Do I really need cable tv?

Do I really need cable tv?

Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 32 votes

New to us STR. Will be adding smart TV's. Do we really need cable TV service? Do you provide it for your guests? Any complaints if you do not?

0Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

Cable is only a few dollars a day. I wouldn't skimp on this unless you have an inexpensive place.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William LokarBusiness Member
    Realtor · Northeast TN and Central VA · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    I'll be honest, I have limited STR experience, but our one STR that we have had for a year hasn't seemed to suffer from no cable. We have Fire TV with Paramount+, Disney+, Netflix, Discovery+ which has been used by our tenants. I only had one comment from a tenant about no cable, but they also weren't aware that they could reboot a device by turning it off and back on, so I take that comment with a grain of salt. My recommendation would be not to do cable. Most of my LTR tenants are just using streaming service anyway.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers Most STR just have streaming services now. I feel users of AirBNB, VRBO are a little more tech savvy than the general public and are very accustomed to streaming services.

    I'm also a fan of the Roku/Android interface smart TVs vs SmartTV that have a proprietary interface like Samsung or Sony.  At least for me, the proprietary interfaces are much less user friendly than Roku/Android.  Also the proprietary interfaces aren't updated very often, so the interfaces seem like they were built in 2007.

  • Buford, GA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    If you decide on the streaming route make sure you have the bandwidth to support multiple streaming devices.  I have DISH at both of my STRs because bandwidth is an issue.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    We have only streaming services. We have a 12mb connection and you can stream on the 3 TV's at the same time. 

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    I’m new to investing but you can look into getting a digital antenna. I have one and it can catch all local channels plus many more and a lot are broadcasted in HD. In not sure if your location but I’ve included a link that allows you to check availability. Normally the antenna cost around $50 last I looked. 

    Ps I will say that this would be in addition to a streaming service but once you make initial investment it’s free!

    https://www.fcc.gov/media/engi...

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Cable is only a few dollars a day. I wouldn't skimp on this unless you have an inexpensive place.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Cable is only a few dollars a day. I wouldn't skimp on this unless you have an inexpensive place.


    I've never stayed in a STR that didn't offer cable or Satellite and they would not receive a friendly review from me if they didn't have it.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I'm going Roku....

    Guest mode, Pluto tv, rokus version of TV...and then all the popular apps. Guests can use their own log in or the free options.

    Only thing missing would be locals, but I don't that many people (in Kansas City for my use case) care about that.

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers

    The cabins we manage we leave it up the the individual owners. Some do and some don't. Honestly it makes no difference in our area as long as the listing states very clearly what is offered and what is not.

    Our personally owned cabins have everything including cable. We have alot of old timers as well and techies. We also have regular coffee makers as well as keurigs.!

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    We don't allow clients not to have cable.  If the cost of cable TV is moving your needle, you made a bad deal.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Awesome info folks thank you!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I use good WiFi and TVs with Roku built in. People can watch the free channels with commercials or log into their personal HULU, Netflix, etc.

    When we have a turnover, we always ensure the Roku is back on the home screen and not something another guest may find offensive. If I have time, I'll look at the most common apps to ensure a previous guest didn't leave their account logged in.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers I use YouTube TV with a Smart Sony TV. However my rental is not really a STR. More of a furnished MTR (min 30 days).

  • Investor · Marquette, MI · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I use a new Samsung Smart Tv .. it has Apple AirPlay and Chromecast built in. I only put a netflix subscription on it. Everyone has various subscriptions on their mobile devices and can stream whatever they want to the TV. The tv also has Samsung TV Plus which is free and has a ton of channels.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I use Firesticks on all my TVs. You can pick up any TV stations you want, plus all of the other services. Never any complaints. I find that STR guests do not come to watch TV anyway.....

  • Eric GoldmanBusiness Member
    Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 192 votes
    4y

    I think cable is good idea. I stayed at a higher end STR near NYC and it did not have cable. did not care but my father in law did. better to have than to not.

    everyone's different and you can not make everyone happy but cable seems like a basic thing. Personally, i don't have cable and i don't watch much tv other than for sports. 

    in the words of Joe dirt, its not what you like its the consumer. cant just have snakes and sparklers. 

    G2loans- Investor and Commercial Mortgages531 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers In my experience cable, Dish, it's all a waste of $. As @Bruce Woodruff said, people don't come to plop onto couch and watch TV all day. 

    I make sure TV is nice, has all the connected things for Amazon, Netflix etc. but I don't provide that, most people have there own and just sign in.    I do 1 thing and 1 only, Sling. it's cheap, cover so many bases, 1-and-done, pow. 

    Remember the KISS method, stands true. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    The last time I watched 'depressing' news via cable tv was in 2003. These days all 100% netflix/amazon prime if I watched tv. On my condotel rental, I had cable tv since it was provided by HOA. I still give my renter netflix account.

    I personally only watch something that makes me happy, and that's netflix.

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers

    I do not have str, but my good friend does, and he was asked to add cable by renters (vacation property). Many of his renters want to watch sporting events, so he ended up installing it.

  • Joshua MessingerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Poconos, PA · Member since 2020 · 443 posts · 264 votes
    4y

    Hey @Wesley Myers! 

    I believe it is a little overkill to have cable since all of the popular streaming services have a wide variety for people to choose from. Now if we were talking about an LTR I would say otherwise since they will be there for considerably longer.

    If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reach out! 

    Live Free,

    Josh

  • Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
    4y

    I'm actually surprised how many here favor having cable. I expected just about everyone to advise against it. 

    I guess it depends on your market and the reason people travel to the area and use your STR. Our cabin is in the Smokies and most travel there to hike and be outdoors, not watch TV. We have a Roku and we pay for a Netflix account for the cabin and have never had any complaints. Never had someone even mention cable.

    Maybe cable would be more preferred for a STR in a city or suburb?

  • Jennifer Jo McCallonBusiness Member
    Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 59 votes
    4y

    We just have streaming services. I don't have cable at home, either. There is so so much content available without cable. 

  • Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Sports are important especially during football season. We use a streaming tv service (sling or fubotv) on Roku tvs. I bring my own fire stick when I travel and my son only watches YouTube. Regular cable is out dated and not necessary in my opinion.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Kevin Luttrell cable is often about the sports so in the city or in an area where the focus isn't on hiking beach etc it probably makes more sense to have cable. We have no cable at home and had some guests come who were disappointed they couldn't see the celtics play. 

    @Wesley Myers smart TV may be good enough but if you have an older client pool or people focused on sports you might do cable too.

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Wesley Myers
    In my opinion, you need to think about it as a hotel business. How would you feel if you paid money to stay in a hotel and they didn't have cable and couldn't watch the game? It's not a deal-breaker, but it's kind of a letdown. It just reflects poorly in my opinion, as a customer experience. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.