Needy Tenant With Incessant Requests

Needy Tenant With Incessant Requests

Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes

Looking for advice from some experienced landlords!

In short, we have a tenant whose lease started July 1,2019. Since she moved in her requests and complaints have been incessant. From the initial walkthrough, lease was already signed, my husband sensed that things would be very different from our previous tenats. She sent a follow up email complaining about the following, to name a few:

Small scratch on stainless steel fridge

slight discoloration in grout about sink

penny size chip in tub

screen doors don't slide smoothly

Additionally, she asked us to come spray the house because she saw centipedes and has a bug allergy. When I told her that those are from the age of the building, she called the next morning and said that she saw a roach. I scheduled Terminex to come spray and assess the property and set up a contract for them to come spray quarterly. I am trying to keep her out of my hair. Terminex said the place is immaculate; it is newly renovated and well maintained.

Two weeks later she asked me to have them come again and set up the appointment because Terminex put her on hold for twenty minutes. Then she asked if we can buy her magnetic screens for the sliders since the screens  doors that we need for the balconies are on back order. Please note, I am summarizing her requests.

I understand that being a landlord is a business and I am doing my best to address her concerns accordingly, but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I am happy to address issues, but I'm not willing to incur additional costs for her requests that are superficial.

My question is: how would you handle this tenant? In a few months would you let her know that you will not be renewing the lease? Would you keep her since she is paying?

I welcome all advice. 

Thanks, BP!

6Reply
393 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

@Jessica M. Does she call you or just email? If it’s email I would just tell her that you won’t be fixing those things as they are non-essential to the property. Continue the quarterly pest control and probably leave it at that.

If it continues or she makes a bigger scene I would let her out of her lease if she wished, while keeping the deposit as a lease termination fee (assuming that’s in the lease)

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jessica M.:

    @Pat L. That sounds like such a headache! You are right. There are definitely better tenants out there. Maybe I'll luck out like you and be able to get more for the rent, too!

    Yes moving on is best. That next couple barely made it through the year (divorce) so we bumped it again by $75/month just to get someone in for the winter. They in fact got married on the property (5 acres) & then left within the year buying their own home. Then my daughter got it to $875/month, they were in barely 8 months (got a job xfer) & the new kids are now paying $995/month. No vacancies just quick out/in transitions.

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M.

    Everyone has given great advice. You mentioned about vetting a tenant better. You should call not the current landlord but the one prior to that, to get real understanding how tenant was both with payment and the way they behaved during their residency. Also if rental history lists prior residence for only one year and they continuously move that’s red flag unless job relocation with same company.

    Stay firm. Getting another tenant is not hard so don’t be scared to just tell current tenant this business relationship doesn’t seem to be working and allow her to move out. Best to do now as it’s harder to rent during holidays.

    Best of luck

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 865 posts · 351 votes
    7y

    Tenants like this is why many landlords/ investors move towards paid property management. You don’t need the buffer until you do. 

    If you plan on scaling towards more units then PM is recommend, but in the beginning some folks go the do it yourself route. Is there a PM that would be willing to take over your lease and deal with this tenant?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. Good luck, there is no pleasing those types of tenants but at least you are trying.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Joel S. great point! As we continue to grow our portfolio, this is definitely something to consider.

    Anybody know of any great PM companies in the central Jersey area?

    Again, thank you all so so much!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Mason DeJarnett I saw this on another BP forum last week and already created one. I plan on using the Move out form/checklist this time and and then try both with the next tenant.

    Always learning something new!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    M2M rental agreements are likely the best thing I've learned in the past 12 years.  You can deal with misbehaving tenants immediately and they know it.  I probably have ten properties that have been on M2M for 5+ years.

    Best, Terrell

  • Rental Property Investor · East Longmeadow, MA · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. Was the pests there when she started? Leases on BP state pests are tenants responsibility to deal with.

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
    7y

    Just tell her that you only address issues that involve safety and quality of life. None of these fall into those two categories 

    #bye

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Luke Saglimbeni No. We never, never had any pest issues. My husband and I lived there for three years.

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I'd get a property manager and a very detailed lease written by a real estate attorney. Let them deal with it.

    If you still choose to manage yourself:  use a walk through check list and  have a very specific  detailed lease on what you will and won't cover, take pictures of everything pre rented, give a copy to the renters and have them sign that they are aware of and accept the pre existing conditions.

    If you want to cater to her requests the sliding door: does the track need to be greased maybe? 

    grout pens are cheap.

    Tub chip repair kits are cheap.

    If she wants that stuff done especially the cosmetic stuff.         Tell her if she wants it fixed how much it will cost and let her pay for it.  Add charges so you can pay yourself if you do these jobs or even request the service. If she doesn't want to pay for them: give her a list like mentioned above. Tell her she can get grout pens and tub chip kits at Home Depot or Lowes. 

    Whatever fits your situation best. 

    Being a landlord is always a learning experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Longmeadow, MA · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. If it’s in the lease let them know it’s their responsibility. And ensure before they move in or the next one moves in walk through the place with them noting anything wrong with it. Video if need be too

  • Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2015 · 626 posts · 495 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M.

    I wouldn’t run and get a property manager. In my opinion, new tenants are just like kids. They will ask for the world. If they get it then they will ask for more and more regardless what the lease states. Not everything that can happen will be in the lease.

    My new tenants complained about ants coming into the house. They moved in June and complained about the ants in August. My response was: “so how are you guys handling it?” Their response was that They were spraying with vinegar and that was working. They have dogs so they claim that they don’t want the chemicals.

    I bet money that if I offered an exterminator they would have gladly accepted.

    It is hard to say no, but the once or twice you do they will learn to stay in their lane or dig into the lease and learn what their responsibilities are/aren’t.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fint Michigan · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M.basically you have to teach your Tenates what to expect. If you give them an inch they will take a mile, the big “But” is are your property’s compatible with the markets property’s. If you are under the markets standards then, yes you will get back logged with request.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    The dents and dings were they complaints or just to make you aware of existing conditions so you won't blame and charge her? 

    As far as the other stuff. I would keep up with the pest control schedule but in no way get her everything she wants..if everything is in satisfactory working order that's good enough.! All of the other issues are non issues. You have a pain in your butt to deal with and I hope the profit is worth it.

  • Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. You just need a property manager! That’s the best way to do it, pay someone to be tough for you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, Ontario · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jessica M.

    Following 👍

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @John Thedford lost me on the acronyms 😄

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. Out of the gate, you should not renew this tenant's lease. 

    Many great suggestions already. 

    ONE more thing: 

    When you get a text, just tell the tenant that you do not receive maintenance request via text message and that all must through emails or via your management software, which is what we do (we use TenantCloud [free]). 

    If I get a text and reply I say please fill a maintenance request online as we need to assign work to our maintenance crew and for trackability.  

    A few tenants are super weird (and you got one of those), but you have to nip it in a bud, quick, and remind them who the boss is (it is ok to be nice, but with these kinds of tenants, you cannot AFFORD to be, literally). 

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. You definitely need to set some guidelines. Life and safety gets handled, the rest is... TS

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. May be the small things are just for the “ record “ so she doesn’t get dinged for it on get deposit at the end of her tenancy. This includes small scratches, chip in tub etc.

    Centipede and other bugs should be addressed. Screens for patio...it’s a NO GO. Simply state, proper screens are ordered therefore temporary screens will not be purchased at this time.

    May be you have your guards up and seeing every request from the perspective of caution or trouble. Relax and respond legitimate request, ignore other.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    So many great takeaways! Is anybody willinh to share a landlord/ tenant checklist? It would be great to cross check it with what I just created.

    I'm going to keep the pest control for now, but for our next tenant, I will add in the 15 day clause. Any insect issues after 15 days are the tenant's responsibility.

    I'm going to look into tenantcloud...anybody else use it? I need to see which one is more user friendly, tenant cloud or Google forum.

  • Investor · Gardena, CA · Member since 2017 · 445 posts · 398 votes
    7y

    Sometimes, the finicky tenants who start out with several minor requests are the best tenants you will ever have. I would rather have a tenant who complains about a tiny scratch than a tenant who doesn't care if all the windows are busted out and water pipes are leaking and rotting the wood floors.

    As a landlord, you should try to realize that many tenants rent because they don't want to have to worry about maintenance. Accommodate her as much as possible and she will probably treat you well. Sometimes, you have to pay a little money to accommodate a tenant, but it usually pays off well. It is a part of being a good landlord vs. a tight butt who thinks all tenants are a paint in the butt. You sort of have to act like the manager of a hotel and accommodate your tenants to make their stay enjoyable.

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M., oh yeah, you definitely need to learn how to tell your tenant "NO." So, you should keep the essentials functioning, but minor cosmetics that were with the property before she moved in, should remain.

    The only thing that has merit is the complaint regarding spraying the property - as a courtesy to the tenant, I normally do this automatically. Vacant properties attract bugs/spiders/etc, so I normally don't demand that the tenant has the responsibility of spraying the property. During that vacancy period when the tenant moves out and the new tenant moves in, I have the property sprayed.

    I have a tenant right now that consistently complains about cosmetic issues with the property. I consistently tell him no. The only real complaint he had was regarding doorknobs, which I replaced (although technically functional). Doorknobs/deadbolts naturally relate to safety, so I'm not willing to risk that issue given the circumstances of his request (doorknob/deadbolt appeared faulty).

    I think the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to process the requests like a robot. If you take the requests personally, you'll feel an impulse to give the tenant what they want. You need to process the request like you're a non-personal employee at some management company - aka you can't process the request. If you can't process tenants like a robotron, then you ought to hire a management company. The management company will displace the personability between you and the tenant.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You have to somehow catch these tenants before they move in.  If a tenant seems demanding through the walkthrough and process of signing the lease, you might want to back away.

    Small scratch on the stainless fridge?  How do you fix that?  I'd be super firm to her.  And not take any of her calls.  Her requests can be submitted by email.  And reject a bunch of them.

    I steer away from high-end rentals just because I fear getting super demanding tenants.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.