clearing a clogged toilet. If they understand this up front then it’s not a surprise when something breaks.
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
9y
If it was the first time, I would just take care of it. I'd go visually inspect the unit, and take a picture of it in their presence (that way they know you have a record ... I might even text them the picture so we both have a record of it). Then take the opportunity to teach them how to maintain it (how you want them to maintain it ... not to use drano etc.), or direct them to a couple of youtube videos. I would tell them that it is a maintenance issue, and they are failing to maintain. So next time, they would be responsible. Then I would kindly give them the contact of a plumber for next time in case they needed it.
I'd just go ahead and fix it. I'd install grates on the drain too. In the end, you're in the People Business. I realize that there's something a mighty thin line between being helpful and enabling, but in the end we all buy from those we know, like, and trust. To me, this sorta, kinda falls under the "normal wear and tear" of things. Besides, it gives you a chance to inspect your property, as well as educate the tenant.
I add the following clause to my Rules and Regulations which are part of the lease agreement:
Under Maintenance and Repairs Section:
Cost of repair or clearance of stoppages in waste pipes and drains, water pipes or plumbing fixtures caused by Tenant negligence or improper usage are the responsibility of the tenant. Payment for the corrective action must be paid by Tenant on demand. Tenant is strictly prohibited from using any chemical drain cleaners, as they may damage the pipes and septic system. Pouring boiling water down the drain occasionally or after a clog may prevent stoppages in drains. No reimbursements will be made for plumbing charges not pre-approved by the manager.