Almost every host has experienced it, a high maintenance guest that you go the extra mile for and reports nothing wrong during the stay, but then posts a hyper critical review as if they are Gordon Ramsay reviewing a restaurant.
I have always opted to just not post a reply, especially since we have over 50 great reviews on both sites. I assume most people are able to see through the pickiness of a couple high maintenance people when the rest of the reviews are stellar.
But lately I've been wondering if I should reply to these reviews and what the best approach is. I always worry that correcting them or trying to contradict them will come off as condescending and do more damage than the review itself.
How do you all handle reviews like this?
Brandon, I totally get where you're coming from. Dealing with unreasonable reviews, especially when you’ve done your best, can be frustrating. Your instinct not to reply is valid, especially since you already have a strong base of positive reviews. Most prospective guests can indeed see through an overly picky critique.
However, there are ways to respond to critical reviews that maintain professionalism and avoid coming off as defensive:
In the end, trust that your positive reviews will outshine the rare picky one. Being selective about when and how you respond is often more powerful than addressing every single critique.
@Brandon Gale other than a destructive guest, this is the worst part of hosting.
I've devised a guest feedback system ("Review Intercept") that I'd be happy to show you.
The concept is to intercept reviews by surveying guests upon check-out. If they indicate they will leave a positive review, the survey will direct them to the proper OTA to leave that positive review.
If they indicate they will leave less than a 5-star review, trigger an email to the host/assistant for immediate follow-up. This effectively intercepts a negative review before it happens, allowing you to identify if something can truly be done to bridge the experience gap.
Some guests just want to feel extra special or important, and the best you can do is smooth things over and move on to the next.
Brandon, I totally get where you're coming from. Dealing with unreasonable reviews, especially when you’ve done your best, can be frustrating. Your instinct not to reply is valid, especially since you already have a strong base of positive reviews. Most prospective guests can indeed see through an overly picky critique.
However, there are ways to respond to critical reviews that maintain professionalism and avoid coming off as defensive:
In the end, trust that your positive reviews will outshine the rare picky one. Being selective about when and how you respond is often more powerful than addressing every single critique.
Brandon, I totally get where you're coming from. Dealing with unreasonable reviews, especially when you’ve done your best, can be frustrating. Your instinct not to reply is valid, especially since you already have a strong base of positive reviews. Most prospective guests can indeed see through an overly picky critique.
However, there are ways to respond to critical reviews that maintain professionalism and avoid coming off as defensive:
In the end, trust that your positive reviews will outshine the rare picky one. Being selective about when and how you respond is often more powerful than addressing every single critique.
This is 100% spot on.
Absolutely leave a comment.
If it violates Vrbo or Airbnb rules then ask to have the review removed.
I think @Noah Wright's response is great.
I tell our STR and Airbnb investors in Colorado that the audience for a response is not the just-departed guest at all. Your only audience is future guests.
With that in mind, use the response to showcase how reasonable and responsive you are. Acknowledge their trouble and express interest in correcting any issues for future guests.
I'd say there's room for some pushback. If they didn't respond kindly to sincere attempts to fix the problem, I'd mention your attempts. But keep it short. Don't get into the weeds.
I would always recommend replying. I feel like if you reply you have cast doubt on their claims (especially since many bad reviews make bogus claims). Then if that bad review with a response is surrounded by many good reviews, it will usually get overlooked. But I feel when booking all sorts of things that unanswered bad reviews feel like confessions from the seller/owner/etc. that the review is correct.
Some landlords and sellers hire companies to threaten to sue people who leave bad reviews if they can't back up their assertions. That feels really slimy to me so I wouldn't do that. But I do really like @Jesse Turner's idea of "review intercept" for catching bad reviews before they're posted so you can try to change their mind.
You should definitely be consistently asking for reviews from happy customers. Even offer them something to review (not a bribe to give a good review, just something to give a reveiw; most of which will be good).
