Biden Asks Congress to Extend Federal Eviction Moratorium

46 Replies

I live in Chicago, and the eviction laws have always been insanely slanted in favor of the tenant. My market is a C+. Section 8 pays way above the market rent. Because of these two factors, section 8 is a no brainer. I personally know of three investors who have been taken to the cleaners compliments of deadbeat tenants gaming the system. 

@DeWitt Gibson lets be thankful  some in congress refused to support the  moratorium so now there are a few more weeks of courts open.  I think removing the moratorium will evict those people who just don't pay and light a fire under those who qualify for assistance.  

They were mainly using the delta variant of Covid to try to justify the extension of the moratorium. That makes is so it is not just about those who are not immunized. If each new variant is an issue it will go on forever. Viruses mutate all the time. 

@Greg M.    and that research is probably based on self report so you can get under or overreporting.   

@Dominic Kosteris    I get the point you are trying to make preaching section 8 but my frustration is that  the government overpaying some for rentals just doesn't sit right with me. Especially when they so easily asked for landlords to carry tenants in a crisis. 

Originally posted by @DeWitt Gibson :

As a follow on, Congress did not extend:

https://apnews.com/article/joe... (AP) — A nationwide eviction moratorium is set to expire Saturday after President Joe Biden and Democrats in Congress worked furiously but ultimately failed to align on a long-shot strategy to prevent millions of Americans from being forced from their homes during a COVID-19 surge.

this is why you can't take msm seriously. worked "furiously" two days before it was set to expire? they really care, don't they... 

@Jim K.

There are way more renters that vote than landlords, that is the main reason. Also the banks have a strong and well financed lobbying group and give massive campaign donations. Landlord lobbying groups are mostly inept.

There are ways to structure your lease to look at MTM to you but a "soft" full year lease to the tenant. I recently bought a SFH from a retiring landlord who had a lease like this. Have a termination clause that gives you the power to issue 30 days notice to vacate, but if the tenant tries to leave, they have to give up the security deposit. I don't like this type of contract, but if eviction moratorium continues, I'm sure many property managers will start getting creative.

Originally posted by @Steve B. :

@Jim K.

There are way more renters that vote than landlords, that is the main reason. Also the banks have a strong and well financed lobbying group and give massive campaign donations. Landlord lobbying groups are mostly inept.yes.

Yep. You want justice, buy yourself some elections. Don't piss and moan in the BP forums about some high-falutin' principles and human rights that were never nothing more than a con job sponsored by European moneymen to ditch the kings.

Originally posted by @Momi Rapozo :

@Adam Martin what area are you in? You’re saying you can’t rent your houses to where the numbers make sense?

Sorry for the confusion, renting my properties where the numbers make sense is easy for existing houses and homes in the right price range should net 4-800 after piti but you still need to factor in capex.  Rents are up on my first house almost 600 in 6 years and I'm doing great, what I was referring to was since rents have gone up so much I couldn't afford to be a renter to many of my properties which seems weird.  

The moratorium is nothing more than giving the low class irresponsible people a free ride. They think they are "entitled" to it.

With all the stimulus money and extra unemployment there is zero reason to have an eviction moratorium. You can't make double-triple the money and then cry that you can't pay your rent. It's a way to buy votes. Why do you think another "way more serious, way more lethal, Covid strain that infects EVERYBODY regardless of vaccination status" is now going around? More stimulus, more unemployment, etc. will be happening again shortly. 

Originally posted by @Victor S.:
Originally posted by @Eric James:

Supreme Court ruled the CDC didn't have the authority to order the moratorium. Congress probably does. We'll have to see the details if this passes, and possible loopholes. Eg not evicting people for non-payment of rent, but because their month to month lease has expired. 

I sure hope this bold part gets challenged if they were to pass any kind of legislation mandating landlords to quarter people in their homes against their wishes.

anyway, that's just more lip service from the big guy. nothing will happen in congress/senate to extend this (i hope). 

Challenging congress on this in the supreme court is likely a loosing battle. Judge Kavenaugh already stated that for the moratorium to continue would require congressional action. That indicates he believes congress has authority to do so, or he would not have said that.

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren :

Grandstanding at it's best. Can you imagine the absolute lack of responsibility it takes to be evicted 3 times.

Um, where are their masks? Why are they not practicing social distancing? I'm sure there is an uproar about this on the MSM. 😬

Originally posted by @Victor S.:
Originally posted by @DeWitt Gibson:

As a follow on, Congress did not extend:

https://apnews.com/article/joe... (AP) — A nationwide eviction moratorium is set to expire Saturday after President Joe Biden and Democrats in Congress worked furiously but ultimately failed to align on a long-shot strategy to prevent millions of Americans from being forced from their homes during a COVID-19 surge.

this is why you can't take msm seriously. worked "furiously" two days before it was set to expire? they really care, don't they... 

Update: Worked "furiously" amounts to Nancy Pelosi requiring unanimous consent on extending the eviction moratorium. That means only one representative needs to object to block it. As expected, republicans objected. Then Nancy Pelosi says "it is republicans fault for blocking it" as if she ever expected that to pass unanimous consent. She should have put it up for vote, but she was either afraid the votes were not there or doesn't want it extended. Then Nancy Pelosi says "we tried and now President Biden needs to do something". Biden asks the CDC to do something and they say no, because the supreme court stated they don't have authority. Biden blames congress, blames republicans, blames states for not administering assistance and blames landlords for not seeking assistance. Congress goes on vacation and blames the republicans. Then a White House advisor makes the press circuits and says "The key message here is that no landlord should evict without seeking that rental assistance." LOL, like any landlord would not seek assistance if it was in their control... Blaming landlords is blaming the victim. How about we actually try to solve a problem.

I have said it before, the solution is giving courts authority to dispense rent assistance funds. Let the judge award assistance and have the clerk of courts write checks to the landlord at the courthouse. The tenant has to prove hardship and only gets to stay in the property if they agree to pay going forward. That means they have a job or agree to seek monthly assistance until they get a job. Biden could write an executive order giving courts authority to dispense funds. The only wrinkle I see is state governors or state bureaucracies that refuse to give control to the courts. If we trust judges to give fines, why wouldn't we trust them to hand out assistance money?

@DeWitt Gibson

Yet another update:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/08/03/cdc-will-extend-the-federal-eviction-moratorium-through-oct-3.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Tuesday it will extend the federal eviction moratorium through October 3, 2021 after the ban lapsed over the weekend.

The announcement comes after pressure from House Democrats including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., and Rep. Cori Bush, D-Mo. The White House previously said Biden did not have the authority extend the ban, given a June Supreme Court ruling that said only Congress can enact a such a ban. Congressional Democrats did not appear to have enough votes to do so, and the House is currently in recess