Sold Florida STR - 1031 or Cash Out???

Sold Florida STR - 1031 or Cash Out???

Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes

Looking for advice on best strategy/next step following sale of a home we owned in Florida as an STR.

Background: Sold 3bed/3bth home, have approx $600k equity. Funds currently being held by QI. 

Option 1: 1031 into another STR, target price $1.1-1.4m. Would want min 3 bed/3 bath, located in FL/TN/SC/NC/GA. Either close to water/beach, or in scenic/mountain area. Have always owned homes but would consider a condo with an amazing view or unique features. Familiar with FL and have been looking in Tampa area, Naples/Ft Myers, 30A, Space coast, and Jacksonville areas. Numbers in FL are not looking great with insurance/taxes/HOA fees/etc for cash flow but willing to focus more on just breaking even (or close to even) and having significant long term appreciation.

Option 2: take the cash, pay 20% long term capital gains and wait as market continues to dip for a prime buying opportunity.

Would greatly appreciate insight/advice from those much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself. Thanks in advance!



4Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

1031 exchange ALL DAY!

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    2y

    HI James, I appreciate option 2 being an option..plenty of examples of investors rushing to use their 1031X and the investment losing more than they 'saved.' 

    How was your STR experience? Luxury STR's can really perform exceptionally, I've heard St Augustine is a strong market, can't go wrong with anything Naples..Savannah is also a hot spot. A major component our luxury STR clients the moment are loan terms. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for a preferred jumbo lending program that's really improved investors incentive and cash flow.

    Good luck! 

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Realtor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2021 · 111 posts · 51 votes
    2y

    Hey @James Thompson Such a personal question, but coming from a realtor and investor in FL, most of our markets are pretty depressed and therefore finding lots of great buying opportunities now. I personally don't think that will last if rates drop and people jump back in, so I'd say reinvest while prices are "low" right now. 

    But you're 100% right that insurance and taxes are absolutely crushing the Florida market. BUT you can mitigate that by buying outside of an HOA and a newer home which will give you more affordable insurance.

    Good luck man!

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @AJ Wong my prior STR experience was with a home that rented well, but was getting to the point where major upgrades/renovations were going to be needed in the near future to keep it in the "mid luxury" market. As an out of state investor, I made the decision to pull my equity out as construction costs in the area are incredibly high with limited availability right now.

    I completely agree that luxury rentals would be my prime target for a 1031. Appreciate the recs!

    @Samuel Boyd what are some of the best buying opportunities in my desired price range in your opinion? I’ve looked at the Melbourne area and would be happy to connect offline to learn more.

    I go back and forth between a luxury condo (pros are easier to manage, less maintenance: cons high HOAs, limited STR rules) or a newer built home (pros are larger space, more private, higher appreciation potential: cons higher insurance, more maintenance, more upkeep, more services like lawn care/pool cleaners/etc needed). I've found older homes in flood zones (while location may be great) have insurance and tax costs that might be in the $30-40k+/yr range and destroy returns.

  • Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2019 · 370 posts · 330 votes
    2y

    Hey James,

    I would avoid luxury condos. In my opinion, some associations have way too much control and tend to take advantage of the out of state investors (not all of course).

    Is your preference to purchase another STR if a 1031 is the play?

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    1031 exchange ALL DAY!

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Ryan Cleary I tend to agree with your thoughts - the ease of management/no maintenance was why I was looking into the 3bed+ luxury condo market.

    I would prefer to get a STR in an area that we like to vacation a few times a year, using the revenue to subsidize the cost of ownership (which is why appreciation potential is more important to me than monthly cash flow).

    Finding a newer luxury home that is walking distance to a nice beach in my price range has been challenging. Been finding a lot of older/smaller homes that either need a ton of rehab (which I don’t want to do right now), in a flood zone with crazy insurance costs, or far from a beach.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Rule #1 - never be a forced buyer or forced seller. 

    Give a 1031 a shot, but don't let the tax savings force you into something. There are SO many things worse than paying a big tax bill. 

    I know that the spreadsheet warriors may disagree, but there is some value in being very liquid sitting on a pile of cash/index funds/interest bearing investments. There is some added security; you can't buy groceries with equity. Personal finance is as much dopamine, serotonin, and cortisol as it is spreadsheets and ROI.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I have recently been working more buyers on the luxury end in Tampa lately and have a list of great potential properties. Being on the higher end of things helps with less competition, CoC returns 8-15%+ definitely still more than possible!

  • Banker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2023 · 316 posts · 74 votes
    2y

    Hi James, 

    The demand in FL still remains high for investor buyers due to location and elevated rental rates. 

    Rates have improved this week.  If your in a position to put 25% or more down on the purchase you can get very favorable terms on a investment product. 

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Travis Timmons completely agree! Part of why I wanted to post this topic is many people don’t even consider taking the hit on taxes, and instead feel forced to jump into a bad situation. Nobody wants to pay more taxes but I am concerned with current market conditions and really appreciate everyone’s insight.