Exactly what @Noah Wright said and I would double down on #2. I find that if you look long and hard, even an unreasonable guest review usually has a modicum of truth to it. While it is hard to sometimes take, and we go overboard to compensate, acknowledge anything that might have gone not so well, show future guests that you are aware and will fix whatever they may have complained about, thank them and move on. You can't change the past but you can certainly take what you are given and improve.
Lots of great advice here! I think it’s important to respond to the hyper critical reviews instead of leaving them unanswered.
Apologize their stay didn’t meet their expectations that your goal is guest satisfaction therefore feedback is essential…. you’ve dispatched a local team to property to check items mentioned and make corrections. For example, use a complaint guest had and turn it into a positive. ‘I apologize about the issue with the vertical blinds, we will be addressing that immediately.‘
Most folks reading these reviews can decipher an over-the-top critical review from what’s reasonable. We have a note in property stating for guests to contact us within first 24 hours should there be any concerns. My preference is to reach out to guests a few hours after check-in to see if they’re settling in okay & make sure all is well. This is when most guests will observe any issues, and it can be nipped in the bud right away.
Anyhow, I feel like guest feedback, good and bad, only helps make one a better host!
On VRBO, you can say almost anything and I had a guest violate almost all of my house rules and when I called him out on it, his reaction told me that we were going to get a bad review.
Sure enough, he wrote a lying, scathing one star review, but I also did the same of him. Guess what? He read my one star review of him and called VRBO to complain. I had already presented all of the guest violations to VRBO customer service. VRBO CS told him, if you don't like his review, we can ask the host to take it down, but you in turn will need to take down yours. Guess what? He sent a message on the platform apologizing and said that he was retaliating against me for presenting camera evidence of him breaking our house rules. Both reviews came down.
I've also written reviews that have been accurate, truthful and harsh of other guests, because I want future guests to read it and book somewhere else, if they think that's wrong. It's never hurt our business one tiny bit. One future guest said that they read one of our bad guest reviews (they are very rare in 11 years hosting) and was glad that we called out the guest's bad behavior. Tells prospective guests too that if they plan on having a loud drunken party, our house is NOT the place to do it, so it works as a screening tool.
I even had a guest BEG for me to remove my accurate and honest review. Even offered to pay money to do so. I reported her profile to Airbnb and my review stayed up, but she took down her 5-star review of our property. Don't care. I won't be held hostage for a review.
I just had a guest threaten to write a bad review, if he didn't get his money back. It's documented on the Airbnb messaging platform. A total liar looking for a free place to stay. Just before the review period expires, he's going to get a rude awakening when he reads my honest review of him. Airbnb already said that if he gives us a review of less than 4 stars, they will take it down, because he threatened us. Total liar looking for a free stay (checked in one night, before he was supposed to also). Again, I won't be held hostage for a review.
I think that it's a disservice to other hosts to not stand up to these abusers of these platforms. If someone, before me had written an honest review, it could have saved me a headache.
Like I said, it is rare, but these abusers need to be called out. The review system is supposed to go both ways.
Superhost 11 years in a row and counting. 'Guest Favorite' badges on all of our listings. Overall rating of all properties of 4.95. These results represent A LOT of hard work and the algorithm loves us for it.
Bad reviews are a part of it. If they were ALL glowing, then the reviews wouldn't be credible. Don't worry about it and move on.
Brandon, I totally get where you're coming from. Dealing with unreasonable reviews, especially when you’ve done your best, can be frustrating. Your instinct not to reply is valid, especially since you already have a strong base of positive reviews. Most prospective guests can indeed see through an overly picky critique.
However, there are ways to respond to critical reviews that maintain professionalism and avoid coming off as defensive:
In the end, trust that your positive reviews will outshine the rare picky one. Being selective about when and how you respond is often more powerful than addressing every single critique.
I completely agree with Noah's response above.
For our properties, we take it a step further by including a note about reviews in both our check-in and check-out messages. We emphasize that 5-star ratings are crucial to our property's success and ask guests to notify us immediately if anything is unsatisfactory upon arrival so we can resolve it quickly. This approach has been incredibly helpful, as many guests aren't aware of how damaging a 4-star rating and below can be, especially given the way review prompts are framed for them.
@Noah Wright,
Your answer was a perfect breakdown. Thank you.
Mike
Seems like people are mostly split on whether they respond to reviews or not.
Some awesome feedback/ideas though,
@Jesse Turner really interesting idea sending a survey to guests before review. I'm sure in alot of cases with high maintenance guests it gives them their chance to feel special and give their opinions so maybe they won't feel as much need to go to the platform reviews. Plus if there actually was a significant issue you can find our about it then and send a partial refund in cases where it's warranted. I may try something like that.
For when you do respond @Noah Wright that is am amazing breakdown of how to write a good reply that won't come off as condescending to other guests.
We have responded to reviews in the past, typically when it is actually helpful feedback and we address the issue so we can let future guests know it's resolved and that we actively listen to feedback. This post was more for cases of extremely ridiculous reviews like 4 stars because "one of the bedroom doors was squeaky and the outdoor outlet wasn't close enough to charge our Tesla."
For this case I think I'm going to opt for no response, because the review was so ridiculous that future guests will probably recognize it, but alot of great ideas and feedback here for cases where you do need to respond!
We 100% respond to every review - good or bad. Do not be argumentative or combative but professional.
This might be a really bad tip, but one thing thats really helped with my frustrations is using ChatGPT to write responses to those particular type of guests 😂 I’ve noticed doing that is much less emotionally draining than thinking out a diplomatic, compassionate response to an unreasonable person.
I feel like it needs to be mentioned that this is definitely not something I use for any legitimate issues, I’m not a complete monster lol.
This might be a really bad tip, but one thing thats really helped with my frustrations is using ChatGPT to write responses ...
WOW this is super smart. Plus, as long as you're addressing legitimate concerns and providing good service where it counts, finding a way to keep the stress in check is essential for staying positive in the business! Thanks for sharing the tip, it might help others maintain their sanity too!
Bad reviews are a part of it. If they were ALL glowing, then the reviews wouldn't be credible. Don't worry about it and move on.
Bad reviews are a part of it. If they were ALL glowing, then the reviews wouldn't be credible. Don't worry about it and move on.
The high number of 5-star reviews is ridiculous. I've stayed in STR with hundreds of 5-star reviews and the homes were mediocre, at best. Broken appliances, missing basics like a cork screw, no artwork on the walls and cold, ratty furniture that was clearly second-hand, noisy neighbors, and more.
@Brandon Gale you can see my company name in my signature. Check out my Google reviews and look at the negative ones. Instead of trying to remove them, I write responses that are professional and factual. It turns their negative review into an opportunity to educate the public on how we deal with difficult customers, which reflects well on us.
My only 4-star review was from a guest who wrote a glowing review about the place, the host and the neighborhood- then gave us 4-star, lowering our rating. What can I do with that?
Every market is different, but in New Orleans there are two types of guests:
1) Guests looking for a dirt cheap place to stay and don't care where it is, but will complain about the tiniest little things, when in most cases the Airbnb is much nicer than their own home.
2) Guests looking for a unique stay in a real neighborhood (how Airbnb started, until investors of faceless LLCs started to gobble up and change the fabric of these neighborhoods). This group is comprised of guests looking for an experience who appreciate what a host has put into their investment. They realize that these hosts are real people, because they respond with real messages and not automated ones. They believe that they are very fortunate to be able to stay in your property and are thankful for the experience.
