What to do following this not so good review?

What to do following this not so good review?

Mike LambertPro Member
Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hi everyone,

After replying to hundreds of posts, I never thought I'd be the one posting and asking to the community for help but I guess everything has a first time! :)

We have a new listing on Airbnb. There is a designer sofa bed in the living room with a queen bed with a comfortable mattress in it and it was pretty expensive. Before listing the property, we were using it for ourselves and our family and friends. Once, somebody older from our family mentioned that the sofa bed wasn't that comfortable if you sit for a long period of time in it. Otherwise, no complaints and some mentioned it was actually (very) comfortable. Personally, I'm fine with it but I'm not very demanding for a sofa so it means little. I was told that, by definition, a sofa bed would be less comfortable than a sofa because of the metal in it. We then listed the property on Airbnb. We got two 5-star reviews. And then the third review came. We were hoping for another 5-star to start with an official 5-star review but we got the review that kills, a 4-star bringing us down to 4.67 below the direct competition and also with a content that I think could prevent further bookings. Here's the review:

"We had a very nice vacation. Lucky with the weather. House is well equipped with everything you need. One small point of criticism; we were there in the winter and in the evening a lot to play a game or watch TV. The couch is very bad, but fortunately many pillows and throws so we were able to make the comfort acceptable! Everything else is great!"

What should we do in your opinion:

1. Keep the sofa-bed and not reply to the review?

2. Keep the sofa bed but reply to the review? How best to do it?

3. Replace the sofa bed by a sofa and reply to the review thanking the guest for his feedback and mentioning the substitution (somebody has suggested that maybe we could change the inside of the cushions.

4. Buy a sofa and keep the sofa bed to keep the extra-capacity, at the risk of cluttering the living room too much?

5. Any other ideas?

I'm not sure if I'm making too much of this but my concern is that if I was the one looking for a property in the area:
- I would discard the property without looking at it because the competition has higher ratings.
- If I still look at it, I would discard it because why take the risk on a bad sofa when I can rent a similar property without such comment.
- Once we get more great reviews, the influence of that one will reduce but we have to make sure it doesn't prevent us to get bookings in the first place!
- Somebody else in the future could find the sofa bed not that comfortable too and "confirm" that review, which make things even worse.

Thank you so much!

Mike

0Reply
764 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y

I would replace the mattress or replace the sofa bed.

Also a 4 star review is still considered a good review. I was expecting you to say you got a 2 star review.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    not an expert at this.. but the few times i have rented STR I don't even look at reviews

    I rent by price.. as its usually for a fishing trip and I just want a bed bathroom and close to the lake or river LOl could care less about a review.  of course not really good feedback and I suspect I am in the minority but I don't look at reviews on anything or if I did would take them with a grain of salt.. From my experience selling RE and building new homes your just not going to please everyone

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:

    Hi everyone,

    After replying to hundreds of posts, I never thought I'd be the one posting and asking to the community for help but I guess everything has a first time! :)

    We have a new listing on Airbnb. There is a designer sofa bed in the living room with a queen bed with a comfortable mattress in it and it was pretty expensive. Before listing the property, we were using it for ourselves and our family and friends. Once, somebody older from our family mentioned that the sofa bed wasn't that comfortable if you sit for a long period of time in it. Otherwise, no complaints and some mentioned it was actually (very) comfortable. Personally, I'm fine with it but I'm not very demanding for a sofa so it means little. I was told that, by definition, a sofa bed would be less comfortable than a sofa because of the metal in it. We then listed the property on Airbnb. We got two 5-star reviews. And then the third review came. We were hoping for another 5-star to start with an official 5-star review but we got the review that kills, a 4-star bringing us down to 4.67 below the direct competition and also with a content that I think could prevent further bookings. Here's the review:

    "We had a very nice vacation. Lucky with the weather. House is well equipped with everything you need. One small point of criticism; we were there in the winter and in the evening a lot to play a game or watch TV. The couch is very bad, but fortunately many pillows and throws so we were able to make the comfort acceptable! Everything else is great!"

