Wildwood, MO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 3 votes
Hey Forum,
I'm brand new to the conversation, I'm doing some early research and I want to make sure I get the most up to date advice. The question is simple What are the best markets right now for STR in Florida? I'm looking to keep it within 3h of Weston, FL so I can do some of the work myself. Thank you!
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
I'm brand new to the conversation, I'm doing some early research and I want to make sure I get the most up to date advice. The question is simple What are the best markets right now for STR in Florida? I'm looking to keep it within 3h of Weston, FL so I can do some of the work myself. Thank you!
well, if you are keeping it within 3 hours of Weston, there is your map.
Welcome to the STR community and congrats on deciding on STRs!
You fortunately live in a part of the country where a lot of ppl vacation, so you have your pick! Naples, Miami, Boca Raton, and Fort Meyers are all probably great places to researching and analyzing properties and market data. Make sure to check out local laws to see if STRs are allowed and if they have restrictions (like they can only operate 180 days/year or you can only have one STR). Find local STR FB groups in the area too! Those are a gold mine of knowledge!
And just FYI, you can do STRs from anywhere. It's the same as if you lived down the street once you can some experience and build your team and systems out. I live in the Midwest and manage properties in central and the Emerald Coast of Florida.
Welcome to the STR community and congrats on deciding on STRs!
You fortunately live in a part of the country where a lot of ppl vacation, so you have your pick! Naples, Miami, Boca Raton, and Fort Meyers are all probably great places to researching and analyzing properties and market data. Make sure to check out local laws to see if STRs are allowed and if they have restrictions (like they can only operate 180 days/year or you can only have one STR). Find local STR FB groups in the area too! Those are a gold mine of knowledge!
And just FYI, you can do STRs from anywhere. It's the same as if you lived down the street once you can some experience and build your team and systems out. I live in the Midwest and manage properties in central and the Emerald Coast of Florida.
Best of luck!
I agree with Joseph in that I wouldn't limit yourself to 3 hours away. I know ow that makes it more convenient for you to be able to check on the property, but you might have better returns if you didn't limit yourself so much by location.
Also Florida has some really high insurance rates right now, so if you find a property your interested in get some insurance quotes before you make any offers.
Investor · Florida, USA · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes
1y
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
Hey Clark, any insight as to how fort lauderdale STR operators are doing? Currently analzing deals in Poinsietta Heights and around FTL but prices/taxes/insurance with the massive competition doesn't seem as appealing as I hoped from my pricelabs data. Thanks!
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
Hey Clark, any insight as to how fort lauderdale STR operators are doing? Currently analzing deals in Poinsietta Heights and around FTL but prices/taxes/insurance with the massive competition doesn't seem as appealing as I hoped from my pricelabs data. Thanks!
I’ll be straight up, I really don’t have any insight on the Fort Lauderdale short-term rental scene. Curious though, what’s been the biggest mismatch between what you expected and what you’re actually seeing? Is it the taxes and insurance being higher than you thought, or more the competition side of things?
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
Hey Clark, any insight as to how fort lauderdale STR operators are doing? Currently analzing deals in Poinsietta Heights and around FTL but prices/taxes/insurance with the massive competition doesn't seem as appealing as I hoped from my pricelabs data. Thanks!
I’ll be straight up, I really don’t have any insight on the Fort Lauderdale short-term rental scene. Curious though, what’s been the biggest mismatch between what you expected and what you’re actually seeing? Is it the taxes and insurance being higher than you thought, or more the competition side of things?
Good question , more competition side from my perspective. Not sure what the typical lead times are for booking but I saw what I would categorize as top 10% tiered listings or similar to what i would do with similar like homes that I’m looking to buy and noticed most of them being wide open. They were also price way above the ADRs for the area so maybe that’s it.
I’m just not use to having so much competition around me. I do feel more comfortable taking a 5th look at the data lol and think that it is certainly possible to profit well. I think going slightly lower than the average ADR will get those slots filled + a great product that stands out. My Airbnbs in Jersey are 90% occ but my ADRs are a hair lower than ADR from pricelabs. Could be a mindset shift on my side that I need to have with higher ADR / Lower occ but I’m still top 10% here so hoping that would result in the same outcome. Just have to factor in depreciation more in the former scenarios.
Hoping to get some insight on this topic as well. We're in the attractions area of the Orlando-metro. Highly oversaturated and looking to diversify across Florida.
Yes, very oversaturated. My firm does property management for LTRs, and there have been a lot of STR owners in CFL approaching us looking to change course and place tenants on a 12-month lease. Been seeing a lot of this for the last six months.
Hey Clark, any insight as to how fort lauderdale STR operators are doing? Currently analzing deals in Poinsietta Heights and around FTL but prices/taxes/insurance with the massive competition doesn't seem as appealing as I hoped from my pricelabs data. Thanks!
I’ll be straight up, I really don’t have any insight on the Fort Lauderdale short-term rental scene. Curious though, what’s been the biggest mismatch between what you expected and what you’re actually seeing? Is it the taxes and insurance being higher than you thought, or more the competition side of things?