    @Joseph Chiofalo yes I would be putting 50% down - what rates are you seeing currently? Would be fine with a 10 year arm or 30 year fixed product.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Thompson:

    @Travis Timmons completely agree! Part of why I wanted to post this topic is many people don’t even consider taking the hit on taxes, and instead feel forced to jump into a bad situation. Nobody wants to pay more taxes but I am concerned with current market conditions and really appreciate everyone’s insight.

    @Joseph Chiofalo yes I would be putting 50% down - what rates are you seeing currently? Would be fine with a 10 year arm or 30 year fixed product.

    Why would you not do the 1031 exchange option based on the way you outlined the scenario above (acquire an appreciating asset, defer taxes)? Also at 50% down you are going to get rates in likely the high 6's to low 7's currently on a 30 year loan. 

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zach Edelman:
    Quote from @James Thompson:

    @Travis Timmons completely agree! Part of why I wanted to post this topic is many people don’t even consider taking the hit on taxes, and instead feel forced to jump into a bad situation. Nobody wants to pay more taxes but I am concerned with current market conditions and really appreciate everyone’s insight.

    @Joseph Chiofalo yes I would be putting 50% down - what rates are you seeing currently? Would be fine with a 10 year arm or 30 year fixed product.

    Why would you not do the 1031 exchange option based on the way you outlined the scenario above (acquire an appreciating asset, defer taxes)? Also at 50% down you are going to get rates in likely the high 6's to low 7's currently on a 30 year loan. 

    I have found what I think is a good passive 1031 option where you can earn 15% and then get out in a year and 1031 into something else. It’s good if you want to go passive or just park your 1031 equity while you take your time and look for something (assuming you can’t find anything now). 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 569 posts · 257 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Thompson:

    Looking for advice on best strategy/next step following sale of a home we owned in Florida as an STR.

    Background: Sold 3bed/3bth home, have approx $600k equity. Funds currently being held by QI. 

    Option 1: 1031 into another STR, target price $1.1-1.4m. Would want min 3 bed/3 bath, located in FL/TN/SC/NC/GA. Either close to water/beach, or in scenic/mountain area. Have always owned homes but would consider a condo with an amazing view or unique features. Familiar with FL and have been looking in Tampa area, Naples/Ft Myers, 30A, Space coast, and Jacksonville areas. Numbers in FL are not looking great with insurance/taxes/HOA fees/etc for cash flow but willing to focus more on just breaking even (or close to even) and having significant long term appreciation.

    Option 2: take the cash, pay 20% long term capital gains and wait as market continues to dip for a prime buying opportunity.

    Would greatly appreciate insight/advice from those much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself. Thanks in advance!




     Start looking into 1031 exchanges and good entry points. 30A has adjusted and so has PCB. If you can buy brand new at close to production cost turn key... thats a huge win for long term appreciation. Recently we helped a few investors buy for 20% below the peak with extra concessions. 

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tyler M.:
    Quote from @Zach Edelman:
    Quote from @James Thompson:

    @Travis Timmons completely agree! Part of why I wanted to post this topic is many people don’t even consider taking the hit on taxes, and instead feel forced to jump into a bad situation. Nobody wants to pay more taxes but I am concerned with current market conditions and really appreciate everyone’s insight.

    @Joseph Chiofalo yes I would be putting 50% down - what rates are you seeing currently? Would be fine with a 10 year arm or 30 year fixed product.

    Why would you not do the 1031 exchange option based on the way you outlined the scenario above (acquire an appreciating asset, defer taxes)? Also at 50% down you are going to get rates in likely the high 6's to low 7's currently on a 30 year loan. 

    I have found what I think is a good passive 1031 option where you can earn 15% and then get out in a year and 1031 into something else. It’s good if you want to go passive or just park your 1031 equity while you take your time and look for something (assuming you can’t find anything now). 

    @Tyler M. can you send me some info on that option? 

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @James Thompson, take a look at 204 Cherry Drive, Melbourne Beach.  It is one block to the ocean, with a high lot.  

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kerry Baird:

    @James Thompson, take a look at 204 Cherry Drive, Melbourne Beach.  It is one block to the ocean, with a high lot.  

    @Kerry Baird that’s funny, that property did come up in one of my searches last week!

    This house does have potential but will need a lot of updates (and money), both in the immediate and long term future in order to make it what I am looking for. These updates kill the ROI in my calculations/projections.


  • Greenacres, FL · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 14 votes
    2y

    I have the same thing going on right now. In a condo that I am getting ready to sell and I am contemplating taking the cash vs 1031 Exchange. Still haven't made up my mind but here is what I can offer. 

    The market in Florida is what it is, but the HOA drag down I would try to stay away from. There is going to be a big shift in the market when Florida starts to force HOA's to have full reserves.

    Don't limit yourself to 3 BR's, I believe the more bedrooms the higher the rental price so I try to use that when searching!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @James Thompson I can think of $100,000 reasons you might want to reinvest and 1031 into a new property/properties. You might be better off purchasing multiple properties with the proceeds and give your self a greater potential for multiple streams of cash. later down the road you can do another 1031.  Or cash out refi into another attractive property you would want instead of losing all that tax and using only what's left of the proceeds to reinvest. Thats a steep price just to wait out an uncertain market.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.