Process to convert a 3 Family to condos...Anyone?

3 Replies

Hello Everyone, has anyone converted or tried to convert a Multi family (Triple Decker) to condos while carrying a Mortgage in Boston/Mass? If not in Boston, maybe somewhere else in the US? Any leads to this procedure or details i can start with will be appreciated. best, T

@Taoufik K. Talk to a real estate attorney about the process.  Expect to spend ~$4,000 in legal and engineering fees.  

My memory is that if there are tenants, they must be given a right of first refusal when selling the units.  You'll also have to honor existing leases.

Thanks Charlie! i appreciate your input. Yes, im well aware of these requirements. What about the Mortgage balance that is still unpaid? do you have any info about the case of carrying a Mortgage and doing conversion? Or there any banks that lend money to allow this kind of projects?
Thanks Charlie! i appreciate your input. Yes, im well aware of that fees of the Attorney. What about the Mortgage balance that is still unpaid? Do i nees a partial lien to sell the first condo after conversion? do you have any info about the case of carrying a Mortgage and doing conversion? Are there any banks/lenders that lend money to allow this kind of projects? Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you