Put a Bounty on Their Head

Put a Bounty on Their Head

Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes

So I picked up a 4 unit building in a lower income area earlier this year. I had some significant challenges when I took it over, (see https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/617743-shameless-self-pat-on-the-back) for more info.

I always like taking on challenges like this. I see self-managing rental properties as the ultimate in leadership challenges. It’s a true test of your metal when you can’t bark orders. You can’t threaten penalties all the time or they get numb to it. You need to think critically about how to inspire tenants to want to follow your lead.

One tool I wanted to share with the community that I’ve been using this year and that I’ve seen success with is my bounty program.

It’s hard for me to constantly be policing units that are 30+ min away each and every day. So what I do is I tell the tenants that if they catch another tenant doing something that is blatantly against the lease;

  • Throwing trash on the ground,
  • Not disposing of cigarettes in appropriate areas,
  • Destruction of property, etc;

I tell them to get a photo and or video of it and send it to me. If I can confirm it then I give them a discount off their next month’s rent.

So far no discounts have been needed to be given but I have noticed a complete stop to the shenanigans that were taking place when I first took the building over. I think the thought that the other tenants are keeping an eye on them discourages foolishness.

What are your thoughts BP?

12Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

Snitches get stitches

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    I think this approach is fascinating, and would love to hear how it works out over the long term.  I could completely see it working, and I could also see it causing problems, so Im curious what it looks like over a period of time.

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil I'll make sure to update it next year with some more data. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Snitches get stitches

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I think that if you have excellent relationship with your tenants and they take pride in their community, and most importantly- if they know you want the info- they will inform you when stuff goes wrong. 

    You dont need to create a 1984 type system where neighbors snitch on neighbors to get rewards.  

    You can also install security cameras which go a long way to curbing issues. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 257 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    You dont need to create a 1984 type system where neighbors snitch on neighbors to get rewards.  

    And there should be a double bounty for children who report on their parents!

    But in all seriousness, I do like this creative idea by OP. Interested in how it works out.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    Snitches get stitches

     that was my first thought  could lead to some fist fights or acusations.. seems like security cameras that you monitor would be worth it.. those dont lie 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony R. I like the idea, but be careful if you actually bring a tenant into a dispute. You don't want one tenant to retaliate against another. What you are experiencing is the effect of people doing the right thing when they think they are being watched. Security cameras have the same effect - even the dummy cameras if people think they are real. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    This would not work for me because I would never want tenants to believe I needed their assistance in managing my properties.

    I also would detest being used by one tenant against another. This sounds like a drama production machine.

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2018 · 225 posts · 180 votes
    7y
    @Patrick M. Agreed, can easily turn into tenant vs tenant trying to snitch out one another. Not a system I would use.
  • Rental Property Investor · Clinton, CT · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    I think that was very intelligent of you. Its amazing how people react and respond when their money is at stake, whether spending or making more of it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Sounds like a really poor management strategy to me . Offering an incentive for one neighbor to undermine another is asking for drama and for you to be stuck in it when you should be avoiding tenant situations altogether ,not inciting tensions by offering a bonus . You are supposed to stay out of their lives not get more involved in them ..Say a lady is a hundred short on rent this pay all she’s gotta do is make up a story about the guy upstairs throwing trash or a cigarette butt on the lawn and she can pay the rent obviously Now he’s furious because it was lie and you look like the idiot ! Just asking for problems . I’d rather manage with anfirm tone face to face with the tenant instead of being sneaky pitting his neighbor against him
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    7y

    My tenants already do this without need of incentive. The biggest issue is parking violations and after a few vehicles got towed, problems lessened significantly. But that may have been more attributable to me actually following though with getting the tow truck out there. As long as the tenants know you won't sell them out to the offender, I think it is a decent idea. I like the "must have picture as proof thing". Security cameras are nice but unless you know when and where to look, you won't see any problems. More of a deterrent than anything. 