    What should we do in your opinion:

    1. Keep the sofa-bed and not reply to the review?

    2. Keep the sofa bed but reply to the review? How best to do it?

    3. Replace the sofa bed by a sofa and reply to the review thanking the guest for his feedback and mentioning the substitution (somebody has suggested that maybe we could change the inside of the cushions.

    4. Buy a sofa and keep the sofa bed to keep the extra-capacity, at the risk of cluttering the living room too much?

    5. Any other ideas?

    I'm not sure if I'm making too much of this but my concern is that if I was the one looking for a property in the area:
    - I would discard the property without looking at it because the competition has higher ratings.
    - If I still look at it, I would discard it because why take the risk on a bad sofa when I can rent a similar property without such comment.
    - Once we get more great reviews, the influence of that one will reduce but we have to make sure it doesn't prevent us to get bookings in the first place!
    - Somebody else in the future could find the sofa bed not that comfortable too and "confirm" that review, which make things even worse.

    Thank you so much!

    Mike

    I would definitely go with changing out the stuffing of the cushions, Mike.

    It's best to have a response to every single last review on file. One of my personal measures of a good hotel is if someone with a managerial title is taking the time to reply to every review, positive or negative. So I do the same and I've never regretted it.

    So I would start by something about the sofa bed. Changing the insides of the cushions may not change much, but at least it's clear in print and clear to anyone who cares (and know even a little but about upholstery) that you made an effort. If it continues to be a problem, bite the bullet and change the sofabed. I would do it with a standard-quality hardwod futon frame and mattress.

    I had a problem with overhead flushlight fixtures in the bedrooms of my Airbnb myself. The lights I put in to replace the old flushlights wouldn't go out completely, they had a constant low glow in the off position. Some people really can't sleep with that, and so they told us about it, thankfully in the private Airbnb comments. I replaced the switches with dimmers, but even that didn't completely eliminate the problem. But I thought, hey, why not, and left them in place. I figured that people would see the dimmers and at least give me the benefit of the doubt, and they did.

    Then I got comment No. 2 on the same problem, brought in my electrician, and he saw and explained that the lights had been incorrectly wired when I bought the place. The problem is permanently solved now.
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    I would replace the mattress or replace the sofa bed.

    Also a 4 star review is still considered a good review. I was expecting you to say you got a 2 star review.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Mike Lambert. So they were unhappy while sitting on the couch itself or when it is open to a bed?

    If it is couch mode, there might be a few thing you can do to make it a bit more comfortable. If there is an issue with the metal bars that circumnavigate the seating area, you might try using pipe insulation on them. You should be able to fit them on there and secure with a zip tie or maybe tape.

    We have a La-Z-Boy hide-a-bed and it is just as comfortable as the Basset couch and loveseat sitting next to it.

    What brand is the couch? You should be able to add to or replace the cushions to help with the comfort.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the review as you will build up more and it will be canceled out. Are you listed on VRBO as well?

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would follow the advice above to see if you can improve seated comfort but short of that I would not go and replace, at least not yet.  4 stars is good and it seems you will get more 5 stars based on 2 previous to bring it up.  You cannot make everyone happy.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Mike Lambert. So they were unhappy while sitting on the couch itself or when it is open to a bed?

    If it is couch mode, there might be a few thing you can do to make it a bit more comfortable. If there is an issue with the metal bars that circumnavigate the seating area, you might try using pipe insulation on them. You should be able to fit them on there and secure with a zip tie or maybe tape.

    We have a La-Z-Boy hide-a-bed and it is just as comfortable as the Basset couch and loveseat sitting next to it.

    What brand is the couch? You should be able to add to or replace the cushions to help with the comfort.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the review as you will build up more and it will be canceled out. Are you listed on VRBO as well?


     Michael, thank you. The bed is very good for a sofabed. The issue is the seating.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I would replace the mattress or replace the sofa bed.

