Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Austin Works
  • Investor
  • West Monroe, LA
Votes |
Systems for keys/locks at multiple properties?

Austin Works
  • Investor
  • West Monroe, LA
Posted Aug 19 2019, 08:53

Up to this point, I've had every property on its own lock, and I keep a copy of all of these keys in a box. What systems are you using that are working for you? I'd like to systematize this now that I'm accumulating more properties and It's becoming harder to 

User Stats

Votes
Dante Feria
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus and Jonesboro GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus and Jonesboro GA
Replied Aug 19 2019, 11:16

Search online for Landlocks 

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied Aug 19 2019, 14:01

I put replaceable-cylinder locks from landlordlocks.com in my rental.  They cost more up front, but I can re-key the whole house myself in 20 minutes or so - you order (or buy ahead of time) a new set of cylinders, and use a tool you get with the new locks that removes the cylinder and installs the new one.  They will also set up a master key / tenant key system for you, so you can have one key that gets you into all of your properties, but each tenant's key only gets them into their unit.

A couple of the locks took me a little longer to install in the door than "regular" Kwikset/Schlage/etc locks from the hardware store, but that's because I decided to install a couple of extra screws that the "regular" locks don't usually have.  You should only have to do that work one time, though.  One of the locks got a little stiff after I used it for a while during rehab; a local locksmith recommended and sold me a can of "Tri Flow" spray lubricant, and that cleared it up.

Most hardware stores won't duplicate the keys for commercial locks like this.  A local locksmith might, but you might have to show some proof that you're the owner of the property.

I am not affiliated with Landlord Locks, except as a customer.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs