• Flipper/Rehabber
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Needy Tenant With Incessant Requests

Jessica M.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • New Jersey
Posted Sep 20 2019, 11:54

Looking for advice from some experienced landlords!

In short, we have a tenant whose lease started July 1,2019. Since she moved in her requests and complaints have been incessant. From the initial walkthrough, lease was already signed, my husband sensed that things would be very different from our previous tenats. She sent a follow up email complaining about the following, to name a few:

Small scratch on stainless steel fridge

slight discoloration in grout about sink

penny size chip in tub

screen doors don't slide smoothly

Additionally, she asked us to come spray the house because she saw centipedes and has a bug allergy. When I told her that those are from the age of the building, she called the next morning and said that she saw a roach. I scheduled Terminex to come spray and assess the property and set up a contract for them to come spray quarterly. I am trying to keep her out of my hair. Terminex said the place is immaculate; it is newly renovated and well maintained.

Two weeks later she asked me to have them come again and set up the appointment because Terminex put her on hold for twenty minutes. Then she asked if we can buy her magnetic screens for the sliders since the screens  doors that we need for the balconies are on back order. Please note, I am summarizing her requests.

I understand that being a landlord is a business and I am doing my best to address her concerns accordingly, but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I am happy to address issues, but I'm not willing to incur additional costs for her requests that are superficial.

My question is: how would you handle this tenant? In a few months would you let her know that you will not be renewing the lease? Would you keep her since she is paying?

I welcome all advice. 

Thanks, BP!

Loading replies...