Streaming services in your STR?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
3y

We put full cable via box on the main living room TV and then streaming capabilities via Smart TVs in every other room or area where a TV makes sense. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 763 posts · 500 votes
    3y

    We allow guests to use their own through a Firestick with guest logins. They can set the end date of their stay so after that date the accounts are automatically logged out of and there will be no worry of the next guest messing with their accounts.

  • Dwayne GhantPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 53 posts · 23 votes
    3y

    I agree with @Karl McGarvey. If your STR has a data-connection (verizon, satellite, Comcast etc.) then simply providing and wireless access point is simple. Also, if you have smart TV's in the STR, then tenants can simply login to their own paid service (Netflix, Youtube, Rumble, Hulu) with their private credentials, and logout when they leave.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    We put full cable via box on the main living room TV and then streaming capabilities via Smart TVs in every other room or area where a TV makes sense. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 198 votes
    3y

    I don't pay for them, but I have smart TV which has all the apps.   The client just needs to sign in.

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    We put full cable via box on the main living room TV and then streaming capabilities via Smart TVs in every other room or area where a TV makes sense. 

    Yes! People need to stop being cheap and provide cable tv. It’s part of the whole “hospitality” thing.
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Solomon:

    Staying in an airbnb today, no steaming services / live tv options available.

    Do you provide these in your personal strs? Just curious. 


     No, they log in

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    3y

    We provide a smart TV so the guests can log in to their own profile. Having one profile for the property and many different guests could be problematic with different peoples' viewing tastes. 

  • Ricky A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 112 votes
    3y

    We use Roku TVs and provide live TV via cable/DirecTV boxes.  Rokus are in Guest Mode, and guests can log into their own streaming services if they want anything more than live TV. 

    I'm a bit old-school, and I think that live TV is a minimum. Not everybody uses a streaming service for their own home, so not everyone will have an account they can use when they're staying in an STR. For that reason, we provide it. Given how Guest Mode works, we use actual boxes, so we don't have to provide log-in credentials for a live TV streaming service provided by us.

    BTW, I've never stayed in an STR that didn't have live TV...and if my parents ever had to, I know what rating they would give it! :)

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with most people here.  We provide a Roku smart TV or stick with guest login and all of the apps set up so people can use their own logins.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    We use Roku TV's and people just log in with their accounts.

    We don't provide cable TV as it isn't available and DISH is spotty at best. In 5 years no one has commented on the lack of cable TV.

    With the lake right out the front door it is hard to stay inside and streaming services have everything anyone needs for the small amount of downtime.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    We put full cable via box on the main living room TV and then streaming capabilities via Smart TVs in every other room or area where a TV makes sense. 


     100%  The cable aspect gives the guest the ability to check local weather news and sports.  

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    BYOP: Bring Your Own Password 

    We provide Roku TV’s & guests bring their own passwords. 3 years in and it’s never been an issue. 

    Noted several places in our listings so guests are aware. 


  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I provide cable or Satellite. I have upscale places and don't skimp here. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Roku Smart TVs. Guests log in to their own apps. I've only had one guest one time ask about live tv, and it was because they wanted to watch one of the world cup games. Otherwise not a single person has mentioned it at all. 

    I am leaning towards including Youtube TV in mine if I switch my own at home, because you get 4 or 5 streams with your account and we only ever use one at a time. But I'm in a high tourist area and I think most of my guests spend their days at the parks (Orlando/Disney). I have a smart Samsung range that gives me alerts when it's being used and I am not joking when I tell you it's only been turned on 3 times in the past 6 months. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dave Stokley:
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    We put full cable via box on the main living room TV and then streaming capabilities via Smart TVs in every other room or area where a TV makes sense.

    Yes! People need to stop being cheap and provide cable tv. It’s part of the whole “hospitality” thing.

     
    honestly, it’s not about money. Cable just feels dated to me


  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    All our TVs are Smart or have Roku to allow guests to use their streaming services.  They all have standard cable channels.

  • Slidell, LA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    I stayed in a Airbnb in the Philippines and it had a smart TV with Netflix.

    Another Airbnb I stayed at in Atlanta had cable TV.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I haven't used cable TV for 15 years. Strong WiFi and smart TV is all you need and what more people expect. Smart TVs still have live TV for people that enjoy watching commercials.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Solomon:

    Staying in an airbnb today, no steaming services / live tv options available.

    Do you provide these in your personal strs? Just curious. 

    always, I need netflix 24 hours.
  • Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    We have smart tvs in bedrooms/living room. We offer streaming tv service (fubotv). They can use their own Netflix etc if they desire.

  • Rental Property Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 101 votes
    3y

    Roku TV and Dish Subscription for us. Guests can login to their accounts if they wish. We didn't have internet until a year after we started so we needed to provide something. Dish was fairly inexpensive ($75/mo) so we have kept it. 

  • Lender · Member since 2020 · 331 posts · 209 votes
    3y

    Same! We offer great wifi, smart TVs in all rooms and guests use their logins for streaming services. Have never had an issue!

  • Real Estate Agent · Dawsonville, GA · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 144 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Solomon

    Just like basically all of the other posters we have Roku TVs in guest mode so it will automatically sign them out upon checkout. Pretty cool.

    That said I’ve wrestled with cable myself Bc when I’m at a hotel, I do like having cable news and hgtv which I don’t have at my house.

    But I’m 2+ years active no one out of 3 units has ever complained about not having cable, kind of surprises me tbh! I guess they are accustomed to the diy Airbnb login situation as it’s pretty standard. And you do have the free live tv options on the smart TVs with all the random B / C grade programming ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Roku TV's are cheap to put in. 

  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    I found that smart TVs are soooo much simpler that trying to figure out weird TV/receiver setups that demand 3 controllers to operate. 

    I almost assume/expect an Airbnb to have a smart tv setup now. We stayed at a cabin that had the 3 controller/cable setup, and my kids were super lost, and even I found it difficult to navigate. No comparison to having 1 Roku remote and picking up right where you left off

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.