Forums

Revenue Estimation Tool
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Revenue Estimation Tool

What STR revenue estimation tool (s) does everyone prefer? We used AirDNA for our first STR analysis and found that AirDNA data tends to be way higher. We ended up using a PM who manages many properties in the area and used his numbers as a reference. Now that we are looking in a new area, we pla...

Pearland / Friendswood house hackers: who rents your spare room for short stays?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Houston, Texas
Pearland / Friendswood house hackers: who rents your spare room for short stays?

I'm looking at short-stay demand south of Houston and have a theory I'd like to test against real experience. The Medical Center is just up 288 and Johnson Space Center is nearby. So I'd expect a lot of short stays in Pearland and Friendswood to come from people here for treatment, a job contract...

Offseason: midterm rental vs STR?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Hampstead, North Carolina
Offseason: midterm rental vs STR?

Beginning a furnished rental in Hampstead, NC that will be ready approximately mid-October. 2-bed/2-bath currently sleeps 4 but could push to 6-8 if better optimized that way. It's a small stand-alone newly renovated home across the road from the intercoastal waterway but currently with no water ...

Higher Interest Rates Are Turbocharging Short-Term Rental Profits, According to a ...
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Higher Interest Rates Are Turbocharging Short-Term Rental Profits, According to a ...
0 votes0 Replies
Is it wise/unwise to phase my listing?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Is it wise/unwise to phase my listing?

I have a 3 story cabin in the mountains. My plan was to do a total renovation and list as a 4bed/4 bath. Due to rising costs I was thinking of scaling back my renovation and leave the basement out of the mix for now. This would nix the bunkroom and game room portion and leave me with a 3 bed/3 ba...

more hours in your STR than you do?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
more hours in your STR than you do?

Had a conversation last month that I've now had some version of about a dozen times. Couple with W-2 jobs buys a cabin, puts it on Airbnb, gets a cost seg study done. Big paper loss, and they're counting on it to wipe out a chunk of their wages. So I ask the boring question: how many hours did yo...

1 votes0 Replies
STRs : habits of a performative host
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Miami, Florida
STRs : habits of a performative host

Hi all, I’d love to hear 3 habits you rely on in short-term rentals. To be more specific: once your property is ready, what are 3 things you do consistently to build demand? For example, how do you identify and segment your target guests so the property matches what they expect?

parking how important is it to have parking in a garage ?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
parking how important is it to have parking in a garage ?

I am in the process of selling what was a monthly rental and doing a 1031 into a new build which of course has attached garage etc. How important is it to have parking in the garage compared to just keeping the garage locked off and they park in the drive way or on the street. there is no HOA and...

Question for STR accountants / bookkeepers in the US
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Question for STR accountants / bookkeepers in the US

I run around 50 short-term rentals in Cyprus (European island)and I also offer finance support for other STR operators, mainly around owner statements, income and expenses, reconciliation, bank transactions, receipts etc. I’m currently looking more into the US market and would like to understand ...

Str licence renewal needs annual report from platforms, is this a normal ask?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Str licence renewal needs annual report from platforms, is this a normal ask?

Str licence renewal needs annual report from platforms, is this a normal ask? May have got a bit over in renting for str vs city limits.

The Best Short-Term Rental Market in Every State Ranked by Gross Yield
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
The Best Short-Term Rental Market in Every State Ranked by Gross Yield
0 votes0 Replies
House hack in Payson?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler Metro
House hack in Payson?

I have a Two floor rental in Payson that I'm considering selling that I've owned for about 5 years with long-term renter on top floor and short-term renter on bottom. I'm thinking about selling and wondering if I should try to rent to a new party on the top before selling or let the lease expire ...

AirBNB Cleaners - suggestions for Western New York
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
AirBNB Cleaners - suggestions for Western New York

We have a 5* AirBnB - but moved out of state and have been struggling getting cleaners that are doing a good job. We are on our 2nd cleaner in just 3 months - we are paying well above average and still aren't having any luck. Any suggestions?

How do you handle owner statements/commission splits if you co-host for other people?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
How do you handle owner statements/commission splits if you co-host for other people?