Our target market is group #2 and it has served us very well. In the last 11 years as hosts, it has been rare that we get less than a 5 star review, because guests know that we have gone above and beyond and they appreciate it. The guests who violate our rules, check in before they should etc., they are going to get the accurate, honest review that they earned, not some lame response like, "We're sorry that you felt like checking in one night early, was not appropriate". You as a host are going to apologize for a guest's bad behavior and accept their one star review, because you're afraid that other guests might think that you're "unprofessional" for calling them out on it?
I have seen these pathetic signs in neglected, rundown Airbnbs with 5-star ratings that say something lame like, "Airbnb has made it increasingly difficult for us to earn a living and anything less that a 5-star review is a bad review. Please be considerate of this and if you can't give us a 5-star review, then please don't leave any review."
That's so pathetic.
I don't know if there are other hosts out there who get invited to Airbnb events and webinars for their feedback and input, but we do. We were just invited and attended the new release of Airbnb's upcoming platform changes. There were hosts from all over the world in the chat. Eighty percent of the "upgrades" were to the guest experience, but at least Airbnb is staying ahead of their competition by doing this.
Multiple 5 stars over a sustained period of time speaks for itself in my book. If its just nit picking my manager doesnt respond. If something he feels does require a response he is always professional and respectful.
A guy I know opened a restaurant and got numerous bad reviews back to back. His response was if you dont like it take yo azz to Texas Road House.
PSA: Dont do that.....................
Multiple 5 stars over a sustained period of time speaks for itself in my book. If its just nit picking my manager doesnt respond. If something he feels does require a response he is always professional and respectful.
A guy I know opened a restaurant and got numerous bad reviews back to back. His response was if you dont like it take yo azz to Texas Road House.
PSA: Dont do that.....................
I agree Mark. A legitimate bad review needs to be taken very seriously. Back to back bad reviews signals something is really out of whack, or there's always the possibility that it is your competition trying to undermine your business. Dealing with customers can be difficult at times and it takes a lot of balance, but I believe honesty from both sides is the best policy. As long as that's in place, your business should thrive.
My only 4-star review was from a guest who wrote a glowing review about the place, the host and the neighborhood- then gave us 4-star, lowering our rating. What can I do with that?
Hi Pat. Maybe something like, "We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your rave review, but we aren't sure why after liking the place so much, you only gave us 4 stars". Prospective guests will read this and understand that your place is great and this guest was either not being totally honest, or they had an expectation that they didn't share with you prior to or during their stay. At any rate, a response to their review is always good. Some of our guests tell us that prior to booking they read our responses to guests. It also signals that you are a real person and not a faceless corporation with automated responses.
My only 4-star review was from a guest who wrote a glowing review about the place, the host and the neighborhood- then gave us 4-star, lowering our rating. What can I do with that?
Unfortunately not much you can do about this retroactively. In that case I would personally just respond and say "Thank you so much for the kind review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay!" This points out the fact that the review is actually good, even if the stars weren't, and I think most future guests will see through that.
We had one like this in our first few reviews. What I did to combat this was make the review standard clear to guests in all your messages to them. In our check-in message, at the end we say "We strive to provide all our guests with a 5-Star experience. If at any point in your stay your experience is not meeting this expectation please let us know immediately. We want to do everything we can to make sure your stay is perfect!"
Then after check-out, right when the review window opens, we send them a review request specifically stating that they were awesome guests and that we gave them a 5-star review and it would mean a lot to us if they gave us one as well.
Mentioning 5-stars several times helps make them realize that 5-stars is the standard. Many people just don't know this and treat it like a Google review where 3 is fine, 4 is good and 5 is perfection. In reality we as hosts know the platforms treat is as 5=Pass, 4 or less=Fail.
Since doing this in our messages we had all 5-star reviews for about 18 months straight until this most recent one.
Just respond honestly and with integrity, and most people will see through a negative review.
We reply to every review no matter what they said! This not only looks good to other potential guests, but also the OTA algorithm. ChatGPT is a wonderful tool for reviews that were unreasonable. Although you may need to edit some of the responses it's gives back.