    Also a 4 star review is still considered a good review. I was expecting you to say you got a 2 star review.


     Thanks John the issue is the seating position. The statistics seem to show and many "experts" seem to say that you now need at least 4.8 to be in the top. Also, it depends on the competitive landscape. Given that there are many properties around that have higher ratings and aren't that less good (and don't have such comment in their reviews), I suppose that it's more of an issue in our case.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    not an expert at this.. but the few times i have rented STR I don't even look at reviews

    I rent by price.. as its usually for a fishing trip and I just want a bed bathroom and close to the lake or river LOl could care less about a review.  of course not really good feedback and I suspect I am in the minority but I don't look at reviews on anything or if I did would take them with a grain of salt.. From my experience selling RE and building new homes your just not going to please everyone


    Thanks Jay, I wish all guests were like you. I'm a bit like that myself, as I'm not too demanding and easy to please. And thank you for always being there to help and contribute! Your #1 title is well deserved!

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Ugh the sofa bed darned if you do and darned if you don't. FWIW I am only concerned about cleanliness when we rent...and that they allow dogs. 

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:

    Hi everyone,

    After replying to hundreds of posts, I never thought I'd be the one posting and asking to the community for help but I guess everything has a first time! :)

    We have a new listing on Airbnb. There is a designer sofa bed in the living room with a queen bed with a comfortable mattress in it and it was pretty expensive. Before listing the property, we were using it for ourselves and our family and friends. Once, somebody older from our family mentioned that the sofa bed wasn't that comfortable if you sit for a long period of time in it. Otherwise, no complaints and some mentioned it was actually (very) comfortable. Personally, I'm fine with it but I'm not very demanding for a sofa so it means little. I was told that, by definition, a sofa bed would be less comfortable than a sofa because of the metal in it. We then listed the property on Airbnb. We got two 5-star reviews. And then the third review came. We were hoping for another 5-star to start with an official 5-star review but we got the review that kills, a 4-star bringing us down to 4.67 below the direct competition and also with a content that I think could prevent further bookings. Here's the review:

    "We had a very nice vacation. Lucky with the weather. House is well equipped with everything you need. One small point of criticism; we were there in the winter and in the evening a lot to play a game or watch TV. The couch is very bad, but fortunately many pillows and throws so we were able to make the comfort acceptable! Everything else is great!"

    What should we do in your opinion:

    1. Keep the sofa-bed and not reply to the review?

    2. Keep the sofa bed but reply to the review? How best to do it?

    3. Replace the sofa bed by a sofa and reply to the review thanking the guest for his feedback and mentioning the substitution (somebody has suggested that maybe we could change the inside of the cushions.

    4. Buy a sofa and keep the sofa bed to keep the extra-capacity, at the risk of cluttering the living room too much?

    5. Any other ideas?

    I'm not sure if I'm making too much of this but my concern is that if I was the one looking for a property in the area:
    - I would discard the property without looking at it because the competition has higher ratings.
    - If I still look at it, I would discard it because why take the risk on a bad sofa when I can rent a similar property without such comment.
    - Once we get more great reviews, the influence of that one will reduce but we have to make sure it doesn't prevent us to get bookings in the first place!
    - Somebody else in the future could find the sofa bed not that comfortable too and "confirm" that review, which make things even worse.

    Thank you so much!

    Mike

    I would definitely go with changing out the stuffing of the cushions, Mike.

    It's best to have a response to every single last review on file. One of my personal measures of a good hotel is if someone with a managerial title is taking the time to reply to every review, positive or negative. So I do the same and I've never regretted it.

    So I would start by something about the sofa bed. Changing the insides of the cushions may not change much, but at least it's clear in print and clear to anyone who cares (and know even a little but about upholstery) that you made an effort. If it continues to be a problem, bite the bullet and change the sofabed. I would do it with a standard-quality hardwod futon frame and mattress.

