Short Term Rental: King vs Queen Bed

Short Term Rental: King vs Queen Bed

Omaha, NE · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 7 votes

Looking for input on bed size for a short term rental space were working on currently.  The upstairs bedroom will fit a king bed but would only allow 12"-14" on each side.  One side will be an outer wall and the other side would be partially against a stairway railing.  Otherwise if we go with a queen bed we can have 20" - 22" on each side.

I know people prefer a King over a Queen as do I but wondering if we should stuff in the King or provide a smaller bed with better access around it.

For further consideration - We will have another Full/Twin bed in the main area.  Our intended guest would be a small family or a couple.  This will be a small space in the mountains with a very custom boutique type feel of lots of different wood and metal finishes.

Thanks,

Chris

1Reply
315 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

Use a Queen...no one will appreciate a King size bed if it makes the room feel like a closet.  When you have to go down a size, get a great mattress and upscale the bedding a bit.  It will make all the difference.

Best...

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    A Queen size bed is a great choice for any bedroom. It offers enough space to be comfortable without taking up too much of the room, making it easy to decorate with furniture and accessories. Plus, you can always upgrade your bedding to include luxurious fabrics and colors that will make your room feel even more special.

  • Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 283 votes
    3y

    Love the plethora of opinions you can get from soliciting a 'this or that' question on Bigger Pockets! 
    I'm on team KING! 

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @William Beck:

    Love the plethora of opinions you can get from soliciting a 'this or that' question on Bigger Pockets! 
    I'm on team KING! 


     I agree this is a great community!

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Chris Napierala- 2 smaller  beds  versus the one king

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 199 posts · 111 votes
    3y

    My wife and I sleep on a king. Anytime we travel, we want a king.

    In our 2/2 STR, we decided on two kings rather than a king and queen. If people are traveling with another couple, or friends, who decides on who gets the queen?

    We also wanted the beds to be more comfortable than the ones at our home. Vacation should be restful and relaxing, and comfortable, restful sleep is important.

    If a king fits, then king.

    Do you expect guests to spend a large amount of time in the bedroom aside from when they are sleeping? If not, then the "space around" the bed shouldn't matter much.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris Napierala Think about it this way the average foot will take up about 10.5 inches of the 13 inches you are allotting if you use a king.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Chris Napierala makes sense to go with a Queen bed vs. King. I also dislike not having enough room to move around in my room if the bed takes up most of the space. 

    Most people renting AirBnb's don't necessarily expect King mattresses... unless that's common in your market niche? I can't remember the last time I had a king bed even when paying for a hotel. 

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Thanks everyone for your responses this has been very helpful.  I think we are set to use a Queen.  As much as id like a King bed I don't want this space to seem crowded.  We are aiming towards hosting an experience just as much as a place to stay and I want the presentation of the room to be pleasing.  

    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

  • Interior Decorator · Charlotte NC · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    You need two feet of clearance around the beds. While we do prefer at least one king in a property, I wouldn't recommend it with those dimensions. 

  • Developer · Bend · Member since 2023 · 64 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    Good thread! I've been in Queen vs King war for a bit.  My current config: 

    Master bedroom: 2 queen
    Bedroom 2: 1 King
    Bedroom 3: 1 King
    Bedroom 4: 1 full sized bed

    I was considering reverting to this setup after a few said they would have liked a traditional master and more space in the smaller rooms:

    Master bedroom: 1 king
    Bedroom 2: 1 king
    Bedroom 3: 1 2 single beds
    Bedroom 4: full sized bed

    I have a few extra Queens, FWIW. 

    Should I swap the second king for a queen so there's more space or keep the king and a tighter layout? 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with everyone about the Queen since the room is tight.

    I have one room that has 2 Queens instead of 1 King. It makes us more money as we have a higher occupancy. 

  • Developer · Bend · Member since 2023 · 64 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I agree with everyone about the Queen since the room is tight.

    I have one room that has 2 Queens instead of 1 King. It makes us more money as we have a higher occupancy. 

    It's the same scenario as me. It depends on your demo. Are you catering to a cabin full of single people, trying to maximize occupancy? Or do you want to attract couples looking to relax in the home? Thats why there is no single correct answer. It just depends. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    This may be way too late, and I see many takes on the topic here but here is my two cents as an architectural designer and agent; do what makes most sense for your audience. You mentioned it is more of a design-minded retreat for a small family. If so, it sounds like you are trying to create an experience, and anytime you "stuff" anything into a room it is devaluing the experience. If this is supposed to be a retreat, you are essentially creating an escape from the day to day for your guest. and it should feel special, and considered. Much like a boutique hotel would design their rooms to feel special and considered. I'd ask myself; would I be happy if I was staying at a boutique hotel and the room felt this small? There is your answer. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.