Good question , more competition side from my perspective. Not sure what the typical lead times are for booking but I saw what I would categorize as top 10% tiered listings or similar to what i would do with similar like homes that I’m looking to buy and noticed most of them being wide open. They were also price way above the ADRs for the area so maybe that’s it.
I’m just not use to having so much competition around me. I do feel more comfortable taking a 5th look at the data lol and think that it is certainly possible to profit well. I think going slightly lower than the average ADR will get those slots filled + a great product that stands out. My Airbnbs in Jersey are 90% occ but my ADRs are a hair lower than ADR from pricelabs. Could be a mindset shift on my side that I need to have with higher ADR / Lower occ but I’m still top 10% here so hoping that would result in the same outcome. Just have to factor in depreciation more in the former scenarios.
Hey Juan Carlos, within 3 hours of Weston, your best STR markets right now are Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami (strong demand but higher entry cost), and Orlando/Kissimmee (theme park traffic, consistent bookings). Cape Coral and Naples are also good options if you don’t mind stretching the drive. Just watch local regulations before you buy.
Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
1y
@Juan Carlos AnzolaYou should definitely reach out to @Josh Green. He’s based on the west coast of Florida in the Tampa Bay area, just about three hours from Weston, and he’s absolutely crushing it with short-term rentals.
Josh is not only an investor himself, but also an investor-focused agent, and he runs a STR property management company that has all the systems in place to position a short-term rental for serious success. He's helped a lot of investors I've worked with in similar situations, and the results speak for themselves.
This isn’t a sales pitch—just sharing what I know to be true.
Within 3 hours of Weston, I’d look at West Palm/Fort Lauderdale (steady tourism + business travel), Naples/Marco Island (higher-end, but pricier buy-in), and the Space Coast (Cocoa Beach/Melbourne) if you want more affordable options. Biggest thing is checking local regs since a lot of cities are tightening up.
Are you thinking more about catering to vacationers or mid-term stays?
Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
1y
We are property managers in Jacksonville, Florida and certain parts of Jax do really well for short term rentals. We have a listing now that's for sale in the Historic Riverside area that's generating over $40,000 in annual gross revenue after Airbnb fees. It's frequently booked. Other areas that do well for STR here are San Marco and of course the beaches. Hope this helps and best of luck!
There isn't such a thing as a "best STR market". What might be best for me isn't necessarily what is best for you.
I couldn't agree more with this, figure out what your buy box is and what your comfortable with. I personally have been investing in an area that isn't your typical vacation rental, and it's been crushing it. Look where others aren't, be different and take calculated risks. Always have multiple exit strategies.
Fort Lauderdale a short drive from Weston, Fort Lauderdale offers a vibrant tourism scene with its beaches, nightlife, and cultural attractions. It's a popular destination for both domestic and international travelers. DirectionsWebsite2Hollywood BeachLocated between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, Hollywood Beach boasts a beautiful boardwalk, family-friendly atmosphere, and a variety of dining and entertainment options, appealing to a diverse range of visitors. Directions3Pompano BeachKnown for its impressive short-term rental performance, Pompano Beach maintains high occupancy rates and substantial average annual revenue, making it a notable market for STR investments. DirectionsWebsite4NaplesOffering upscale shopping, fine dining, and beautiful beaches, Naples attracts affluent travelers looking for a luxurious getaway, presenting opportunities for high-end STR investments. DirectionsWebsite5Marco IslandKnown for its pristine beaches and upscale amenities, Marco Island attracts tourists seeking a more tranquil and luxurious vacation experience, making it a promising market for STRs. Directions6Key BiscayneA tranquil island community with upscale amenities, Key Biscayne offers a more serene alternative to the bustling city life, attracting visitors seeking relaxation and natural beauty. DirectionsWebsite7Fort Myers BeachSituated on the Gulf Coast, Fort Myers Beach is known for its white sandy beaches, water sports, and vibrant local culture, making it a favorite among vacationers. Directions
These markets are within your desired radius and offer a mix of attractions that draw tourists throughout the year. Each location has its unique appeal, so consider the type of guests you aim to attract and the kind of experience you want to provide when making your decision.
Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
8mo
@Juan Carlos Anzola reach out to @Josh Green. He'll likely recommend that you hire someone to do the work themself, rather than spend your valuable time doing it yourself. He has helped a ton of BP investors in the Tampa Bay area successfully acquire STR's. There is a specific formula though and must be followed, or else you'll have a tough time standing out!
Property Manager · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 18 posts · 13 votes
8mo
Hey Juan, Did you end up settling in the area to find a STR? to follow up on your post, and as many people noted, make sure to check local rules and HOAs in specific neighborhoods. Some do not let a buyer lease their home for a year or two after purchase date. There is a lot of STR on the market, but with more snowbirds moving down here, there is always a need. Just have to find the right location with amenities and proximity to things like beaches, downtowns, golf courses or land for equestrian events if you are looking near Wellington.