    I had a problem with overhead flushlight fixtures in the bedrooms of my Airbnb myself. The lights I put in to replace the old flushlights wouldn't go out completely, they had a constant low glow in the off position. Some people really can't sleep with that, and so they told us about it, thankfully in the private Airbnb comments. I replaced the switches with dimmers, but even that didn't completely eliminate the problem. But I thought, hey, why not, and left them in place. I figured that people would see the dimmers and at least give me the benefit of the doubt, and they did.

    Then I got comment No. 2 on the same problem, brought in my electrician, and he saw and explained that the lights had been incorrectly wired when I bought the place. The problem is permanently solved now.

    Thank you Jim! I wish he'd make his comments in the private section too. Considering what he wrote (that everything else was great) and that they could still make themselves comfortable, I think he was pretty harsh mentioning it like that and taking 1 point off the rating. clearly, he wasn't bad meaning but I think some guests don't realize how what they write can negatively affect the owner's business.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    I would follow the advice above to see if you can improve seated comfort but short of that I would not go and replace, at least not yet.  4 stars is good and it seems you will get more 5 stars based on 2 previous to bring it up.  You cannot make everyone happy.

    Andrew, thank you. You're making some great points. We can't do anything for that guest but, beyond the comment and their rating, I'm concerned it happens again since apparently some people don't like the sofa part of the sofa bed that much!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    I would follow the advice above to see if you can improve seated comfort but short of that I would not go and replace, at least not yet.  4 stars is good and it seems you will get more 5 stars based on 2 previous to bring it up.  You cannot make everyone happy.

    Andrew, thank you. You're making some great points. We can't do anything for that guest but, beyond the comment and their rating, I'm concerned it happens again since apparently some people don't like the sofa part of the sofa bed that much!


     Yes if it becomes a constant nagging issue I would consider replacement, but if you can do some triage like reinforcing the cushioning that may be the way to go

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    My preferred method to a less-than-stellar review is to flip the f*** out. 

    Tried-and-true method.

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Seriously, though, I'd replace the couch. And reply to the review telling them you've taken their thoughtful feedback to heart and are replacing the couch. Small pain to avoid bigger pain later. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I would replace the mattress or replace the sofa bed.

    Also a 4 star review is still considered a good review. I was expecting you to say you got a 2 star review.


     Thanks John the issue is the seating position. The statistics seem to show and many "experts" seem to say that you now need at least 4.8 to be in the top. Also, it depends on the competitive landscape. Given that there are many properties around that have higher ratings and aren't that less good (and don't have such comment in their reviews), I suppose that it's more of an issue in our case.

    I don't believe that. I'm going to look at price, location and pictures. 
    I would read reviews and if it was anything significant. I would also read what the owner said and how they corrected the issue.

    I wouldn't worry about one 4 star review 
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Take the cushions to an upholstery shop and see if they can add some cushioning to them, probably by wrapping them in batting. There's no way you should be able to feel the metal bars of the frame through the cushions when seated, no matter what.  But it may be uncomfortable because the foam is hard, and you start to feel that the longer you sit.  If the back of the sofa isn't comfortable, they might be able to work on that, but it will require taking the whole thing into the shop unless it has removable cushions there too.  Having a comfortable sofa to sit on is even more important than the mattress, because all guests will sit on it. 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    1y

    not a fan of sofa beds, but im 6'2 and never fit on them. I took out sofa beds and put in murphy beds with 6" mattress. better size and better sleep

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I wouldn't get too worked up about one review. Just say "we are so sorry to hear that you had issues with the sofa bed" and leave it alone. It's not the end of the world.  

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    A 4 star is good. Also, if you honestly believe every last one of your reviews will be a 5 you may want to look at another business. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    A 4 star is good. Also, if you honestly believe every last one of your reviews will be a 5 you may want to look at another business. 

    Preach Brother Mark!!😁
  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    If it's the only bed in the property that would keep me from rebooking as a client 

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    A 4 star is good. Also, if you honestly believe every last one of your reviews will be a 5 you may want to look at another business. 


