• Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Repiping a whole house

Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Oct 23 2020, 22:52

Purchased first cash home from sheriff tax  sale and Already learned a lot of lessons.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a whole house repiped with Pex. If so please share what you paid and some ball park quotes.

PS someone stole ALL the pipes and faucets

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 02:56

Hi, Keelee, I assume this is the place you contacted me about?

The estimates on doing a whole house are going to vary widely depending on the construction of the house and the layout of the piping, especially in my area. Generally speaking, the older the construction, the more likely you are to see this kind of variance.

Addicts stealing copper water supply piping and selling it for scrap is one of the easiest, if not the easiest, sorts of theft in unoccupied houses undergoing or waiting for renovation. It's happened to us multiple times. Scrap copper water pipe sells for about $2 a pound.

User Stats

Votes
Erik B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Amityville, NY
Votes |
  • Amityville, NY
Replied Oct 24 2020, 03:40
Originally posted by @Keelee Moseley:

Purchased first cash home from sheriff tax  sale and Already learned a lot of lessons.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a whole house repiped with Pex. If so please share what you paid and some ball park quotes.

PS someone stole ALL the pipes and faucets

You already took possesion of the property? If so get 3 recommended plumbers in there and get quotes from all 3 and compare. Asking people on the internet is not going to help you in any way.  Price varies by SOW and area. What I pay here in NY is going to be vastly different then many other places.

I just did a 1000sf ranch and paid $14,600 to replumb from trap back. This included a rheem tankless unit and install. House was gutted 

This was rough in price only. Did not include any fixtures (except tankless unit)

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
  • Investor
  • Palatine, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Palatine, IL
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:03

@Keelee Moseley

I had gotten a price last year to remove the old copper water pipes in a 1400 square foot 1 story house and replace with PEX. The cost was $15,000.  

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:04

@Keelee Moseley There are a lot of variables that can affect the price, but since you asked, I’ll share what I paid.

I had a whole house re-pipe done on an older, approx 1350 sf house (in California) last just last year. There was existing galvanized pipe that had to be pulled out, and it was all replaced with PEX. Total cost $4,100. 

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:05

@Jim K. yes, this is for the same house. That’s pretty sad 😞. 

@Erik B. that’s pretty steep, what state are you in? I got a quote for $13k that also included the water heater, furnace and AC. The plumbing was $6100 for the whole house 

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:08

@Kyle J. our house is 1323 sq ft. We’re you quotes comparable? 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:14

@Kyle J. our house is 1323 sq ft. We’re you quotes comparable? 

Yes. Got two quotes from local, licensed plumbing companies. The other one came in at $4,200.

Went with the one that was slightly cheaper at $4,100 and they even agreed to flush/descale the tankless water heater for free while they were on site. :)

User Stats

Votes
Erik B.
  • Amityville, NY
Votes |
  • Amityville, NY
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:16

@Jim K. yes, this is for the same house. That’s pretty sad 😞. 

@Erik B. that’s pretty steep, what state are you in? I got a quote for $13k that also included the water heater, furnace and AC. The plumbing was $6100 for the whole house 

I'm on Long island NY

Hard to compare but if I figure in central AC and heat furnace my material costs were over your full price.

Get 2 more quotes and you'll know if they are all inline 

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 04:41

@Erik B. @Kyle J. thank you both !

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 05:37
Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

@Keelee Moseley There are a lot of variables that can affect the price, but since you asked, I’ll share what I paid.

I had a whole house re-pipe done on an older, approx 1350 sf house (in California) last just last year. There was existing galvanized pipe that had to be pulled out, and it was all replaced with PEX. Total cost $4,100. 

Kyle, curious about this one, as I too own a place with galvanized water supply piping. Was this property a two-story or one-story house? Was there a full basement?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 06:03

@Jim K. Single story, no basement. Had a crawl space though. 

User Stats

Votes
Kim Kieu
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Oct 24 2020, 07:38

@Keelee Moseley. 13K quote you got sounds fabulous.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 24 2020, 12:47

@Keelee Moseley

Excluding materials and Sheetrock, $2-4k plus $1-2k per bathroom or kitchen.

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 18:52

@Kim Kieu lol yes it does after seeing a few others. I have two more quotes and then I will move forward. I'm definitely learning here.

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 18:52

@Ben Strackany Those numbers, I would be happy with!

User Stats

Votes
Sean Gribbons
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 24 2020, 19:15

I just redid a 4 unit from the studs. 1 bathroom 1 kitchen 1 washer box per unit all in pex. I love pex it is an excellent product for many reasons but from your standpoint its very easy to fix if needing repair will last likely 100 years and is so quiet compared to copper or PVPC. Your plumber will love it because fittings go on easy and its super easy to work with and its much cheaper than copper. Its found in cheap track homes to top of the line luxury homes where nothing but the best is required. 

Hope that helps!   

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 20:26

@Sean Gribbons Hi Sean. I watched a couple of videos and read about pex and it appears to be cheaper and simpler. I was hoping I would get a quote for under $4000. The house is very small and most of the walls are down already. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Gribbons
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 24 2020, 21:50

@Keelee Moseley that sounds very do able. Our plumber charged $19,000 total including permit for 4 units. They were a little more pricey I had found out once all said and done but water flows so no complaints. 

Under $4,000 seems reasonable. Probably $700-$1100 in parts and the remaining in labor. 

User Stats

Votes
Keelee Moseley
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2020, 22:15

@Sean Gribbons I was "hoping" to get 4k but instead, I got two 6100 and 6500 and 13K for plumbing, furnace, water heater and AC

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 25 2020, 01:34

@Keelee Moseley. I had the unfortunate experience of having to do my whole house. I spent around 15k. I had to trench the whole house and connect to the city line outside. I removed cast iron and replaced with PVC. For reference, it was 2,500 sf home with 4 bathrooms.