Anyone here co-hosting or managing STRs for other owners — how are you currently handling monthly owner statements and commission splits? Just eyeballing it in a shared spreadsheet, or is there actually a tool for this? I've looked and everything I find is either generic bookkeeping software or b...

Sevier County cabin buyers: does the STR permit survive your closing?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Sevier County cabin buyers: does the STR permit survive your closing?

I do due diligence on cabin and small-business deals in East Tennessee. On Sevier County STRs, the question I keep running into isn't "what does it gross?" It's "which permit is this, and does it survive my closing?" Here's what I've pulled from the county and city documents. I checked them in Oc...

How are you holding your housekeepers accountable?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
How are you holding your housekeepers accountable?

I am re-thinking some procedures for our housekeepers. We have had an unofficial checklist, but I am considering an "official" checklist. This would include bullet points of every item, and the housekeeper has to check all of the points off, sign, and date, then send to our manager. But...this is...

Negotiating with Terrorists
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Negotiating with Terrorists

We had a guest stay 8 days in a large cabin. Checked out on Saturday the 26th. Darn the luck that they didn't find "Black Mold" until the last day they were there, and want a partial refund. Said they started having symptoms when they got home. "I am just checking on your investigation findings. ...

Back from the Smokies: What I Saw
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Back from the Smokies: What I Saw

Spent a week in the Smokies, looking at properties, meeting with my team, visiting with merchants. Without exception, merchants say business has been down in 2026. The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is the ultimate bellwether, because they are busy regardless. But not as much in 2026, and the waitr...

Is Rental Arbitrage a good way to start investing?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Is Rental Arbitrage a good way to start investing?

Just wanted to know if rental arbitrage is a good way to start investing. I'm just asking this question, cause I'm new and don't have to much capital for a down payment on a property. I'm learning and want to continue to learn the right way. I'm really interested in Short-Term / Vacation Homes. T...

Cost for STR Cleaners that are fully insured
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Dallas, Texas
Cost for STR Cleaners that are fully insured

Hello, Looking to get some recommedations and quotes for a cleaner for a condo unit in Dallas (923sq ft, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom). They must be full insured (general liability and workers compensation). Thank you!

How do you deal with Guests smoking inside the House when there is non-smoking policy
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
How do you deal with Guests smoking inside the House when there is non-smoking policy

Our short term rentals have non-smoking policy. However some guests are smoking inside the house. When we discuss with guests or Airbnb or VRBO , there is no photo to prove as it is smell. It is only the strong smell and we can tell it is smoking or Weed. Also many times it is just our cleaners c...

Tested 7 smart locks across 3 STRs over 3 years — here's what surprised me
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Memphis, Tennessee
Tested 7 smart locks across 3 STRs over 3 years — here's what surprised me

I've been running short-term rentals for a few years now — two in Memphis and one in Northwest Indiana near the Indiana Dunes. Across that time and three different doors, I've installed, lived with, and in some cases returned seven different smart locks: Schlage Encode, Yale Assure Lock 2 (Wi-Fi)...

Dubai Short-Term Rental Market: What should a new investor know?
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai Short-Term Rental Market: What should a new investor know?

"Hi everyone, I am an investor based in Dubai with a background in E-commerce and Crypto. I am currently exploring the Short-Term Rental market here in the UAE. For those who have experience in STRs, what are the biggest challenges you face in Dubai compared to other markets? Any tips on regulati...

Is a grandfathered STR in a ban city worth the premium? (Plano example)
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Is a grandfathered STR in a ban city worth the premium? (Plano example)

Plano banned new short-term rentals in single-family neighborhoods but grandfathered those operating as of May 15, 2023. Texas SB 929 backs that up: cities have to let the existing use continue or compensate the owner. I ran one currently for sale: a 3/3 pool home at $449,900. At a $295 ADR and 6...

Mammoth Lakes - Fractional / Co-Ownership
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
Los Angeles, California
Mammoth Lakes - Fractional / Co-Ownership

Looking for like-minded investors and outdoor enthusiasts who may be interested in co-ownership of a SFH in Mammoth Lakes. 3-4 bedroom, 2+ bath, price range up to 1.1 mil. Looking for individuals willing to invest some capital for up front renovations if needed. We are CA natives living and worki...