    Hey Mark thanks. Great point! No we don't believe or expect to get a 5 every time but we do as if we did as this help us all ensure that we provide the best product and service to our guests and we'll have the best rating we could, even if it's not a 5. You're also correct that 4 star is officially good but, in reality, it's one of the lowest ratings that's being given and it has a disproportionate effect on the property's rating when we list a new property and so we haven't had that many guests and reviews yet.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    A 4 star is good. Also, if you honestly believe every last one of your reviews will be a 5 you may want to look at another business. 


    Hey Mark thanks. Great point! No we don't believe or expect to get a 5 every time but we do as if we did as this help us all ensure that we provide the best product and service to our guests and we'll have the best rating we could, even if it's not a 5. You're also correct that 4 star is officially good but, in reality, it's one of the lowest ratings that's being given and it has a disproportionate effect on the property's rating when we list a new property and so we haven't had that many guests and reviews yet.


     I get it but over time, you are going to have to understand that no matter what you do, eventually you will have an azz that wants to give you a low rating. It just happens. However, when you have so many 5s to counter it, it doesn't matter. There are people out there who just cruise to places inventing problems so they can get discounts or free vacations after threatening low ratings. I've seen people who want to give low ratings because they don't like the wall color or something that happened in the community which had nothing to do with you. If you are managing this yourself, you are off to a great start. You sound like a perfectionist, and I guess it won't hurt things here. Just relax and keep doing what you are doing because I have met several who never got off the great start you have lol. 

  • Josh SedivyBusiness Member
    St. Louis, MO · Member since 2024 · 134 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    I’d recommend option #3—replace the sofa bed with a comfortable sofa and acknowledge the upgrade in your response to the review.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @Mike Lambert:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    A 4 star is good. Also, if you honestly believe every last one of your reviews will be a 5 you may want to look at another business. 


    Hey Mark thanks. Great point! No we don't believe or expect to get a 5 every time but we do as if we did as this help us all ensure that we provide the best product and service to our guests and we'll have the best rating we could, even if it's not a 5. You're also correct that 4 star is officially good but, in reality, it's one of the lowest ratings that's being given and it has a disproportionate effect on the property's rating when we list a new property and so we haven't had that many guests and reviews yet.


     I get it but over time, you are going to have to understand that no matter what you do, eventually you will have an azz that wants to give you a low rating. It just happens. However, when you have so many 5s to counter it, it doesn't matter. There are people out there who just cruise to places inventing problems so they can get discounts or free vacations after threatening low ratings. I've seen people who want to give low ratings because they don't like the wall color or something that happened in the community which had nothing to do with you. If you are managing this yourself, you are off to a great start. You sound like a perfectionist, and I guess it won't hurt things here. Just relax and keep doing what you are doing because I have met several who never got off the great start you have lol. 


    Thank you Mark. All that you wrote makes total sense and thank you for the compliments. In this case, the guests didn't ask us for anything. They actually mentioned in the review that all the rest was great and that they could even solve their perceived uncomfortability issue by using cushions, which we have a lot of. It's even more frustrating as, during their stay, they mentioned that everything was perfect and they didn't even mention the sofa.

    The fact of the matter is that some people find sofa beds less or uncomfortable and so it seems to me that the guests might just have wanted to write an honest review and warn would be guests that our place might not be the right fit for people who spend a lot of time sitting on the sofa and want a comfortable. In line with that, they wouldn't give us a 5 but a 4 instead because, officially, that corresponds to a "good" review on the Airbnb scale. They might also have thought that it's better for us to not have guests who want a super comfortable sofas as they might not write the best reviews in the future.

    What they probably ignore is that anything below 4.8 is in reality "not that good" and could actually be a negative for our business, given the very competitive nature of it. I've been wondering about for a while how we can make guests aware of that without giving the impression that we're trying to force the to give us a high rating.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.