Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Tenant negotiations / re-negotiations? (long)

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:58

I'm new here so forgive me if this has been covered.

I have a house I rent to 2 tenants. Before I rented to them it was full of college kids that trashed the place and wondered why I took the security deposit. :shock:

Anyway, when I ran the credit for these guys it was pretty bad. 500's. So I was apprehensive about renting to them until the lead guy said that he could pay 6 months up front and an additional 6 months after. I thought "yeah right". But the guy gave me a check for the 6 months and moved in right away. They called me a couple of times for minor things and I took care of them immediately. They have taken care of the palce and it seems fairly clean. I haven't heard from them for months. (that's good)

Now, in late December I sent them a letter telling them that I'd like for them to send the net 6 month check a little sooner than February 1 (ideally 2 weeks) because that's how long it took to clear my bank.

I got no response from the letter. I called one of the guys and he tells me that they don't like this 6 month deal as they are working on "investments" but that they are willing to "honor" the contract ad continue to make payments monthly.

I told them that I'd review the contract (only to keep from loosing my temper)

I later called back (had to leave a message)and explained that after reviewing the contract, they were obligated to the full 6 month payment but that in an effort to be reasonable, I'd re-negotiate with them and only require 3 months now and 3 months later.

Once again I heard nothing from them.

I called again today and the guy tells me that he had some of "his people" look at the contract and that it might be illegal to demand all 6 months, etc... All complete B.S. Anyway, I told him that I'd talk to the lead guy and try and resolve this matter. I called him and he was "busy" Still hasn't called me back and his "voicemail box is full".

I explained earlier to the first guy that if they were in anticipatory breach that I could start the eviction process right away and force them out and still have my contractually obligated damages for the 6 months as agreed.

So, here's my question: I've read that I should be a hard *** with tenants but am I being unreasonable? I don't think I am but I'd like to get other, more experienced opinions.

After dealing with this kind of crap I think I may be looking to sell and do other types of investments.

Loading replies...