Short term rental orlando versus Nashville

Short term rental orlando versus Nashville

Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes

I want to purchase a SFH (single family home) for short term rental, I am hesitating between Nashville and Orlando.

Which market is better for cash-flow (cash on cash return) , house affordability and/or appreciation?

I already have a SFH for long term rental in Orlando.

Thank you.

2Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McCormickPro Member
Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
3y

@Armel Bemmo Although I lived in Nashville many years ago, can't speak to it today. I have been in Orlando for 18 years and have many clients that do well in the STR space here. There are some things to consider though.

1. If you buy and ordinary property in a so so community, the competition will basically dictate your nightly rate and you will cap out.

2. If you buy too much house and don't know how to manage everything properly, you may wind up with bad reviews and hurt yourself. Also if you buy too big, and it takes you awhile to ramp up your bookings, you may get frustrated and not be able to cover your expenses.

3. If you buy a good house in the right community that has great amenities and location to Disney and invest to make it stand out (theming), hire great cleaners and stay involved with your guests, you can do well. 

That being said, this is a big market for STR and so many do very well and so many others just get lost in the shuffle. Orlando is made for this year round with so many other things besides Disney. Happy to discuss further or answer specific questions if you have them.

Best of luck to you!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    I want to purchase a SFH (single family home) for short term rental, I am hesitating between Nashville and Orlando.

    Which market is better for cash-flow (cash on cash return) , house affordability and/or appreciation?

    I already have a SFH for long term rental in Orlando.

    Thank you.


     I thought I saw something recently about new restrictions in the Nashville area for short-term rentals? The market for short-term rentals in the Disney area is likely well solidified. However to have great returns in the Orlando area you need to go bigger and make sure that you have really good theming and design in your property. If your local to Orlando there's a great short-term rental specific Meetup that happens once a month.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    I live in Nashville but do not invest here if that tells you anything.  I invest heavily in the Smoky Mountains.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Orlando is more STR friendly. Don't try and swim upstream.

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    3y

    @Armel Bemmo Although I lived in Nashville many years ago, can't speak to it today. I have been in Orlando for 18 years and have many clients that do well in the STR space here. There are some things to consider though.

    1. If you buy and ordinary property in a so so community, the competition will basically dictate your nightly rate and you will cap out.

    2. If you buy too much house and don't know how to manage everything properly, you may wind up with bad reviews and hurt yourself. Also if you buy too big, and it takes you awhile to ramp up your bookings, you may get frustrated and not be able to cover your expenses.

    3. If you buy a good house in the right community that has great amenities and location to Disney and invest to make it stand out (theming), hire great cleaners and stay involved with your guests, you can do well. 

    That being said, this is a big market for STR and so many do very well and so many others just get lost in the shuffle. Orlando is made for this year round with so many other things besides Disney. Happy to discuss further or answer specific questions if you have them.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Gibson

    Thank you for your feedback. Please do you know a specific STR meetup which will be helpful ?

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Leslie Anne Morris

    Thank you for this information. Any interesting areas to invest in smoky mountains?

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood

    Thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Shawn McCormick

    Yes I will be glad to get in touch with you for further information if you don’t mind. You could inbox me. Thank you

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I think you are getting the gist of things @Armel Bemmo. Good luck on your search!

  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    @Tyler Gibson

    Thank you for your feedback. Please do you know a specific STR meetup which will be helpful ?


     I'll send you a message.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    @Leslie Anne Morris

    Thank you for this information. Any interesting areas to invest in smoky mountains?

    The whole area is hot. Look for something with a view that is within 20 minutes to the attractions. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Armel Bemmo

    It would be tough to get someone that invests in STRs in both markets to give you an accurate unbiased opinion.

    I'll just let you know about Nashville as it's my home market. There are STRs available, and it's a very hot tourist market. It is expensive to get into and my guess is Orlando will be a cheaper and more accessible market for STRs. 

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Be cautious of restrictions on Nashville. Orlando is more STR friendly.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    I want to purchase a SFH (single family home) for short term rental, I am hesitating between Nashville and Orlando.

    Which market is better for cash-flow (cash on cash return) , house affordability and/or appreciation?

    I already have a SFH for long term rental in Orlando.

    Thank you.


    for appreciation check zillow
    for airbnb check the number of airbnb superhost and future 30 days booking, that's my metrics in real time. 

    The problem that I always seen here in BP is that some of you guys think if you build another hilton next to hilton you will get the same return, if you think like that better put money in CD LOL :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    @Leslie Anne Morris

    Thank you for this information. Any interesting areas to invest in smoky mountains?

    Definitely. Feel free to DM me
  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    If you're looking for a STR friendly city, Orlando is the place to go. Swimming upstream against the rules and regulations can be difficult and time-consuming so it's best to stick with what works in your favor. Doing your research ahead of time will save you lots of trouble! Good luck!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Armel Bemmo:

    I want to purchase a SFH (single family home) for short term rental, I am hesitating between Nashville and Orlando.

    Which market is better for cash-flow (cash on cash return) , house affordability and/or appreciation?

    I already have a SFH for long term rental in Orlando.

    Thank you.


     We are in Tampa and a lot of people book houses here as it is basically halfway between Gulf Coast beaches and Orlando (stay in FL for a week and split time between beaches and Disney).  Tampa is easier on the laws and restrictions than Orlando.  Just something to consider!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    I'm more bullish on Central FL for Short Term Rentals for a lot of reasons, but the year-round market and the fact that you already own property in Orlando seems to make this a no-brainer. 

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Michael Baum

    Thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Michael Baum

    Thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Gibson

    Ok thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood

    Good to know. Thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Luka Milicevic

    Thank you

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Brooklyn McCarty

    Yes I heard about that , in addition to that homes in Nashville seem more expensive than Orlando.

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    Lol!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.