Investor · Northern Jersey · Member since 2022 · 50 posts · 11 votes
Hi All, I am looking to see if I rent my basement as Airbnb/ STR while I live in the property. Is it legal to do it on a Mortgaged Property with PMI on it ?
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
@Zach Edelman brings up a good point. It is likely not an issue at all but the issue could more be you living there than someone else, if it is classified as an investment property mortgage. If not you are good to go!
Real Estate Agent · Outer Banks, NC · Member since 2019 · 168 posts · 116 votes
3y
I don’t see why there would be any reason for it to be illegal to do so. Just like you are allowed to rent a room to a tenant in your mortgaged home. After they close the loan, and you are making on time payments , rarely do they ever look back into anything anyways.
Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
3y
Hi Joval, I rent out a part of my mortgaged primary residence as a furnished rental. I haven't seen stipulations around renting out a property that is mortgaged; however, check with your HOA (if you have one) to ensure short term rentals are permitted.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y
@Joval Mathai
This is not a question about having a mortgage it’s a question about whether your zoning bylaws allow it. You have to check with local ordinances to see if it can be done
This is not a question about having a mortgage it’s a question about whether your zoning bylaws allow it. You have to check with local ordinances to see if it can be done
What Chris said. Make sure you let them know you will be occupying the str. Owner occupied seems to be a lot less restrictive, as an overall generalization. It sounds like a great plan!
Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
As long as there is no language in the loan docs stating that you can't occupy the subject property (I know this is the case for DSCR), then you should be good.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
@Zach Edelman brings up a good point. It is likely not an issue at all but the issue could more be you living there than someone else, if it is classified as an investment property mortgage. If not you are good to go!