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    I see a lot of great points here. For those saying it's a bad practice, I encourage you to try it before you shoot it down. It might surprise you. As I said, I've been using this now for almost a full year on this new property and the tenants have responded well to it. I've had zero fights about it and, as I mentioned, I've seen a complete stop to the obnoxious stuff like cigarette butts being left out and trash piling up behind doors. It's been very nice. 

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    7y

    @Anthony R. If I may ask, what how much is the rent credit per violation? And how do you plan to follow up/punish the offending tenant?

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Peter M. it depends on the offense. For something eviction worthy I've offered 50% off the following months rent. For little things like trash and cigarettes I've offered only $50 off their following months rent. As for the offender, my leases are pretty clear. If I have proof someone is littering or damaging property they can be ousted. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    It sounds good on the surface but I don't think good neighbors snitch on each other. If they were really good neighbors, they would talk to each other face-to-face and police after themselves. If you continue down this path of neighbors spying on each other, you're more likely to end up like Eastern Germany. If you are too young to remember, it's not a good thing.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Gillette, WY · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    @Anthony R. I have very little knowledge in this space other than being a renter myself, but I think this is a reasonable plan. That being said, I can see both sides of the argument. People respond to incentives and are often looking to cheat the system, but just because they live in a "C" neighborhood, doesn't mean they're bad people. I'd say if you're tracking the data and there is a clear penalty for abuse, you don't have anything to worry about.
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    The more I read some of these threads the more I am thankful I have adopted and implement a rigorous screening process.

    Landlords who don’t, wind up contorting themselves and their rules.

    Why the hell are you renting to smokers if you don’t like seeing cigarette butts?

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Anthony R. I toured four apartment complexes all in the same high demand area. During three tours there was a trash bag outside a complex resident door too early for conceirge trash collection--evidently common--and the lease agent snapped a photo. I think it is a great idea to keep trash smells, dog crap, and trash around the pool from detracting from everyones’ pleasurable living experience. They pay for it. They rightly resent if others ruin aspects of it for everyone else. Buy yes, do it on the sly.
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Its a nice concept in theory. But in reality, I see 2 things happening:

    1. Chronic complainers will waste 3x+ of my time with their complaints expecting they can monetize their time sitting there all day watching their neighbors. Maybe counteract it with, "if your complaint isn't a lease violation, you will owe the fine amount for wasting my freaking time!".

    2. All-out tenant brawls. In the class of properties (C/D) where this type of enforcement would be necessary, I would expect multiple physical "discussions" and threats after someone gets notice that they violated the lease terms. And likely, they'll go after the wrong person assuming that person tattled on them.

    Is there a particular problem you are trying to target with this approach?

  • Investor · Livonia, MI · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I love the idea

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I imagine you could get similar results without coming across as a control freak. Do you have a background in the prison system by any chance? This sounds a little sadistic

  • Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Anthony,

    I think that if the strategy has been working for you, stick with it. By now you've weighed the risks of implementing such an incentive and have decided to continue using the strategy because of the positive change that it has made. Kudos to you for doing something about the problems instead of letting them persist. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Sounds like a good way to turn a positive cash flowing property into a negative cash flowing property. I can see a scenario where someone send you a picture of someone throwing a cigarette but on the ground and you think to yourself, "was that worth $50". You decide to not pay them for snitching on such a minor infraction, and they decide to band together against you and it becomes a complete nightmare.
  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:
    Sounds like a good way to turn a positive cash flowing property into a negative cash flowing property. I can see a scenario where someone send you a picture of someone throwing a cigarette but on the ground and you think to yourself, "was that worth $50". You decide to not pay them for snitching on such a minor infraction, and they decide to band together against you and it becomes a complete nightmare.

     You created your own Gestapo!    Inventive!    

    ..but the way my mind works I would take a picture of my neighbor tossing a butt on the ground before he picks it right up like Jason said...then next month he gets one of me leaving trash beside the dumpster before I toss it in...then we each get rent discounts every other month.   

    Humans, man...they'll game the system.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.